Positives were Hutchinson, Dewar and Waterman

Negatives were:

Billiams... Potato
Jilliams... Smashed by bigger bodies
Kelly... Can't tackle can't kick
Yeo... Can't keep up... Move to backline
Duggan and ginbey.... Allergic to one touch football
Darling Cripps Chesser bazzo cole petrol Hall Duggan not AFL level footballers
We are totally spooked every time we go to this place.

There is a hex on us. We play like lambs being led to the slaughter.

Jeremy Cameron is at the peak of his power and killed us. We didn’t have one of our star defenders to stem the bleeding or combat him.

But it wasn’t only him it was all the marauding masses of smaller players, surely trying to prevent it is coaching.

Even Ollie Henry was making us look stupid. We need some dour, good sized hbfs like Geelong have.

I have watched most Eagles games and the first half is the worst I have ever seen. It just about brought tears to my eyes.

Look I know i'm biased here but Hall is an inside mid with generally very good hands, strength, pace and overhead marking. His weaknesses are his outside game and kicking. It's very hit / miss. It's fine if he's a pure inside mid but he's 2-3 years of development and strength away from being in there and picking up the pace.

I'm confident we have a Redden type who can play as both an extractor and defensive inside mid (think more of his time at brisbane rather than at WCE)

Hutch is going to be a star

Dewar is I would say is the 3rd or 4th most talented guy on the list. Project player but on pure talent his ceiling is very high.

I'd be tempted to start TK in the HFF next year.

mid for patches.

He looks disinterested

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s where he belongs. You can tell he doesn’t like being the number one inside mid or being asked to carry the load. He probably never wanted to leave cushy Geelong in the first place but was obligated to do so for family reasons.

Ironic Kelly was one of our most frustrating/worst players whilst the player we gave up those picks for in a roundabout way was at the other end putting on an absolute clinic.

Thankfully we won the Vardy trade, which is what counts, or I'd be upset.

Reading the pissed off comments in Geelong game day thread becaus they got “smashed” in the 2nd half.

Ahh I miss those days being a bit miffed that my team hadn’t won by more then 90points😂

To be fair they should be concerned.

Heading into a finals series and all it took to stop them even at home was the 16th placed side playing OK instead of awful.

Positives
2nd half.
Hutchinson, Reid and Dewar.
Thought Waterman was alright.
Good that we stayed out there for Tuohy and Hawkins.
Negatives
The first half.
Another game where our team defence broke down.
Uncompetitive midfield.
The future without Gov and TB looks bleak.

Future without Gov and TB on display in all its horror yeaterday.

People wondering why we've been linked to Clurey from Port. 5th rounder would all that would be needed.

Blight as a DFA would be a smart move too. Someone posted he only signed a 6 month deal.

People wondering why we've been linked to Clurey from Port. 5th rounder would all that would be needed.

Blight as a DFA would be a smart move too. Someone posted he only signed a 6 month deal.
We are dreaming if we think clurey fixes anything yesterday. We defended fine once we started breaking even in the middle.

We basically had no experienced leaders in the backline, may have been a more organisational thing than lack of ability.

As much as we give him crap even having Witho in to bark orders may have stemmed the bleeding a decent amount.

Our backline yesterday consisted of maybe 2 players with over 50 games, that being Hough who is just over 50 and 1 of Cole/Duggan at any time

Okay. My thoughts from the game - still haven't looked at the stats (as I'm losing my fantasy draft final), just going off vibes from the ground.

Gee Waterman works hard. Kicking was pretty off but it's hard to fault that given he must have been out of breath a lot. Absolutely can not trade him.

Hutch is quick and linked up very well by hand in tight. Generally made good decisions and didn't look out of place in the midfield. Very promising. Unlike, say, Chesser - he got into great positions to be involved in the play time after time.

I really question why Schofield didn't start Harry Edwards on Cameron. Ginbey was given a bath (with no help from a listless midfield), and Hough fared little better.

Found myself saying 'good work Bazzo' a lot in the second half. Was pleased with his performance given he's been in the wilderness for some time.

A really poor effort from Kelly given he's one of our top earners. Wouldn't question his workrate, but his disposal was consistently poor. Hall also has a whole lot of work to do on his disposal, but we knew that already.

Chesser did some good things and some bad things. Dewar was clean and dangerous, should have played a lot more this year. It befuddles me that Baker wasn't given a single game.

Jack Williams and HJ had some good moments also. Promising signs.

Petch's inside work is fantastic but his kicking and decision making let him down. Paired with better outside mids he could be an above average extractor in the middle. His poise and ability to evade players in tight is actually very good. Basketball background?

Funny old game by Reid. Didn't stand out much around the ground but added some good entertainment forward, even when missing that one on the goal line. Had the defenders worried.

Hope Hough is okay, wasn't sure what it was exactly live.

Cole is sound defensively but we really need better and more creative ball users off half back. Would kill for Lewis Jetta right now, would make us a 4 goal better side, as we actually look okay when we get the ball out the back.

Maric was good after coming on, but fair to say the sting was well and truly out of it by then. I don't know how much to read into that second half. It was great we fought it out but Geelong's minds were clearly on two weeks time.

There's probably more but this is what I remember, was a good day at the revamped stadium and a few good pubs after.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still have Jamieson and likely Barnett for those roles.

Fair.

I would prefer a younger option who may be a longer term solution or at least depth.

I just see we need to add some form of mature depth in that position. Blight at 24 I think could be a decent option to add to Jaimeson, Bazzo, Barnett and even Maric.

Okay. My thoughts from the game - still haven't looked at the stats (as I'm losing my fantasy draft final), just going off vibes from the ground.

Gee Waterman works hard. Kicking was pretty off but it's hard to fault that given he must have been out of breath a lot. Absolutely can not trade him.

Hutch is quick and linked up very well by hand in tight. Generally made good decisions and didn't look out of place in the midfield. Very promising. Unlike, say, Chesser - he got into great positions to be involved in the play time after time.

I really question why Schofield didn't start Harry Edwards on Cameron. Ginbey was given a bath (with no help from a listless midfield), and Hough fared little better.

Found myself saying 'good work Bazzo' a lot in the second half. Was pleased with his performance given he's been in the wilderness for some time.

A really poor effort from Kelly given he's one of our top earners. Wouldn't question his workrate, but his disposal was consistently poor. Hall also has a whole lot of work to do on his disposal, but we knew that already.

Chesser did some good things and some bad things. Dewar was clean and dangerous, should have played a lot more this year. It befuddles me that Baker wasn't given a single game.

Jack Williams and HJ had some good moments also. Promising signs.

Petch's inside work is fantastic but his kicking and decision making let him down. Paired with better outside mids he could be an above average extractor in the middle. His poise and ability to evade players in tight is actually very good. Basketball background?

Funny old game by Reid. Didn't stand out much around the ground but added some good entertainment forward, even when missing that one on the goal line. Had the defenders worried.

Hope Hough is okay, wasn't sure what it was exactly live.

Cole is sound defensively but we really need better and more creative ball users off half back. Would kill for Lewis Jetta right now, would make us a 4 goal better side, as we actually look okay when we get the ball out the back.

Maric was good after coming on, but fair to say the sting was well and truly out of it by then. I don't know how much to read into that second half. It was great we fought it out but Geelong's minds were clearly on two weeks time.

There's probably more but this is what I remember, was a good day at the revamped stadium and a few good pubs after.

H Edwards wouldnt keep up with Cameron. Just too slow off the mark.

Thats why we put quicker types on Jezza and hoped Edwards provided support intercepting or spoiling.

It didnt work.

H Edwards wouldnt keep up with Cameron. Just too slow off the mark.

Thats why we put quicker types on Jezza and hoped Edwards provided support intercepting or spoiling.

It didnt work.
Again, I might be wrong here as I'm going off what I saw, but I thought Harry did some good things on Cameron in the second half. Didn't lower his colours.

Regardless, he was the main tall defender and should be standing the main man. To not give him that job/opportunity from the start was bizarre to me.

We are dreaming if we think clurey fixes anything yesterday. We defended fine once we started breaking even in the middle.
Hooray!

Build the midfield to elite levels and you could have part timers down back and get through.

Have to have a good midfield to be competitive

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Schofield's made a couple of decisions lately that would worry me going forward. Ginbey on Cameron was just an absolute howler. Edwards was easily the more obvious pick and showed why later on the game where he even outmarked him. Very odd.

Also, Schofield's lack of love for Maric is concerning. His kicking and vision is head and shoulders above basically anyone in our team. I'm guessing the knock is some of his defensive running isnt great but geez at least he offers us something. Other more senior players are completely in effectual - ie, Cole.

The most disappointing thing is its the same old same old from the senior players:
  • Kelly: won, it burnt it and offered no defensive pressure.
  • Cripps: Fumbly and selfish.
  • Cole: runs around like he's trying hard but is ineffectual at actually defending or doing anything with it.
  • Darling: the poor bloke is just cooked. he has some ok moments but you can tell the game has passed him by.
  • Duggan: see Cole but slightly better version.
  • Petrucelle: has some good moments but cannot be relied on consistently. where has his dash gone btw? he wouldnt be on the list of a good side.
  • Hunt: the shine is wearing off for me. He's a very limited player but I guess we are in desperate times. Ideally you want a younger player to go past him very soon.

Again, I might be wrong here as I'm going off what I saw, but I thought Harry did some good things on Cameron in the second half. Didn't lower his colours.

Regardless, he was the main tall defender and should be standing the main man. To not give him that job/opportunity from the start was bizarre to me.
Harry just isnt a good matchup for Cameron unless the ball is coming in high, he cant keep up with him on a lead or around the ground like Cameron wants to do.

Being the main tall defender doesnt mean he has to matchup on the most dangerous tall forward, if someone else is more physically suitable then put them instead

Harry just isnt a good matchup for Cameron unless the ball is coming in high, he cant keep up with him on a lead or around the ground like Cameron wants to do.

Being the main tall defender doesnt mean he has to matchup on the most dangerous tall forward, if someone else is more physically suitable then put them instead
While you are correct, I disagree.

The best defence is a team defence. If the midfield had bothered to apply any pressure then Edwards was 100% the man for the job. I think the second half proved that.

Nobody was realistically defending their clean entries in the first half and I didn't like seeing Ginbey thrown to the wolves.

Fair.

I would prefer a younger option who may be a longer term solution or at least depth.

I just see we need to add some form of mature depth in that position. Blight at 24 I think could be a decent option to add to Jaimeson, Bazzo, Barnett and even Maric.
Arguably we should just be delisting jamieson and drafting another young key back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back