Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately we just don’t have the midfield class to match it with the top 4 teams. It’s time we say thank you and goodbye to Luke Dunstan and Seb Ross. Dunstan makes poor decisions and executes them even more poorly. Ross takes forever to get boot to ball and has this ‘knack’ of slowing down the game when we need to go fast. They’ve been on our list for a long time and in that time we’ve played finals once. It would be absolute madness to go into next season with these two on our list. Bytel, Byrnes and Connolly will improve our midfield and offer significantly more skill.

If max king doesn’t get injured we probably win that game, completely threw us off. Very similar to how Marshall got injured the last time we played them and it threw out of structure. Oh well, our season was pretty much lost before this game anyway.
Exactly and we have to be better than that. We have to get a system in place that works regardless of personnel.

We are so fragile at the moment - we are like a Fabergé egg: beautiful and flawless for the first 25 mins then a cracked crumbly mess after King first went off with that injury.

And we have Bytel in the magoos
Dunstan, 20 disposals at 60% efficiency, 4 tackles, 5 clearances, 8 clangers and 3 free kicks against.. not good enough.. Ratten should have just sit Dunstan on Dangerfield in the midfield and tackle him to the ground any time he touches it..

At least we know Bytel will get chances next year..

Kent, Dunstan, Ross, Billings, Long all from the Ross era.. fumble, fall over and questionable decision making or/and poor skills..

Long-term thoughts.

- I hope Dunstan and Ross end up being kept as depth or traded if we get some decent offers. I appreciate what they've offered the club but they just regularly have brain fades or have patches of games where they go missing, it kills the team.

- Given our midfield recruits over the last 2 years or so, I'd like to see us try Gresham back up forward at least part time, he's pretty similar to Higgins and together I feel they could cause serious head aches for opposition teams.

- I'd love to see Hunter Clark come back in with a bit more bulk, feel another year of development will see him become a real Pendlebury/Whitfield level and type of player.

- Max King is gonna terrorise opposition teams like Josh Kennedy was doing a few years back. His leading patterns finally look good and we're not just bombing it on his head, and so far looks close to unplayable.

- We need to look at a good, ready to play, tap ruckman to pair with Marshal. Ryder in his mid-30's and Marshal just doesn't do well playing solo ruck doing all the tap work.

Frustrating year but the development of Ming, Byrnes, Connoly and Sharman is promising. Still plenty of quality injured players to come back next year as well.

Also, at least we didn't lose by 100 points with a finals chance on the line and in a 300 game for a former club captain lolol

Because he gets fu** all possessions in the seniors. There's a spot for him if he wants it.
He is never in the seniors. How is he supposed to get AFL experience when treacle slow useless ball butchers like Dunstan are taking his spot?

I dont care if we get nothing for Dunstan get him out of the team, an absolute liability.

Dunstan, Steele and Jones were all sh*t after half time, Crouch nominally better but not much. Never seen Steele so quiet for so long.

They're (Geelong) just too experienced. They just know each others game so well that they know someone will kick in...and get the gears moving. Our guys are made of bog average stock that try hard, mercenaries, and one solid jet in Steele, all playing to the dwindling hope that Marshall will become a gun ruck. Hopefully another pre-season sees them synchronise a bit better. We just need better cohesion.
Jones disappears every third game...and always in clutch matches. He needs to work on that.

He is never in the seniors. How is he supposed to get AFL experience when treacle slow useless ball butchers like Dunstan are taking his spot?

I dont care if we get nothing for Dunstan get him out of the team, an absolute liability.
Pumping up his trade value

He has. Is it because we're trying to turn him into a tap ruckman? That was never his thing. He was pluck and kick type.
I don't think learning a new skill should feasibly take away from other attributes. It's not like bulking someone up and losing agility. He's going to tap the ball anyway, what's the harm in him tapping it a little more accurately

Dunstan, 20 disposals at 60% efficiency, 4 tackles, 5 clearances, 8 clangers and 3 free kicks against.. not good enough.. Ratten should have just sit Dunstan on Dangerfield in the midfield and tackle him to the ground any time he touches it..

At least we know Bytel will get chances next year..

Kent, Dunstan, Ross, Billings, Long all from the Ross era.. fumble, fall over and questionable decision making or/and poor skills..
Dunstan couldn't go with Danger, worst spreader and running in the club

Dunstan, Steele and Jones were all sh*t after half time, Crouch nominally better but not much. Never seen Steele so quiet for so long.

Yeah he's in my AFL fantasy squad, normally gets 140 , while most of our others get 80 or less. Today he only got 100 odd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a bright note, bloody stoked for Hanners, he is class. Imagine a fit Hanners all these years. He won't get back to his peak, but hopefully he gets something positive from the rest of his footy days. It's at the point now we just keep playing him until he blows up. Maybe we've been over-sensitive with the calfs? I don't know.

Exactly and we have to be better than that. We have to get a system in place that works regardless of personnel.

We are so fragile at the moment - we are like a Fabergé egg: beautiful and flawless for the first 25 mins then a cracked crumbly mess after King first went off with that injury.

We need a dominant ruck man. Stanley gave their mids service we didn't even have a chop out of Roma. Joyce actually won his taps but once he was concussed by some campaigner we had no-one else.

It's almost as if he needs some consistent game time and freedom.
Instead the dunny butcher kills the momentum again

I thought Dunny was good early but like all our mids he didn't touch it after half time.

On a bright note, bloody stoked for Hanners, he is class. Imagine a fit Hanners all these years. He won't get back to his peak, but hopefully he gets something positive from the rest of his footy days. It's at the point now we just keep playing him until he blows up. Maybe we've been over-sensitive with the calfs? I don't know.
You see how his brain works with the ball. I hope he's working with the younger mids to learn that. If we end up drafting 3 young mids in one draft I want him mentoring them 24/7

Geelong had 105 more disposals, 36 more marks, 11 more clearances, 13 more inside 50s and yet we were in it right till the end

Work rate and bigger bodies killed us, we were manhandled badly in the second half.

Reinforces what we know, we need our own big bodied tall mids that work both ways. Draft time cannot come soon enough.

Props to Sinclair, super ball use.

Great post

We need a dominant ruck man. Stanley gave their mids service we didn't even have a chop out of Roma. Joyce actually won his taps but once he was concussed by some campaigner we had no-one else.
Max Heath next week please. Covid means there's no school footy. result means nothing so I'd be pissed if we injured King more, he's proven everything he needs to this year. We'd love at least a look at our new ruck and let him get his feet wet before preseason and next year. Just let him play the 200cm forward bringing the ball to ground and providing a target, let Membrey and Sharman work their magic

Pumping up his trade value
Not with games like today. I like how Dunstan had resurrected his career, but we have too many like types and a ball butcher in Crouch, we simply cant have him and Crouch in the same team.

I hope he finds a home and does really well. Has tried hard but we need to move on.
Anyway enough of Luke. What about young Coops?
He, Highmore, Connelly and Byrnes have been very good for us, the first three a real surprise. We have done well with later picks.

As always disappointed with a so near, yet so far loss.
TBH we really couldn’t get near it for three quarters, lucky in a way we started so red hot to give us some breathing space.

Umps did not help.

But neither did some seriously dumb footy; who kicks across defensive goals when there are opposition players right there? Just head in hands stuff. Not only Hill, but he’s done it way too often this year, with lazy little kicks. Can’t remember who kicked it right across the goals for a turnover goal close to the end but while we still had a tiny sniff.

Positives are a much improved second half of the season where we’ve seen that last year wasn’t just a flash in the pan.
We’ve also found a few, but clarified exactly where our gaps are and who we can happily move on.

Sincs has had a huge season.
Sharman, wow, 6 goals in first three games and as composed as a 100 gamer.
King - no explanation necessary.
Highmore
Connolly
Byrnes
Let’s not forget a resurrected DMac.

And more than likely, Bytel.

Disappointing year, but lots to look forward to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back