Autopsy Round 3, 2021: Hawks lose to Cats, Easter Monday

Remove this Banner Ad

The Cats were rubbish, and aren't going to worry many dishing that up. But they dominated us for 2/3 of the match. We managed to kick three goals for the match before the seniors menu started at Country Kitchen Buffet. It was impressive we got as close as we did.

I'll pay that! :roflv1:

Made me LOL. I think I startled my Mrs in the other room.

I am also stunned because we played large parts of that game as man on man no zone. The first time in a long time since clarkson took over that we have done that. It meant every player was responsible for his own opponent. Which meant Jom and shiels werent chasing tail like they were last week. Interesting development. I might have mull over it a bit longer

I sat in the nosebleeds behind the punt road end goals. Seemed to me that Jiath was playing loose man in defence at different points in time during the second and fourth quarters. I thought it was quite interesting that Scott was happy to let this happen.

Thought Wingard brought real spark and was a welcome return back 4 clearences 476 metres gained 6 marks 9 score involvements and a ****ing bullshit goal called touched. Jiath is a gun good to see Impey blossoming too. You won the hardball in the last just the calls skills errors and bounce of the ball went the wrong way but brighter days to come

All the best in 2021

This is one aspect of commentary that I find so short minded and strange.. if you take into consideration the momentum of the game or the field position of the free kicks it will tell a different story

We are like the boy who cried wolf on here after every cats game.

Its tired and boring.

We lacked composure and a game plan to kick a score when the heat was on.

We came home hard when the cats had some injurys in the last qtr.

MOTM for me was Hartigan.

Did what we've been asking for years - aka, punching Dorkins in the back of the head. 10/10 from me.

Yes...except maybe the resulting 50 meter penalty cost us the game.

I’m all in for belting opposition scones, but not at the expense of four points.

In an ideal world, we could have both.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought we were pretty bloody ordinary TBH.

For sure we ran the game out well, but a decent team would've had us 10 goals down at 3/4 time.

The Cats were rubbish, and aren't going to worry many dishing that up. But they dominated us for 2/3 of the match. We managed to kick three goals for the match before the seniors menu started at Country Kitchen Buffet. It was impressive we got as close as we did.

We fumbled so many times. So many unforced errors. How many times did we fall over in the contest? Or go to gather a ground ball and overrun it and have it roll through our legs? Or drop an uncontested mark?

I'm not sure what the question is, but I'm certain two rucks is not the answer. Too lumbery and you can't handpass to them when they're stationary. Not worth the trade off for the two contested marks you might get.

Plenty seem upbeat. Outside of CJ, I saw very little to be optimistic about.
If I add DGB, Gunston, Sicily, Day, Downie and one of those gun midfielders in this national draft (2 A graders and 4 potential ones) to today’s side I haven’t been this optimistic since the start of the 2016 season. Are you definitely a Hawk supporter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez the Howe social media pile on is strong on this thread tonight.

I think that Burgers made the kick to chf worse than what it actually was. Didn't move to the ball to mark in front of his eyes and in fact lowered his body whilst stationary to take a low chest mark. At a minimum silk could of and should of forced Henry to spoil by making body contact thus taking him out of the next play. No matter how loopy the kick, what happened to the when it's your time to go mantra.

Yes, he could have and should have. Not like Silk to shirk, it was out of character.

Yes the high ball hasnt worked but if you were at the ground. You would have seen that the kicker had no options there were no leads forth coming. Its easy to follow the ball on the tv and complain but you could see that Geelong experienced defenders had our forwards covered they were inevitably caught behind or had no space to lead. Lewis had a real poor first half non competitive and kosi played like a guy who was star struck by the game and crowd. Cant blame kosi but lewis should have done better. He was much better in the second half at least providing a contest

No issue with the 2 boys but SLB does have a point and it comes down to our choices of how we decide to play the game, starting with the coaching box.

There is simply no excuse to rock up to a Cats game and then go "oh the Geelong defenders had us covered.....no leads...no space".

We have had 10 years of practice with better forwards for us playing against better backmen for them and every single time those same excuses could be trotted out and we turn up next year and do the same thing.

Geelong have a great defensive unit in the air. They always have. If we turn up expecting to bomb long and actually succeed we deserve what we get.

After all these years we should have some fairly decent alternative tactics.

Last edited:
Some promising signs.

JOM was amazing , that last quarter it felt like he won every clearance and he was clean throughout. He's had quarters/games like this before though - would love him to back it up consistently like TOM does.

Morrison has been great so far this year, very clean and running to the right spots. Looks like he belongs.

Backline was great. Impey, CJ and Scrimshaw all generated a huge amount of our positive play. I think Hartigan has been great this year. Generally fantastic one on one v Lynch and Hawkins - an upgrade on last year's version on Frawley.

Great to have Chad back, love what he brings to the team.

Forward line struggled, but given the lack of experience was pleased to see some glimpses of hope.

Like others, worried about our midfield. Worpel is seriously struggling - and I worry about our speed around the ball and forward of centre - as bad as Howe's errors were, my major concern is his poor ball use under pressure and his foot speed. Worpel is the same, constantly goes to ground because its the only way he can halve a contest and prevent being burned off by quicker players. TOM is also treacle slow, but at least makes up for it by being a ball magnet/endurance beast. Shiels not lightning either.

We really need to change up this mix to bring in some speed/explosiveness (and ideally some good ball use) - hoping Finn/Downie can bring some of this to a future mix, and ideally Day if he can play mid.

Yes, he could have and should have. Not like Silk to shirk, it was out of character.

Burgoyne is showing his age. I thought North Melbourne were pathetic, carrying Harvey to breaking Tuck's record. I hope that the club can make the tough but fair call on Burgoyne, because I'm not convinced that he's best 22 at the moment.

As frustrating Howe’s decision making is, don’t think his effort was that bad. I like him as a defender. He’s much better suited to playing in defence than as a midfielder.
Howie will never get the Brownlow votes but you can't question his efforts.
He plays a role in the team structure and as long as Clarko is getting that from him he'll have a place in the side.

Burgoyne is showing his age. I thought North Melbourne were pathetic, carrying Harvey to breaking Tuck's record. I hope that the club can make the tough but fair call on Burgoyne, because I'm not convinced that he's best 22 at the moment.
Bit of an elephant in the room. It’s more comfortable pointing at Howe and Ceglar as guys who are struggling and will not improve us. It’s hard when it’s Burgoyne. But I think he’s been poor so far this year.

We are like the boy who cried wolf on here after every cats game.

Its tired and boring.

We lacked composure and a game plan to kick a score when the heat was on.

We came home hard when the cats had some injurys in the last qtr.
Lol. If you can’t see a game plan, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s there, we just aren’t good enough to pull it off yet. In a development year, this is about as good as you can ask for in terms of executing, particular against reigning grand finalists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2021: Hawks lose to Cats, Easter Monday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back