Preview Round 23 - Essendon vs Sydney - Friday 16 August - 7:40 PM - Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing a few Hayes games I am not sure he is completely ready for key position AFL, esp in our backline atm.

I think he would get lots of goals against.

Should have had a few games already though when Ridley was in the side.

Weid should have replaced Lav weeks ago, but not our future either.

Okay. So I would have played Hayes. Not because it will make any difference to him long term but it would have been good to see him rewarded for some consistent form.
Based on VFL form Weideman has been very good. Probably the best of the two KPD and has played on the number 1 forwards. We are probably more chance of winning with him playing in defense right now. I think Weideman could have something to offer someone as a defender.
Saying this I still would have played Hayes.

My viewing of the VFL shows me that Hayes will need support in his role. I suspect if Ridley was playing then Laverde would be dropped and Hayes plays.

Interested to know how many people who've posted here against Weid's selection watch VFL. I mean, I don't usually, but I trust the opinions of those who do, and a lot of them have been talking about this possibility for weeks.

Likewise, a lot of them have talked about Hayes being stronger earlier in the season but struggling a little recently.

As for Hepp's non-selection, I wonder if it's even remotely possible that he refused a farewell game because he would rather Roberts plays, you know, for our future. Or if he didn't want to be seen as a charity case.

Sometimes I read stuff here and go, huh? Wtf? It causes me to do random shit like post questions about boy bands.

How about this for WTF? I would have picked Wright against Swans as they would struggle against his height. Draper at ff is a nonsense. Yeah he kicked three straight last week but then his kicking turned to shit again in the last qtr. Wright would have opportunities last quarter last week and odds are he would have sunk one. Understand he’s had a poor year but this is one game I would’ve picked him

can someone pease explain why…?? Why do we give a farewell game to Sam Weideman - a nobody payer who has done nothing at the club (or any other) and who hasn’t played since August last year over our ex-captain Dyson Heppell, who has bled for the club through 252 games, tried his best to guide the club through the BS saga, and is a genuine good guy of the AFL…

Go figure…real head scratcher that one I’ve been a fan of Scott but am now starting to have my doubts given this and other baffling selection (or non selections) throughout the year…

How about this for WTF? I would have picked Wright against Swans as they would struggle against his height. Draper at ff is a nonsense. Yeah he kicked three straight last week but then his kicking turned to shit again in the last qtr. Wright would have opportunities last quarter last week and odds are he would have sunk one. Understand he’s had a poor year but this is one game I would’ve picked him
Swans play a hard rebounding game from the backline and running in waves. Wright's not doing anything to even try to stop that. At least Draper will lay a tackle, even if it's high, at least that gives the defence time to set up and stops the rebound.
Bryan needs to play because we need to get games into him and he needs to see a future with us, lest he gets poached.

...and yes, Draper's forward craft is improved. He's currently a much better option than Wright.

can someone pease explain why…?? Why do we give a farewell game to Sam Weideman - a nobody payer who has done nothing at the club (or any other) and who hasn’t played since August last year over our ex-captain Dyson Heppell, who has bled for the club through 252 games, tried his best to guide the club through the BS saga, and is a genuine good guy of the AFL…

Go figure…real head scratcher that one I’ve been a fan of Scott but am now starting to have my doubts given this and other baffling selection (or non selections) throughout the year…
Who said it's a farewell game for Weid? Do you know something no one else does?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone think we won't beat Sydney this weekend?

Sydney was out of it at 3qtr time against struggling pies. Ignore that last quarter. They are barely going.

As for us... pressure is off. Classic conditions for a big win.
Our season is done, a win is a short term PR stunt.

Need to be focused on long term success, building standards and culture. Weideman over heppel is so dumb.

Did Heppell want a farewell game?

Interested to know how many people who've posted here against Weid's selection watch VFL. I mean, I don't usually, but I trust the opinions of those who do, and a lot of them have been talking about this possibility for weeks.

Likewise, a lot of them have talked about Hayes being stronger earlier in the season but struggling a little recently.

As for Hepp's non-selection, I wonder if it's even remotely possible that he refused a farewell game because he would rather Roberts plays, you know, for our future. Or if he didn't want to be seen as a charity case.

Sometimes I read stuff here and go, huh? Wtf? It causes me to do random shit like post questions about boy bands.
I've seen enough of Sam weideman 75 afl games to know his oea heart is not the future.

If Sam weideman is a better long term option than hayes, than hayes should have been delisted.

We need to think long term not weideman is currently a better vfl player than hayes.

Every club in the afl knows what weideman offers at afl level. No one knows what hayes does.

Have fun in mediocrity, maybe Luke Dunstan, a crouch, Dow or pruess are available this off season.

Better vfl players than the bomber youngsters atm right, same logic.

I've seen enough of Sam weideman 75 afl games to know his oea heart is not the future.

If Sam weideman is a better long term option than hayes, than hayes should have been delisted.

We need to think long term not weideman is currently a better vfl player than hayes.

Every club in the afl knows what weideman offers at afl level. No one knows what hayes does.

Have fun in mediocrity, maybe Luke Dunstan, a crouch, Dow or pruess are available this off season.

Better vfl players than the bomber youngsters atm right, same logic.
Hayes v. Laverde, no argument here. I'd have played Hayes.

He is our future and he knows it, hence his new contract.

I'd venture there's a list spot to make a decision about though; Weideman or Baldwin. That's also about our future.

Do you think we'll make the finals? Have you watched any VFL to see Weid play back?

This is a game where we learn a bit about our list. We obviously know we want Hayes and he feels secure enough to know he has a way in the future with us. I reckon it will be Reid's spot FWIW.

No problem with Hayes not playing if the club doesn’t think he’s ready. But Weid is a dead set spud. Him and Laverde down back is worth the watch for the comedy gold alone

No issues with the selection. Weid for Cox as a back is a win. Perkins for Davey as a forward is a win.

Interesting to see who they play as sub tho. Id put laverde or menzie.

I would have liked to see Laverde out for Hepp but im going with Hepp didnt want a farewell game. Has Hepp been playing VFL?

I find it interesting that the club speaks so highly of hepp but no Melb farewell game?
Maybe he didn’t want one. I’ve decided to believe that.

Hayes v. Laverde, no argument here. I'd have played Hayes.

He is our future and he knows it, hence his new contract.

I'd venture there's a list spot to make a decision about though; Weideman or Baldwin. That's also about our future.

Do you think we'll make the finals? Have you watched any VFL to see Weid play back?

This is a game where we learn a bit about our list. We obviously know we want Hayes and he feels secure enough to know he has a way in the future with us. I reckon it will be Reid's spot FWIW.
Makes sense when it was laid bare last week that Cox is completely lost in the backline.

We have Reid & Baldwin who can't get on the park, Ridley who breaks down too much and Lav, well I will leave it there. The cupboard is pretty bare down there when you take injuries into account.

People are too quick to stamp players papers. Look at Hogan for GWS. He looked cooked when he left the Dees, killing it now.

Key position players take time and we need some senior depth.

Last edited:
There are no farewell games or getting games into kids because we still have a chance of making finals. This is the biggest problem I have with Scott’s coaching. It was the same at North, where they needed to make finals and be competitive every week. We are still in a half hearted rebuild, trying to be competitive but still not making the real hard decisions we need.

There are no farewell games or getting games into kids because we still have a chance of making finals. This is the biggest problem I have with Scott’s coaching. It was the same at North, where they needed to make finals and be competitive every week. We are still in a half hearted rebuild, trying to be competitive but still not making the real hard decisions we need.
But who of the "Kids" hasn't he played? Maybe Hayes the only one ready?

We still have Hobbs, Bryan, Roberts & Caddy in the side. Davey clearly not ready.

Maybe some could have played earlier but Scott has always said he wants players capable to play multiple senior games when selected. Very similar thinking to his brother at Geelong. Some players wait years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back