Review Round 4, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Papering over cracks. Deadset, Gardiner, unless he replaces Payne or Hipwood, Fagan needs to bite the bullet and keep him out of the team. We need another runner through the midfield. Rayner isn't a midfielder's arseh*le, he is the 3rd tall forward, taking Gardiner's spot. Starcevich is all at sea at the moment, is he going bald and struggling with this? Something is not right with him. Our shape around the contest is questionable at best, we exposed a weak Roos, not sure Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Co will be as accommodating.

I thought I was exaggerating but a quick venture over to the North boards and it seems that a few of them agree with me.

Having a laugh with your direct opponent not even 10 seconds after a 70 point loss is never a great look.

I mean I don’t know what else is appropriate. If the man that pantsed you during the game comes up to you afterwards, what exactly should you do?

I’d have a bit of a laugh if it were me, just got my shit rocked and no amount of sulking or attitude towards the person who rocked my shit is gonna make that change.

It’s just bad practice to beat yourself up unnecessarily, it destroys your confidence and makes it harder to motivate yourself. There is a reason Fagan’s growth and positive mindset worked so well in the early years in pulling this club out of the depths of despair.

Fagan’s pets spud it up again. This is what we get for not dropping 10 players. Season over.
As I said earlier, I will be at the Melbourne game at the MCG. Sitting in the Members, surrounded by ‘born to rule’ Melbourne supporters. Just like last year.

It was great to towel up a winless and hopeless North Melbourne, but I would be very careful not to get sucked in by “The Gunston Effect”. Melbourne are an in form and star studded team. Lever, May and McDonald are going to be a little harder for our forwards to score against and Gawn, Petracca, Oliver and Viney will murder us out of the middle if Neale, Dunkley and McCluggage don’t get some support from McInerney, Rayner and Bailey. Starcevich, Payne, Rayner, Cameron, Gardiner, McInerney and Hipwood are going to need to lift big time. Special mention for Rayner…it would be great for him to step up and actually deliver in a clutch game. His 14 disposals today were lacklustre and his inability to hit the scoreboard against weak opposition like North Melbourne doesn’t bode well.

Yay we won 🙌
Let’s see how we look after the next month of football.

At the risk of opening up 3 pages of back and forth with certain posters, I thought Lester was very good as well as the others already mentioned.
He was sensational today.

Not convinced that Rayner and Bailey are mids not forwards.
Thought Bailey did well,got on his bike and helped out with our transition
Lowered his eyes as well ,didn’t notice him missing tackles but north hardly a high bar to cage.
Rayner is a worry,looks lost and if Lohman starts impacting games like tonight
I’d prefer him in the forward line.
Rayner just looks too slow at centre bounces as he is on the outside
Maybe if he had licence to attack the bounce,I don’t know?
Still think he was at his best when he played 3rd tall last year when he took Gunstons position.
Lohman definitely had more impact full stop so prefer him to stay forward/wing.
The team looked like we worked harder at keeping the ball moving with shorter kicks and wraparound handballs
Much better
Great platform for next week.
Edit: Rayner to take dizzys position
as Acguy said .

Last edited:
Papering over cracks. Deadset, Gardiner, unless he replaces Payne or Hipwood, Fagan needs to bite the bullet and keep him out of the team. We need another runner through the midfield. Rayner isn't a midfielder's a-hole, he is the 3rd tall forward, taking Gardiner's spot. Starcevich is all at sea at the moment, is he going bald and struggling with this? Something is not right with him. Our shape around the contest is questionable at best, we exposed a weak Roos, not sure Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Co will be as accommodating.
For the time we keep persisting with Rayner and Bailey in the midfield I think we are going to continue to see big momentum swings against us.

It's time to bite the bullet and bed someone into that role... and if Bailey and Rayner are going to be defensive forwards they need to apply some effort to the role.

I really see something in Tunstill . It might take another year but he's improved a lot since he got here and is going to get better.
I like his number.

Lohmann (11 games) > Rayner (117 games)
He has significantly more upside. I think we are going to learn to love Lohmann.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The positive to Kai’s game tonight is he simply played a solid team game and was rewarded with a couple of goals himself.

He didn’t try and do anything too fancy, which at times he has been prone to do. He simply bought his teammates into the game when he needed to, applied pressure and got his goals. I reckon that was clearly his best game at senior level. Hopefully he’s given an extended run to build on that.

The positive to Kai’s game tonight is he simply played a solid team game and was rewarded with a couple of goals himself.

He didn’t try and do anything too fancy, which on occasions he has been prone to do. He simply bought his teammates into the game when he needed to, applied pressure and got his goals. I reckon that was clearly his best game at senior level. Hopefully he’s given an extended run to build on that.
Lohmann is going to become a fast favourite. He leads, he marks and most importantly, he gets FRONT AND SQUARE.

Well I'm feeling good tonight Arsenal and Brisbane won this week and my mum brought over a big pot of spaghetti.

Fages has a lot to answer for.

A 20 goal win ruined by the usual Fagan pets spudding it up big time. Won't somebody think of the %age?

OUT: Rayner, Bailey, Oscar, Hipwood, Starcevic

IN: 5 other guys playing well in the VFL.

Make it so Fages or the season is a write off

I recon we are way off it tbh. North were horrible. If we play like today against Geelong and Melbourne we will get towelled up.
Our basic skills (marking, handballing and kicking) are not up to standard. We are also playing 4/5 players who are not good enough to be in a genuine top 4 team.
We are going to the Geelong game and flying down for the Melbourne game but have very low expectations.

As I said earlier, I will be at the Melbourne game at the MCG. Sitting in the Members, surrounded by ‘born to rule’ Melbourne supporters. Just like last year.

It was great to towel up a winless and hopeless North Melbourne, but I would be very careful not to get sucked in by “The Gunston Effect”. Melbourne are an in form and star studded team. Lever, May and McDonald are going to be a little harder for our forwards to score against and Gawn, Petracca, Oliver and Viney will murder us out of the middle if Neale, Dunkley and McCluggage don’t get some support from McInerney, Rayner and Bailey. Starcevich, Payne, Rayner, Cameron, Gardiner, McInerney and Hipwood are going to need to lift big time. Special mention for Rayner…it would be great for him to step up and actually deliver in a clutch game. His 14 disposals today were lacklustre and his inability to hit the scoreboard against weak opposition like North Melbourne doesn’t bode well.

Yay we won 🙌
Let’s see how we look after the next month of football.
What these pathetic Fagan’s pets need to do is sit down and open their ****ing eyes to some real football. This would be MANDATORY WATCHING for the boys so they stop being SOFT

Fages has a lot to answer for.

A 20 goal win ruined by the usual Fagan pets spudding it up big time. Won't somebody think of the %age?

OUT: Rayner, Bailey, Oscar, Hipwood, Starcevic

IN: 5 other guys playing well in the VFL.

Make it so Fages or the season is a write off
Are you flying down for the Melbourne game? I imagine after our win today all available flights from QLD will be fully booked. Happy days are here again! We are back baby!

What these pathetic Fagan’s pets need to do is sit down and open their ******* eyes to some real football. This would be MANDATORY WATCHING for the boys so they stop being SOFT

I think I’m loving you a little more than usual BRAB.

Here is Part 2.

Last edited:
I recon we are way off it tbh. North were horrible. If we play like today against Geelong and Melbourne we will get towelled up.
Our basic skills (marking, handballing and kicking) are not up to standard. We are also playing 4/5 players who are not good enough to be in a genuine top 4 team.
We are going to the Geelong game and flying down for the Melbourne game but have very low expectations.

Yair, we're toast

Prob be 1-8 after 9 Rounds.

May as well start tanking now and play for draft picks

Am I doing this right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 4, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Back