Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

fight club brad pitt gif GIF
There's going to be a new sport at the next olympics replacing break dancing.
It's going to be called shadow wrestling and that D.H. Michael Christian is going
to win the gold medal.
H.T.F. didn't Zurhaar get charged with his attack on Harley is a mystery that the club
should ask the V/AFL why.

I really think these late season gutsy wins are far, far more beneficial to the team than getting 1 or 2 picks earlier in the draft - particularly given there is not a Harley Reid on the line this year.

Maybe we are getting a dead cat/coach bounce but watching the cementing of the camaraderie gives a lot of hope that whatever comes after the season finishes the players will be buying in big time because they want to celebrate each others success and development. The oldies are digging in and trying to be leaders - not always consistent - but they are trying. The young blokes are getting around each other, taking the game on and running their guts out.

This is the hard slog and the bonding that premiership sides go through. The forging of relationships that see players take smaller deals than they could get elsewhere, sign that extra contract because they believe in and want the success with these team mates.

Really good signs IMO. These are the green shoots. Irrespective of whether Schofield gets the gig long term, he should be very proud of what he has achieved with the playing group in a short space of time. Another big tick on his CV. He'll be a head coach at one club or another before long.

I really think these late season gutsy wins are far, far more beneficial to the team than getting 1 or 2 picks earlier in the draft - particularly given there is not a Harley Reid on the line this year.

Maybe we are getting a dead cat/coach bounce but watching the cementing of the camaraderie gives a lot of hope that whatever comes after the season finishes the players will be buying in big time because they want to celebrate each others success and development. The oldies are digging in and trying to be leaders - not always consistent - but they are trying. The young blokes are getting around each other, taking the game on and running their guts out.

This is the hard slog and the bonding that premiership sides go through. The forging of relationships that see players take smaller deals than they could get elsewhere, sign that extra contract because they believe in and want the success with these team mates.

Really good signs IMO. These are the green shoots. Irrespective of whether Schofield gets the gig long term, he should be very proud of what he has achieved with the playing group in a short space of time. Another big tick on his CV. He'll be a head coach at one club or another before long.

It's the same as North winning vs GC last year, but you're spot on - when there's no Harley Reid on the line then these wins are worth much more.

Eat shit North.

Couldn't agree more = culture! (good culture)

View attachment 2076733
For the highest volume shooters in the game, Waterman trails only the Coleman leading Hogan for accuracy.

He is unbelievably accurate. For reference, JK’s career average was 58.0%. Jake is 40.16 from set shots.

View attachment 2076737

As an aside, here’s the entire league (minimum 6 goals) ranked by accuracy:

View attachment 2076734

Also another reason why J.Williams is such an outstanding prospect - he's turning out to be a very reliable shot on goal.

What's up with that? Is he being offered a job elsewhere, or just ducks n' drakes?
I can't see TB leaving WC?

Half the competition is after him and at least four Victorian clubs are offering significantly more in both dollars and years than what he is on at West Coast.

There also seems to be some animosity with the club over a verbal agreement with his contract that was not met by the club whilst Nisbett was still calling the shots. That has been somewhat rectified since Pyke came in, but the damage is seemingly already done.

S.Mitchell is known to have caught up with him in Perth prior to the match in Round 16 to pitch the potential of an end of season trade - media reports since have stated this meeting has swayed Barrass to prefer the Hawks as his choice destination in 2025.

Much speculation also exists in regard to his siblings, who is he very close with, relocating to Melbourne as well.

It currently looks far more likely than not that Barrass will be playing elsewhere next season.

Last edited:
Looking at the last 2 minutes, it was a gutsy mark from Gaff but a poor kick into our forward line. He kicked it from just inside 50 and tried to go as long as possible (he has battled to kick it 40 m for goals this year so no surprise there). No way was he likely to make the distance. The right play would have been to lay it up at the top of the goal square and give a chance to mark it or space for getting the loose ball. Oscar was pretty much left unattended running back to the marking contest (Xerri was his closest opponent)and hence was free to crumb the spoil and slot it in.

So great to have the win but that was not the final play that I would expect in future,

It's the same as North winning vs GC last year, but you're spot on - when there's no Harley Reid on the line then these wins are worth much more.

Eat shit North.
The win was important for us... because we have Harley Reid at stake. Need to make sure he enjoys some wins during this stage so he stays for the premiership victories.

Looking at the last 2 minutes, it was a gutsy mark from Gaff but a poor kick into our forward line. He kicked it from just inside 50 and tried to go as long as possible (he has battled to kick it 40 m for goals this year so no surprise there). No way was he likely to make the distance. The right play would have been to lay it up at the top of the goal square and give a chance to mark it or space for getting the loose ball. Oscar was pretty much left unattended running back to the marking contest (Xerri was his closest opponent)and hence was free to crumb the spoil and slot it in.

So great to have the win but that was not the final play that I would expect in future,

Post game he said he was doubting he had the distance covered so moved it quick to give the forwards the chance to steal a goal and clinch the game.

Harley fined for being involved in a melee. Only player charged, how are you in a melee by yourself?
What's going on with Harley? Seems to be getting target by the establishment big time. The umpires I get, as he has been chirping off to them and has put them offside (I dont like it but I understand why it is happening), but now the MRO?

I think Gaff choosing to bang it in as deep as he could was fine for that particular game state. Conceding a point levels the scores with the whole field to traverse. It was a fair bet North would try not to force the behind so putting the maximum mental pressure on the defence seems fine to me. If a point had left North still leading it would have been a poor choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior to our third quarter blitz I reckon that game was the worst game we played since getting flogged by Hawks last year.

To he 30 points down to norf is seriously damning.

So no I'm not jumping around after that win it was a good win but I have a sour taste in my mouth

What's going on with Harley? Seems to be getting target by the establishment big time. The umpires I get, as he has been chirping off to them and has put them offside (I dont like it but I understand why it is happening), but now the MRO?

Maybe the replay shows him starting it?

He does react a tad. Needs to pick his time and place. Not every second contest.

Post game he said he was doubting he had the distance covered so moved it quick to give the forwards the chance to steal a goal and clinch the game.
Idea right to move it on but very short sighted as to where he was to kick it. Gaff had struggled to kick it from 40 m most of this year and I think every poster here knew he did not have the journey.

Where he kicked it to should have been advantage Norf. He kicked it to within 2 metres of goal line and Norf should have just fisted it through the goals. Xerri was keeping an eye on Allen and not flying for it. Only Xerri can tell you why not.

1723440868743.png

By going long, it was a bit easier for Oscar to know where the ball was going. Top of the square and it could have gone backwards to a North defender who could have cleared. Going as deep as possible meant the ball could only come forward (North wouldnt rush it as that would conceed a draw) so it was easier to crumb. Also have a look at the work Jack Darling did in that contest, he held two North players at bay and stopped them flying for a mark. He is still a brute.

Idea right to move it on but very short sighted as to where he was to kick it. Gaff had struggled to kick it from 40 m most of this year and I think every poster here knew he did not have the journey.

Where he kicked it to should have been advantage Norf. He kicked it to within 2 metres of goal line and Norf should have just fisted it through the goals. Xerri was keeping an eye on Allen and not flying for it. Only Xerri can tell you why not.

View attachment 2077206

I see you as being a pretty astute follower of the game AtG. Is it really your opinion that North should have conceded the score levelling behind and backed themselves to move the ball into a scoring position with under 30 seconds left? The draw/win option is perceived as better play than the risk of a loss?

Not trying to be a smart-arse. Just genuinely curious as I think it was a very reasonable assumption by Gaff and co that North wouldn't want to concede the leveller.

By going long, it was a bit easier for Oscar to know where the ball was going. Top of the square and it could have gone backwards to a North defender who could have cleared. Going as deep as possible meant the ball could only come forward (North wouldnt rush it as that would conceed a draw) so it was easier to crumb. Also have a look at the work Jack Darling did in that contest, he held two North players at bay and stopped them flying for a mark. He is still a brute.
As Gaff was about to kick, Oscar was walking with his back to the play and Bailey was jogging back for the contest.

1723441690925.png

What these shots show is that we were very lucky. You would put Oscar down as a marking option normally and not your crumbing option. Based on his position

I would hope in the future we do not set up like this needing a goal to win. A point was most likely going to ill the game off.

I am not with you that Oscar kew where it was going as he ran back and you can see in the final frame he was looking for a mark at the top of the square

1723441897272.png

I see you as being a pretty astute follower of the game AtG. Is it really your opinion that North should have conceded the score levelling behind and backed themselves to move the ball into a scoring position with under 30 seconds left? The draw/win option is perceived as better play than the risk of a loss?

Not trying to be a smart-arse. Just genuinely curious as I think it was a very reasonable assumption by Gaff and co that North wouldn't want to concede the leveller.
Fair call that a point levels the score. Thinking the scenarios through again, as Norf I would hope that it is punched with a massive first through to the boundary line. Very easy to waste 30 seconds with boundary throw ins when you have the ruck dominance.

We were lucky Xerri first of all followed Bailey back to the square and then saw Oscar was unmarked and Xerri stayed in between Oscar and Bailey and was caught in no mans land guarding space.

Half the competition is after him and at least four Victorian clubs are offering significantly more in both dollars and years than what he is on at West Coast.

There also seems to be some animosity with the club over a verbal agreement with his contract that was not met by the club whilst Nisbett was still calling the shots. That has been somewhat rectified since Pyke came in, but the damage is seemingly already done.

S.Mitchell is known to have caught up with him in Perth prior to the match in Round 16 to pitch the potential of an end of season trade - media reports since have stated this meeting has swayed Barrass to prefer the Hawks as his choice destination in 2025.

Much speculation also exists in regard to his siblings, who is he very close with, relocating to Melbourne as well.

It currently looks far more likely than not that Barrass will be playing elsewhere next season.
Thanks, appreciate the informative update!
Just read the trade thread and yes fell way behind on the Barrass story, my bad.
Good golly miss molly, who will we get?

Last edited:
I love Norf. The club that keeps taking mediocrity to new heights.

2023 when they should lose to get access to the greatest talent since Judd got drafted, they beat GC and hand us Reid.
2024 when they should win to keep building on some recent good performances, they lose and instead hand WCE that very same self belief.

I wonder what gifts they have in store for us in 2025?

As Gaff was about to kick, Oscar was walking with his back to the play and Bailey was jogging back for the contest.

View attachment 2077224

What these shots show is that we were very lucky. You would put Oscar down as a marking option normally and not your crumbing option. Based on his position

I would hope in the future we do not set up like this needing a goal to win. A point was most likely going to kill the game off.

I am not with you that Oscar knew where it was going as he ran back and you can see in the final frame he was looking for a mark at the top of the square

View attachment 2077240
Was under the impression that Allen had already signalled Gaff where to kick (according to the lengthy analysis from the North board). What was incredible was the time and space they gave Allen to move around by himself?
Fortunately Allen is dangerous regardless of who did what...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back