Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted that seven and a half years ago. I hoped he would succeed, but amazed he made it to 100 games.
Thanks for your service.

Posted six years ago. He didn't improve.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

So easy to see. Our recruiters back then were absolutely blind. It's almost criminal. :(
Our recruiters back then were too high over leadership skills, good family, non existent x-factor and versatility (flankers turning to mids)... needless to say, not many worked out..

Ratts, please get a proper idea on game plan and put players in their natural positions e.g. the one they been playing most of their junior careers.. a few players may have the skills/nous to play multiple positions, but not many can..

Last edited:
Cooper Sharman will be a good player, Just needs a preseason and I think he will be best 25 all next year. Agreed with getting rid of Dunstan, Billings and Ross. Connolly has gone past all of them and same with Brynes. Let's see what Bytel has to offer with a string of games and another preseason.

I don't think learning a new skill should feasibly take away from other attributes. It's not like bulking someone up and losing agility. He's going to tap the ball anyway, what's the harm in him tapping it a little more accurately

Yeah it shouldn't. But you can see it's changed his natural game. It might add 10-20% to his game which is great, but at the moment I think he's over doing it and forgotten his natural game which he excelled at. He'll be better for it going forward though.

No doubt, Geelong were the better team over the 4 quarters, BUT, how much of a momentum changer was it when we were 5 goals up and the ump plucked that "blocking" free against McKenzie - gifting them their first goal?
yep. definitely some shocking decisions but overall can't complain about that loss. We tried and they tried harder

Gone backwards big time - Nothing like the player that broke out a few years ago

Looks like he just never got his rhythm this year with injuries.

- Missed 3.
- Played 1.
- Missed 1.
- Played 4.
- Missed 4.
- Played 4.
- Missed 1.
- Played 3.

Pretty hard to get any sort of continuity in a year like that.

They're (Geelong) just too experienced. They just know each others game so well that they know someone will kick in...and get the gears moving. Our guys are made of bog average stock that try hard, mercenaries, and one solid jet in Steele, all playing to the dwindling hope that Marshall will become a gun ruck. Hopefully another pre-season sees them synchronise a bit better. We just need better cohesion.
Jones disappears every third game...and always in clutch matches. He needs to work on that.
Not many people will agree, but Marshall is just not a tap ruckman.. he is a tall forward playing ruck and can give a 2nd effort after the initial ball up... Stanley is average(no. 16 in AFL for hit outs), but still beat Marshall..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our recruiters back then we’re too high over leadership skills, x-factor and versatility (flankers turning to mids)... needless to say, not many worked out..

Ratts, please get a proper idea on game plan and put players in their natural positions e.g. the one they been playing most of their junior careers.. a few players may have the skills/nous to play multiple positions, but not many can..

You mean like how he has utilised McKenzie, connolly, byrnes, Sinclair and King. But let's just hang our hat on Battle shall we...ffs

Also this is what happened to Melbourne last year, Terrible against teams they were meant to beat and played blinders against team the weren't going to beat. They bring in a very good coach and now they have a real shot at a grand final.

Could have done with some vanilling Billings tonight I reckon… a bit of boring ball control I don't mind.

Hill and Billing can call themselves Hilly Vanilli. Get a lip sync act going.. Honestly we lost it when Hanners was on the field but didn't actually play, Hill flopped, Byrnes had a drop off, DMac didn't get many touches, the midfielders couldn't get a touch and we had no system to move the ball out of defence.....and were still in the match until the last 5 minutes against a top 2 side. it was frustrating but also frustratingly close.

Getting some new assistant coaches in pre season will invigorate this group and help improve our game plan. Much needed.
We need a Don Pyke type - change our ball movement, fresh ideas etc triggering bro

No doubt, Geelong were the better team over the 4 quarters, BUT, how much of a momentum changer was it when we were 5 goals up and the ump plucked that "blocking" free against McKenzie - gifting them their first goal?

A couple to Danger and Flop Selwood that weren't there as well.

won't get much mention but lets talk about Joyce's position in the side for a bit. I think he's proven himself worthy of a spot. Doesn't get the most touches but strong and physical enough to go with the big boys, one more preseason should do him well. Never shies away from a contest either
I’ve always liked him. Competent defender IMO okay disposal etc

Battle/Joyce next CHB with Carlisle basically cooked

Absolutely the point I'm making is people saying he has gone backwards are wrong, I think he has done well this season considering all the injuries he has had

His season overall wasn't great but injury was probably a large part of that.

I’ve always liked him. Competent defender IMO okay disposal etc

Battle/Joyce next CHB with Carlisle basically cooked
let Dougal Howard do the classier intercepty stuff and just let Joyce go man on man with the biggest forward. I imagine he wouldn't take a single bit of shit from Tom Lynch. Would sit him on his within seconds

won't get much mention but lets talk about Joyce's position in the side for a bit. I think he's proven himself worthy of a spot. Doesn't get the most touches but strong and physical enough to go with the big boys, one more preseason should do him well. Never shies away from a contest either

I like him, his goal saving foot out smother, his closing speed and precise kicking all look the goods. I'd persist with him.

Not many people will agree, but Marshall is just not a tap ruckman.. he is a tall forward playing ruck and can give a 2nd effort after the initial ball up... Stanley is average(no. 16 in AFL for hit outs), but still beat Marshall..

Marshall is effective around the ground, and plays like a massive bodied midfielder...but absolutely agree with you about his ruck craft. He's good for a chop out and not much else. That's not being harsh either...just the truth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back