Review Round 24, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Who were your five best players against St. Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Lester did some outstanding work with and without the ball. His disposal efficiency is usually right up near the top every game and he does something useful with almost every possession. It always seems like he understands the state of the game in the moment. He is such a critical part of our system now.
Absolutely. He is also rock solid with decision making and he doesn’t panic under pressure. His disposal efficiency is 85.5%, compared to a team efficiency of 71.6%. Lester is not prone brain farts and giving up goals, which means in Finals, he is the sort of defender we can rely on. He and Harris Andrews are the first two picked in defence.
#Lester200
#FrogMarch
#LesterArmy

Last edited:
Kiddy's defensive work has improved as the year's gone on .He's getting stronger and standing up in contests regularly.

He's still relatively inexperienced in defence and learning when to go and when to push back . People are asking a lot if they question what he delivered today.
He and McKenna and Starcevich and Payne are players who, on balance, are assets to the team, but they all need to work on their decision making. We can’t afford to have Coleman coughing up goals by kicking it directly to an opponent in Finals and the same goes for McKenna.

He started in the forward line against Collingwood. I don’t think he is being hidden there, I actually think he has a role at forward half stoppages. Laid two great tackles that resulted in frees for. Perhaps the solution is McCarthy in Lyon’s out and then back in as sub.
When he’s starting in the forward 50 at centre bounces, he’s being hidden there.

Sorry 3KZ is Football but he’s a genuine liability in almost every facet of the game now.

Bit of a nerve wracking frustrating night at the footy, soon as Joe missed that one straight in front from 15 meters I thought gee this will be a tough night, settle for the win, 2nd place and no injuries.

Fab5> Darcy Wilmot, Dayne Zorko, Harris Andrews, Jarrod Berry, Lachie Neale.

Loved Wilmot's game, he is so good in contested situations in the air and on the ground, just gets the job done.
Wilmot is a very special kid - his courage is second to none and even his hack kicks under pressure get great distance. To think he came in to play his first game in that red hot final against Richmond just 12 months ago - been a real revelation.

Ryan Lester did some outstanding work with and without the ball. His disposal efficiency is usually right up near the top every game and he does something useful with almost every possession. It always seems like he understands the state of the game in the moment. He is such a critical part of our system now.
Lester's vocal leadership is obvious to see - almost Hodge like the way he barks direction to others about where to go and is always checking that opposition players are covered...wonderful to see!

We won that's the main thing.........I got home in time to see the last 10mins or so. I think I'm glad that's all I got to see, my nerves would've been shot by then had I watched the whole game by the sounds of it.

Well done boys, you keep getting the job done and that's all that matters.
I was at the game and I found it a gut wrenching experience, especially with the horrible inaccuracy and the Saints getting two or three soft goals through soft 50's and other dodgy umpiring calls.

Even when we were 18 up with 2 to play, the Saints found a goal against the play which left the draw as a theoretical possibility with 2 goals needed in the last minute and a half.

I only srarted to breathe easy when we ran it down to the last 30 seconds and had possession.

Being a Lions supporter is a high stress job these days

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

its pretty incredible how fagan said he asked neale if he needed to be rested last week for the collingwood game due to him being a bit under the weather and he has put in back to back bog performances

this statline is phenomenal

30 disposals at 86% efficiency, 17 contested possessions, 10 clearances and 0 clangers

and he does it with an opposition player hanging off him pretty much every week!

his work late in the game working back to help the defenders shows how hungry the man is

sneaky brownlow chance imo

I reckon we badly missed having Linc on the park, reckon he would have made life more difficult for their defence, maybe snagged a hanger or two, and maybe a goal or two. Straight back in for the QF for mine (if fit).
Linc is such a reliable kick , we certainly missed him .

I hope the new Gabba is going to have a roof. Last week at Marvel we couldn't miss a goal but last night.....omgggg.

Kiddy is the best tackler in the team.
Makes some of his more physically built teammakes look like wimps.

I thought he was very good today. In our best handful of players.
He’s the best when he is coming in as a loose defender,not that great when he’s matched up,sometimes let’s his opponent have too much room and last night that happened when he was pretty close.
Don’t know maybe fitness.
His technique is perfect when he makes those tackles,momentum changing.
Thought he was pretty solid last night though except for a couple of moments.
When you take a mate to the game and just after me talking up kiddy’s great kicking game he says,he just let his man run off.
I had to say,“great observation “.
He nailed it and that’s kiddy at the moment .

Last edited:
what the hell has happened to Starcevich? He looks constantly scared....exausted. His decision making is awful and his execution is dodgy. Might be time for Darcy Gardiner to come back.

Also can someone please have a word in Joes ear about actually competing. If he's going to do some rucking he should possibly pay attention to competing with the other ruckman. If he's not going to compete lets just get Linc to jump into his opposition and try and half the contest. Joe can just go and stand in the goal square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In what way did dunkley seem off ???
Kept steele relatively quiet gave him no space at all. If you actually watch the game properly instead of just stat's you'd see the hard yards dunkley does week in week out.
He has gone from doing his job and getting clearances to just doing his job.

Hasn’t been bad but below his earlier season form.

Stats doesn’t have an apostrophe.

what the hell has happened to Starcevich? He looks constantly scared....exausted. His decision making is awful and his execution is dodgy. Might be time for Darcy Gardiner to come back.

Also can someone please have a word in Joes ear about actually competing. If he's going to do some rucking he should possibly pay attention to competing with the other ruckman. If he's not going to compete lets just get Linc to jump into his opposition and try and half the contest. Joe can just go and stand in the goal square.
Always appreciate your positive feedback to our top 2 side.

starce was mainly on higgins to my eye who struggled to impact the game. did his job

and joe does enough in the ruck to stop his direct opponent from getting a clean hitout to advantage but thats not really the main reason we put him there - the objective is to get him out of the f50 so he can use his skillset to impact the play up the field with his field kicking and great agility for a 200cm+ player. the whole point is to get him out of the goal square and make sure hes involved in the game :thumbsupv1:

Overall we haven't really belted ourselves to get where we are this year and have an almost clear injury list.

So if we don't do it this year obviously we're not far away but this looks like the THE opportunity with no really outstanding team amongst the others.

I believe we will lift for finals. Last year was a major disappointment but you can't fix it until you get to finals this year. We are here now and I expect we will step it up for Qualifying Final at home.

This team has shown they have a few gears in the back pocket which they bring out for high quality opposition. I can't wait to take on Port as that'll be a genuine challenge especially in the midfield. We have the right mix now with Lyons as sub. Dev is playing who can lock down say Horne-Francis, Dunkley can go with Wines, Neale will get attention from Houston. Rayner can cause chaos in bursts like he did against Pies and McCluggage will be a good for outside release and setup play. Oscar is following through after tap in recent games and he'll bring a mid or two down if they are trying to burst out of stoppage.

This will be a good contest for our team and I'm confident they'll be primed for a deeper finals run.

When he’s starting in the forward 50 at centre bounces, he’s being hidden there.

Sorry 3KZ is Football but he’s a genuine liability in almost every facet of the game now.
I hide kids in the Under 11’s because they have to be in the team, so
I have to work out where they can do the least damage to our chances.

Fagan can simply not pick them.

Going into the 1st final our list is in reasonable shape for this time of the year.
Please no training mishaps.

Fringe best 22 out for the season: Answerth & Madden.
Best 22 unavailable: Ashcroft.
Most likely available but a selection worry: Gunston
Hopefully available as we need as many bodies as possible for the finals games: Rich.

It is the first-year player Ashcroft we are finding hard to replace.
We have now had 5 games to get a new midfield combination to gel going into the finals.
I think we actually needed that 5 weeks to sort some things out.

It will be hard to go undefeated at The Gabba for 2023 but that is our best chance to make a GF.

Top two is an amazing result. Outside of accuracy and some Ill discipline, our game looked in healthy shape and ready for finals.

Lachie looks back to his best and you just know the week off will benefit us.

TOP TWO BABY!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we play like that in the finals we will get flogged.

Can’t agree with this. They played very well. Saints jumped out in the first 7mins team adjusted set up well behind the ball and just kept it in our forward half. Won the contest won the clearances. Didn’t convert. Game should have been done by 1/4 time and we should have been even further in front after the first 10mins of the second 1/4. They played well and are in good shape.

I was taking particular notice of our run last night as Saints are known as being a very fit hard running side and I have been a little concerned that we may not be fit enough but I was quite impressed with our gut running to cover the Saints switches and our ability to go with them.

Dev is such a hard runner, also his desperation to attack the ball in the last quarter really stood out, he lifted.

its pretty incredible how fagan said he asked neale if he needed to be rested last week for the collingwood game due to him being a bit under the weather and he has put in back to back bog performances

this statline is phenomenal

30 disposals at 86% efficiency, 17 contested possessions, 10 clearances and 0 clangers

and he does it with an opposition player hanging off him pretty much every week!

his work late in the game working back to help the defenders shows how hungry the man is

sneaky brownlow chance imo

I think he’s more than sneaky honestly. He’s been close to BOG in most of our wins this seasons, plus the added bonus of being a known quantity in the umpires eyes means he will attract more votes than he otherwise should.

**** Daicos, it’s between Neale and Bont for me

I was taking particular notice of our run last night as Saints are known as being a very fit hard running side and I have been a little concerned that we may not be fit enough but I was quite impressed with our gut running to cover the Saints switches and our ability to go with them.

Dev is such a hard runner, also his desperation to attack the ball in the last quarter really stood out, he lifted.

Both teams were pretty gassed in the last quarter from what I noticed at the ground. Managed to definitely stick with them and even outrun them at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Back