Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

6 goals behind at quarter time is satisfactory?
Wow! It doesn't matter when the goals were kicked AGAIN. It matters what the final margin is. And whether that margin was small enough to be affected by decisions out of your control.

Wow! It doesn't matter when the goals were kicked AGAIN. It matters what the final margin is. And whether that margin was small enough to be affected by decisions out of your control.
Of course it matters. Hawthorn were beaten by the clock.

Of course it matters. Hawthorn were beaten by the clock.
I acknowledge your incapacity to understand the argument, and move on with my life.

Simply not true. At the end of the day the total margin DESPITE WHEN THE SCORES WERE ACHEIVED was, or could have been, less than the effect of umpire error. It'd be a tad silly to say after a loss "the main problem was the 27 minutes throughout the game where the opposition kicked all their goals. You're either playing against 25 or you are not. Personally I thought there were three occasions where Hawthorn was ripped off, and only one where Carlton was. That one resulted in a typical free kick on the wing that amounted to nothing. The three times Hawthorn was rogered resulted in 1.1 and a missed opportunity at our end. Potentially 13 point turnaround directly influenced by, at best, umpire error.

This by no means supersedes the horror that was the 4th quarter round 2, 2019 which cost us a finals spot. But then you'd probably blame some other loss for that.
I felt like there were more watching the game live through my Brown & Gold goggles, but there were certainly at least the three!

I felt that the Holding the Ball decisions were umpired differently for the two sides on the day, and certainly different to other games that I have watched so far this year.

On top of that the two absolute stinkers were the blocking in the ruck when "Big Hands" slipped over into Reeves, and the hold paid to Silvagni against Sic. It was a frustrating game to watch in terms of the way it was officiated. Not the first time I felt that way watching a game umpired by Leigh Fisher.

Imagine if we could win the centre bounce clearance stats for the day…. It feels (without looking at stats) we have been dreadful in this space over the past few years.

We have a giant in the ruck that we don’t seem to get any sort of advantage from. Would be nice to see Worps, Jaeger Mitch and co work out a way to get first hands on it for a few games.

Imagine if we could win the centre bounce clearance stats for the day…. It feels (without looking at stats) we have been dreadful in this space over the past few years.

We have a giant in the ruck that we don’t seem to get any sort of advantage from. Would be nice to see Worps, Jaeger Mitch and co work out a way to get first hands on it for a few games.
Carlton are a work in progress with attack from the back half while we are a work in progress in the centre, I know which one I would rather be.

Reeves needs two more pre seasons tho, his so dam tall he will take a while yet, but he find goods spots and is good at ground level for his size - next year I reckon we will see a massive shift in how we go at clearances once the new crew is a bit fitter/stronger.

Would like to see Finn tried as a pressure forward rather than send him to Box Hill. He's got the speed and fitness to make defenders nervous on the way out of defensive 50
Who does he replace? Generally it is Lewis, Gunston, Wingard and Breust there with Moore and MacDonald as high half forwards. If a ruck comes back they will most likely be resting forward as well

I remember late in the game after we had scored a goal to go a point up (from memory) and the ball went back to the middle.

I thought for God's sake just win one centre square clearance for the day, make it this one and let's get it down to our forward line and lock it in there till the siren.

Of course the Blues then proceed to waltz it out of the middle 🤣😢🥴

If only footy was played with a stopwatch.
Did you watch the game? He was beaten for speed, looked sluggish on occasions.
Perhaps there's merit in what others are saying - that he's not reacting or thinking quickly enough.
He was beaten on occasions for his trying to much, one where he was shrugging off tackles, got called ball and then handballed it.

I mean thats the new rule which means he can't really do that too much anymore. But he's super strong, super quick, and a super athlete and endurance beast. Not much he does wrong outside of his kicking which as a hard worker, he'll be working most days on.

I remember late in the game after we had scored a goal to go a point up (from memory) and the ball went back to the middle.

I thought for God's sake just win one centre square clearance for the day, make it this one and let's get it down to our forward line and lock it in there till the siren.

Of course the Blues then proceed to waltz it out of the middle 🤣😢🥴

We must have been channeling the same thoughts. I was thinking…. “This is our one to win and pump it forward” and sure enough Hewitt paddles it out to Walsh and away they go .

That final crucial centre bounce with 3 mins to go we had Nash O’meara Newc and Ward against Dekoning Cripps Walsh and Hewit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CJ is one of those rare players whose popularity transcends to supporters of all clubs. You hear nothing but praise. Never a bad word said. There is genuine love for the guy. My Hawthorn hating Uncle loathes us and yet talks glowingly of CJ.

I reckon he's already the favourite opposition player of many opposition fans. Weirdly enough CJ is almost single handedly making Hawthorn likeable.

Simply not true. I can think of at least one poster that doesn't like CJ getting all the attention.

Frosty is all those things too but he just doesn't get the love.....;)

Who does he replace? Generally it is Lewis, Gunston, Wingard and Breust there with Moore and MacDonald as high half forwards. If a ruck comes back they will most likely be resting forward as well
He's already in the 22 so it's more about rotations rather than replacing anyone. Regardless, sending Wingard back to Box Hill wouldn't be the worst idea. He's doing SFA, so would be a good wake up call, plus an opportunity to bring in more youth

Nothing infuriates me more.
We've been pathetic in there for years.

Nothing infuriates me more.
We've been pathetic in there for years.

Correct. Carlton having a 192cm tractor moving through which helps but I see other teams blocking, clearing space and sacrificing for each other

We seem to be either hanging on to a players guernsey and giving away a free kick or all 4 tripping over each other going for the same ball.

Our spacing always seems off to me.

Nash has to go back to being a mid.

We desperately need something different at the centre bounce.

Loss could be a blessing in disguise.
Could you imagine the hype on us had we won.
Let Carlton have all the hype.
Need a complete mf makeover.
Thought it was a huge positive the comeback was on the back of the young guys
#KeeptheFaith

You could pick a 'mistake' from every game from every champion of this Club the last 100 years. There are no perfect footballers who win every contest every time making the perfect decision or with perfect effort. It's never happened, and never will.

Fancy writing what you just did about CJ. Embarrassing.
He made an error. Likely thought noone was near and he had time when he obviously didn't. Get over it, kid plays his absolute heart out for this Club.

Get off your high horse, he made one mistake - its no issue to point one mistake out, its not an opinion, its factual. Amazed at how you think "Its embarrassing" to point out facts... like calling him an emerging superstar.

Get off your high horse, he made one mistake - its no issue to point one mistake out, its not an opinion, its factual. Amazed at how you think "Its embarrassing" to point out facts... like calling him an emerging superstar.

"one shit, half-assed and unaware effort gifted them a goal"

Yes, you're embarrassing yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2022: Hawks go down to the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back