Autopsy Round 23, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Negative:

Pav and Schofield are about as bad a duo as it gets. One clearly hates West Coast and the other goes out of his way to act like he does
You can add Papalia to that duo as well.

They take a dump on WC every time they open their mouths. I find it impossible to listen to and mute the tv every time they speak.

Dwayne Russell sounds like the consummate professional in comparison.

Just watched Schofield's presser.

Reminded me of a Simpson presser.
"Young guys inexperience showed"
"Consistency"
etc etc

If Schofield cant watch that game and accept that the seniors are as much as, or even a bigger part of the problem, then I want him no where near the club next year.
Did call the players out on their performances though. Something simmo never did.

Just got home from the game.... This is what I saw - it may have looked different on camera.

Negatives:
Lack of discipline from a lot of players in not following the game plan - getting drawn to the ball
Ryan - From the first 5 minutes I could tell that he was either unwell, unfit, or just not on
Kelly - ineffectual. Disappointing
Cripps - Mr fumbles - bloody hell
Darling - ran around like a durable bunny couldn't mark anything
Allen - hardly seen
Umpiring - flipping heck they hate Harley don't they.
Gaff - probably should have started as sub and come on in the second half. I think our team were too conscious of getting the ball to him.

Positives:
One more week closer to the end of the season, moving on some players and somewhat refreshing our list
Harley was awesome in the second half.

Last edited:
This isn't just recency bias, but this is probably THE most deflating and aggravating loss in the last 3 years. Worse than Sydney by 170, Carlton last year, Hawthorn earlier this year. They were injury ravaged, we were at full strength, yet we still get smashed as if it was us with half a side. I really don't know how much more caring/hoping I can take. Not asking for much, just some fight and not being terrible in terms of system, decision making, footy smarts, basic skills. Not making a second rate team look like world beaters. We struggled to go a few possessions without a turnover most of the match. Just putrid. I'm honestly going to tune out next year unless there's signs we've turned a corner.

Yes maybe I'm a spoilt Eagles fan, a fair-weather supporter, but I don't think I could maintain interest in being nowhere for 10 years like some other supporters. If I saw effort and we got smashed I'd take it, but I saw a lot of lazy non efforts. Maybe it's late season fatigue, I don't know.

I draw no satisfaction that this loss ‘was bad for freo’

A pathetic effort, once again after we look like we’ve taken a step forward, we stumble and fumble back to rubbish.

We are still at norths level.

Attitude was terrible, lots of dumb football. Bad skills bad decisions bad efforts.

100% agree - I literally could not give a……about where Freo end up…….

We played like a side that is 3rd last in the ladder - our last 2 wins were against equal poor sides that we had some flashy moments against giving us a glimmer of hope that has been extinguished!

My PTSD from previous Carlton thrashings came in big time during the 1st 1/4…..no forwards - no worries - we were massacred.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just saw Harley got 26 possies and 5 tackles.

And 0.3

looks like an "almost" huge game on paper but was it as good as on paper?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tbh - thought his shots on goal were selfish, and indisciplined across the day.

Just absolutely crushed in the middle again. We're actually pretty solid at either end, for the most part. But geez do we just constantly get destroyed in the middle. Even with Kelly, Yeo and Reid in there. You'd think that starting lineup would be more competitive, but something is just really not clicking in there
I didn't watch most of the second half but Kelly and Yeo both had the composure of debutants. I don't get it. I feel our issue is mostly system: we're always out of position, running into tackles or passing it to a player under pressure. It's a lack of team synergy. Even North look slick compared. Don't know how much of that is coaching, gameplan, on field leadership, players not being switched on. Can't find space, stupid backward handballs into congestion...

I don't think it's skill/talent or indeed always effort. It's like we have the parts of the machine but they don't work together. I actually feel if this is rectified we could improve a fair bit.

I draw no satisfaction that this loss ‘was bad for freo’

A pathetic effort, once again after we look like we’ve taken a step forward, we stumble and fumble back to rubbish.

We are still at norths level.

Attitude was terrible, lots of dumb football. Bad skills bad decisions bad efforts.
I'd much rather Freo get in than the Blue scum who've got an armchair ride this whole season. On the plus side you'd think they'll get smashed by Hawthorn or the Bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one mentioning that patch in the 2nd quarter that felt like 15 minutes or so when we just kept going right to a contest at the boundary from the kick-ins. Fwoof that was scintillating stuff!

Positive: had family commitments and couldn’t watch any of it.

Negative: yet another uncompetitive performance. Let’s be honest, playing against a badly banged up side at home that should have been at least a close game, not a complete domination after quarter time. There have been more high points this year but also way too many matches where the Eagles don’t even look like they belong on the same ground as the opposition. Between that and the Beagles getting belted most weeks it’s hard to find many positives. Schofield will land on his feet somewhere but the answer going forward cannot possibly be someone who was part of the coaching staff in the worst three-year stretch in club history.

Hopefully whoever the next senior coach is, it’s someone who can get a better system in place and get the players the buy in to actually showing up every week.

Firstly. Lol
Positioning and intent were no where to be seen..
Owies can gagf with his celebrations, cringe

5 wins was the pass mark for me this year, and it seems the playing group think so too..
A capital T, Terrible performance but the cues in the rack.
Pls don't expect ANYTHING when we roll down to Geelong next week

Looking forward to the hewitts and the longs next year... hopefully next year ain't as long.... cheers brothers and sisters 1🙏🦅🍻🍻🌵😔

Have you noticed whenever we have equal players with our opponents at a contest - say a 2 v 2, and the opposition gets the ball, both our players will go to pressure the opponent with the ball leaving the other free to receive the handball, which then sucks another of our players to them, which leaves another opponent open further up the ground, then they just pop the ball over the Eagles players all the way towards goal?

And the worst part is the first player to go to the initial contest barely puts any pressure on - it's just some weak-ass corralling and they could've just stayed out on their man and left it to the player already there to tackle them.

F*ck it shits me.

Positive: had family commitments and couldn’t watch any of it.

Negative: yet another uncompetitive performance. Let’s be honest, playing against a badly banged up side at home that should have been at least a close game, not a complete domination after quarter time. There have been more high points this year but also way too many matches where the Eagles don’t even look like they belong on the same ground as the opposition. Between that and the Beagles getting belted most weeks it’s hard to find many positives. Schofield will land on his feet somewhere but the answer going forward cannot possibly be someone who was part of the coaching staff in the worst three-year stretch in club history.

Hopefully whoever the next senior coach is, it’s someone who can get a better system in place and get the players the buy in to actually showing up every week.
At this point; and I know all the princesses are about feeling's, hugs and HR,

Forget about the Gameplan; we need a disciplinarian.

Owies can gagf with his celebrations, cringe

I'd rate him as one of the worst players in the league. And we made him look like a million bucks today.

Made me wanna puke.

Just absolutely crushed in the middle again. We're actually pretty solid at either end, for the most part. But geez do we just constantly get destroyed in the middle. Even with Kelly, Yeo and Reid in there. You'd think that starting lineup would be more competitive, but something is just really not clicking in there
no ruck

poor coaching - this was really on show against the Blues, even with so many out, they continually set up really well at stoppages and scrimmages. our guys run around chasing the man but the the blues players are always set perfectly to receive a handball from Cripps and co when getting the hard ball. Even when so many new players come in, their coaching is solid so their new players seamlessly fit in

Have you noticed whenever we have equal players with our opponents at a contest - say a 2 v 2, and the opposition gets the ball, both our players will go to pressure the opponent with the ball leaving the other free to receive the handball, which then sucks another of our players to them, which leaves another opponent open further up the ground, then they just pop the ball over the Eagles players all the way towards goal?

And the worst part is the first player to go to the initial contest barely puts any pressure on - it's just some weak-ass corralling and they could've just stayed out on their man and left it to the player already there to tackle them.

F*ck it shits me.

We've been doing it since 2020.

I have no idea why that was coached into them but it's mind bogglingly stupid and something Auskickers are taught not to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back