Autopsy Round 24, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

+ve - At the very least, the players fought back and won the second half when they could've just capitulated like Norf.
+ve - The second half was driven mostly from our younger players, which gives some hope for next year

-ve - Seniors were mostly putrid
-ve - Duggan and Allen. Love these blokes but we desperately need a captain who demands more and leads by example.
Duggan does some good things but he is a turnover king and needs to work on getting the ball in one grab. Free kick count 27 to 9....is that even possible?

+
Waterman continuing to show he ain't no fluke
Reid played well. Clearly bruised up after a long season
Hutch like everyone says stepped up
Rhett looking composed a couple of times. A decent return game for him
Johnston showing clean disposal again
Darling still competed where he could. He'll help out another club next year
Dewar was class when near the play
Hall, Edwards and Ginbey showed consistent effort for mine

-
Cripps again letting his man Holmes off the leash. Poor effort, but a straight kick. Up to Cripps and the new coach to decide what's most important next year
Ozzy, basically unsighted. When he is around the ball he attacked hard and flew for a couple, but again another nothing game from him. However, as the team improves, so will his performances
Kelly and Yeo were just bang average midfielders today
Chesser again probably used incorrectly, looked to be chasing tails out there. He does intercept play and spread well though. I am now pretty convinced that he is a HB option going forward.
Rhys Stanely had a day out. Williams x 2 in the ruck again no good. Not the option going forward
Petch not consistent enough today. He had equal good and bad moments
Hough going down sucks big time

As I’ve said; Hutch is now a lock in our first picked midfield.
Johnson will be a serious beneficiary of a second preseason
Hall went a lot harder today. Two shots on goal says he’s a chance.
HD will always crop up somewhere
Dewar showed a bit.
- please train the team to look infield. Pleeeeze!!!
-TK needs to come out of the midfield
- would Yo benefit by a move to H/B ??
-Cull some unskilled/poor decision makers!

Duggan does some good things but he is a turnover king and needs to work on getting the ball in one grab. Free kick count 27 to 9....is that even possible?

Geelong drop the ball = play on
Eagles drop the ball = HTB

Geelong holding Eagles players off at a stoppage = play on
Eagles players farting in the general direction of Cats players at a stoppage = free kick and 50m penalty

It was peak hometown umpiring. Our mate Dwayne would've rolled out the old "noise of affirmation" line a good 40 times (if he had the balls to mention it away from Optus).

Never was that more greatly emphasised in the last when danger gave a free kick away, then purposely dropped the ball. No 50.

Ball turned over and danger gets a mark inside 50 out the back. Ginbey comes back to compete and he drops the ball, immediate 50m penalty

Edit: bender beat me to it
This in a game for 4 umpires (why??) and the code gaining real income from gambling!!

Last edited:
Hutch our new best midfielder!

We had 7 first or 2nd year players out there with gov, barrass and Liam Ryan missing. Plus another 4 who have played less than 50 games. It was never going to be pretty coming up against a seasoned top 4 team.

Liked dewar hutch work.

Negative:

We must be the only ones that draft left footers who are poor kicks.

Terrible overall result. The first half stank big time, but the second half was quite good. Kept pace with the cats.
The free kick bias was horrid. 27-9Some of the other stats were okay for us:
Inside 50s 60-54 cat's way
clearances 44-40 cat's way
Tackles 51-49 cat's way
Contested possies 118 each

Not bad in all
But they killed us in gut running, possessions and marks. They just ran to back up and to create space. We did that better in the 2nd half to match it, but 1st half was non-existent.
Oscar Allen must be playing with something - has been horrid and largely ineffectual.
Loved Hutchy and Dewar.
Gotta play Hutchy as a mid next season.
I think Reid should spend more time forward with short bursts on ball. He is dangerous down there - should have had 3 goals. The fresh airy was funny, with him trying to con the ARC.
Now the fun part begins - the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

listening to backchat, masten was talking about teams that "have it" and those that don't, shortly after interesting he noted the "the very friendly" atmosphere at west coast. Of which I believe to be the biggest culprit in creating this shitty performance standard

They have one season to get rid of this insidious koombayah environment the credit coach created, do some soul searching, team culling, and coach sack

That was Simmo's creation- friends, family and flags nonsense.

Hall was an accumulator at under-age level. His foot skills were horrible. Our over-exaggerated confidence must of thought we could turn it around, without any evidence that we've been able to do that previously with overs on our list. So low and behold he hasn't improved with it. Didn't we trade up too?

We need to off load some of the shit disposers we have in the team.Maric and Hutch come via the midseason draft and both have good decision/disposal.
Why do we have so many shit ball users? Petch? Chesser? Duggan? Hunt? TK?
These guys just don’t look! Their not the only ones!

Positives:
Outscored Geelong in the 2nd half.
Dewar is a great find for us
Hutchinson showed a lot
Harley good
Waterman good 2nd half
This is what i was gonna say .
FIrst half was forgettable so i am forgetting it and just looking at the positive . Well done whatever you did at half time Schoey.

Positives -

-Good second half finishing 2024 season on a good note , even in a big loss .

• Dewar and Maric kicking skills
  • Harley playing forward
  • Hutchinson versatile player may just get another season contract beyond end of 2025
  • Schofield kept at his options and positional changes giving us a few green shoots for the future .

Negatives -

Long way to go ...

from the first game hitch showed he ran to dangerous spots and had the intent to attack the ball. He just looked gassed and a touch off the pace. It’s taken him half a season to arrive and I hope to god that our development officers actually give him a professional offseason program. Have had him pencilled in as permanent HFF which I think he’ll play very well but now throw in midfield rotation too.

During the week I postulated over trading Jake, given the return it would get us. I take it back, his work rate is just too important for us, trading that is committing to bottoming out a further 2-3 years.

Club needs to focus very carefully on what they want/where they want dewar, hutch, Maric, Chesser and Jwill next year and give them the off season program for that purpose and tell them if they have elite preparation they will play round one.

Cymbal hands Cripps and Darling need to be told it’ll be the gaff treatment next year. Development of our youth comes first and when they get the call they’ll be expected to play the role that supports that.

Club will become competitive once again once players like Cole, Duggan and Kelly can be superseded.

Petrucelle gotta go, just pay him out and be done with it.

Perhaps this is the offseason we teach our crumbles how to get front and centre to a contest rather than waiting goal side for the easy ball.

Hutch our new best midfielder!

We had 7 first or 2nd year players out there with gov, barrass and Liam Ryan missing. Plus another 4 who have played less than 50 games. It was never going to be pretty coming up against a seasoned top 4 team.

Liked dewar hutch work.

Negative:

We must be the only ones that draft left footers who are poor kicks.
Off half a VFL season - says a lot about the others

Kelly was bad. So so so sooooo bad.

10 clangers in total, from 6 direct turnovers and 4 frees against.

The bloke thinks he's got a laser for a leg, but it's consistently shit and lacks penetration. I'd almost take Rosa's old lollipop kicks at this point.

Not many positives, but it could have been a lot uglier.

When we get a midfield around him, Reid up forward is going to be an immense weapon. Could have had 4-5 in the last with better delivery.

Hutchinson was good. Liked his game. Big tick going into the preseason.

Waterman’s 3rd quarter in particular was good. Good response from him.

I find it hard to be overly negative- it’s the end of a long year, with nothing to play for, at a really average place to play footy. It would be a tough grind especially since I imagine a few have more than a few niggles they are dealing with. But our pressure on the ball carrier was non existent, we let a very average Geelong team look like the 2011 version.

All I can hope is that Houghy is OK. Didn’t look good.

Advantage of Reid forward, is he genuinely throws the oppo backline off balance with his skill set, ability to fly for hangers and unpredictable running patterns.

Draws attention now and as he only gets better he will seriously create some opportunities for our other fwds

A few youngsters are starting to show a bit - Dewar and Hutchinson this week in particular. Even Chesser showed some more positive glimpses.

However, the most obvious thing that stood out at the ground was the distinct lack of second efforts from Yeo, Kelly, Cripps, Allen (must be injured) and Petch. There were so many free Cats players around the contest and this was main reason. These are the players who should be setting the example. There is the problem with our culture.

Yeo being listed in our best players is plain embarrassing. He is the one effort master. Spent so much time walking back into defence as Cats players streamed past him.

Waterman should be made Captain. His running and effort is miles ahead of everyone else.

And yes, I was at the ground.

Kelly was bad. So so so sooooo bad.

10 clangers in total, from 6 direct turnovers and 4 frees against.

The bloke thinks he's got a laser for a leg, but it's consistently shit and lacks penetration. I'd almost take Rosa's old lollipop kicks at this point.
Great at obtaining the ball. Remarkably bad at using it. Positively awful at getting it off an opponent. It's a highly frustrating combo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back