Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

It also highlights both Oscars Iq and agility as a key forward. He didn’t go to the goals like every other tall as he knew Gaff wasn’t making the distances. He was then not only able to crumb it but a split second kick that goals from a difficultish with heaps of players bearing down on him.

Honestly don’t get the Oscar hate or people wanting him traded or moved back. This guy is still 25 and his ceiling is a lot higher than someone like say a Jake waterman. We need to get him fit and get some continuity in him. Remember while JK was a gun for a while he never really hit that legendary stage of his career till 28.

I never wanna see Oscar moved back unless it’s late in game or to ice a game.

He only just got to the contest in time, but knew it would land short and that NM couldn't punch it through for a point if they wanted to win the game.

So he went front & centre and the rest is history.

He only just got to the contest in time, but knew it would land short and that NM couldn't punch it through for a point if they wanted to win the game.

So he went front & centre and the rest is history.

Oscar lead from the front after halftime he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and powered Wce to a great win 🥇..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oscar lead from the front after halftime he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and powered Wce to a great win 🥇..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Great second half, poor first half by Allen. Even his body language was deflating, not what you need from a leader. Glass half full I guess.

In the end we just beat a bottom team, but it was a come from behind away win. So it has merit - it was also very enjoyable to watch.
Our mids were outclassed and killed for pace of most of the game. A worry.
We should now be set to beat Carlton in Perth as a statement. It looks like they will be depleated.

Watched a replay and it really isn't our best game by a long way and we still put up 100 points!

Allen is involved in so many plays outside of his goals, just that in the first half literally nothing worked for him.

Can't believe how many times our players lost their feet, I didn't count but I am sure it was around 20.

Duggan needs to learn to kick goals on the run, he can get in really good positions as that person roaming the corridor and it would add a serious weapon to his game. Was a bit sloppy in this game.

Mids were no where near as prolific as last week. Yeo though 2 great goals, Kelly leading tackles and pressure acts. Not Reid's best game, looked hampered. All of them down in disposals and in the end Bailey Williams lead them all with 8 clearances.

Hunt's worst ball use of the year I think. His last two weeks have been highly contested and hasn't managed to get it in space and break the lines with Ginbey doing the majority of that.

The win is so sweet watching it back after Sheezel plays for a free kick for the 50m penalty and goal. A lot of their 2nd half goals come from free kick influenced plays.

it’s going to be interesting to see across his career if mckerchers desire changes from inflating his own disposal numbers to doing what’s best for the team.

One of my gripes with him last year prior to the afl was that on many occasions instead of releasing a team mate with a flat direct handball he’d feed them a loopy slow handball which left his team mate with little option but to give the one two. Saw a couple yesterday with completely unneccesary handballs to stationary opponents in front of him for the sole purpose of receiving the follow up possession.

I think he’ll be a good player as he has the work rate to get from contest to contest but I’ll take 30 possession mckercher games with a grain of salt until I see this changes.

Apologies if this has already been posted, but a really good in depth look at the last 2 mins from the opposition POV

Leadership and game awareness really hurts north late, but some excellent analysis here

We should now be set to beat Carlton in Perth as a statement. It looks like they will be depleted.
With hopefully TB back, that would be the icing on the cake, a 3-peat! Might make the Cats very nervous down at Mdma stadium.

Duggan needs to learn to kick goals on the run, he can get in really good positions as that person roaming the corridor and it would add a serious weapon to his game. Was a bit sloppy in this game.
His kicking in general can be woeful given his experience, and when he does have a set shot on goal, just doesn't look confident. But he does provide a lot of drive and nails some of his kicks on the run, has improved a bit this season. But coach needs to work on his kicking and goal skills ALL preseason - as you say he'd be a weapon. Same applies to Ginbey a bit (can cut him slack as doesn't have same experience or paypacket as Dugs)

Mids have definitely played better, may have been a bit banged up from Suns game, Reid looked sore towards the end. Hopefully all comes together against Carlton.
Snake had a mare, missed a few, as did Oscar - we could've been well up if not for some of the uncharacteristic misses. But arguably our fightback started when Snake finally goaled late in the third.

Cripps proving the doubters wrong once again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So hang on. Harley & Duggo get fined for minor things and nothing for Zuhaar trying to tough up Reid? Makes sense.
If you look closely, you can see that Harley was in a melee with himself alone. So it makes sense that he's the only one who copped a fine. Kid needs to take it easier on himself next time.

If you look closely, you can see that Harley was in a melee with himself alone. So it makes sense that he's the only one who copped a fine. Kid needs to take it easier on himself next time.

Surely that is asking for being taken to tribunal on a technicality... you can't engage in a melee involving just 1 person by definition.

All makes sense now; the crowd was booing him for playing a game of 'stop hitting yourself' with himself.

Massive narcissist

it’s going to be interesting to see across his career if mckerchers desire changes from inflating his own disposal numbers to doing what’s best for the team.

One of my gripes with him last year prior to the afl was that on many occasions instead of releasing a team mate with a flat direct handball he’d feed them a loopy slow handball which left his team mate with little option but to give the one two. Saw a couple yesterday with completely unneccesary handballs to stationary opponents in front of him for the sole purpose of receiving the follow up possession.

I think he’ll be a good player as he has the work rate to get from contest to contest but I’ll take 30 possession mckercher games with a grain of salt until I see this changes.
There’s a reason why afl player ratings had his game yesterday as only an above average game. They said ginbey had a similar level game with a third of the touches.

Even with Eagles goggles on I’d rather a player like Ginbey that can defend as well as intercept and provide some drive over a an unaccountable attacking defender like that. Only time a side can carry an unaccountable back flanker is when you got a great defensive set up that can cover such play and/or if suck player has elite footskills and pace than can open the game right up.

Ginbey against the suns was unbelievable and despite having 20 touches it felt like his game was much more influential even his offensive stuff.

It would be huge for the side if we can get Hewett up an running soon and pick another plug in and set midfielder with our first pick. It then doesn’t force us to transition Ginbey be into the middle asap. I also don’t mind if Ginbey becomes a better version of Duggan in years to come in that he’s a defender with ability to go through the middle

Even with Eagles goggles on I’d rather a player like Ginbey that can defend as well as intercept and provide some drive over a an unaccountable attacking defender like that. Only time a side can carry an unaccountable back flanker is when you got a great defensive set up that can cover such play and/or if suck player has elite footskills and pace than can open the game right up.

Ginbey against the suns was unbelievable and despite having 20 touches it felt like his game was much more influential even his offensive stuff.

It would be huge for the side if we can get Hewett up an running soon and pick another plug in and set midfielder with our first pick. It then doesn’t force us to transition Ginbey be into the middle asap. I also don’t mind if Ginbey becomes a better version of Duggan in years to come in that he’s a defender with ability to go through the middle
With us reversing the attempt to shoehorn Ginbey into a midfielder position, will we do the same with Hewett and reinstate him as a fwd?

With us reversing the attempt to shoehorn Ginbey into a midfielder position, will we do the same with Hewett and reinstate him as a fwd?
Hewetts more a mid than Ginbey but I expect him to play a lot more fwd next season due to a lack of footy and a tank. That said once Hewett has some footy under his belt he needs to be put in the middle. Think a player like him in the guts is not only what that midfield unit needs but also lessens the burden on a guy like Reid.

Hewett was playing as a mid for Swans senior team in his draft year, he started in the middle for the majority of the centre bounces when he was on the ground in both games I saw him in

Hewett was playing as a mid for Swans senior team in his draft year, he started in the middle for the majority of the centre bounces when he was on the ground in both games I saw him in

Ok - thought I remembered Ginbey being listed as Def and Hewett a Fwd until we drafted them.

Then the club listed them as Def/Mid and Mid/Fwd respectively.

Ok - thought I remembered Ginbey being listed as Def and Hewett a Fwd until we drafted them.

Then the club listed them as Def/Mid and Mid/Fwd respectively.
Not sure on Ginbey but Hewett definitely played the majority of his time in midfield in the WAFL games I saw, was watching at the ground and pretty much kept my eye on him the whole game. Wasn't actually hugely impressed at the time with his overall game but he showed a few exciting bursts here and there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back