Round 5: Changes Vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Brennan Cox is so young for a key position player, I fully expect him to overtake an established tall in our side before he is 22.

The challenge for him is to show up to preseason day one in peak condition and pressure the older players for their spot, driving all of them to higher standards. That's good for the team and something we haven't had for a while.

Brennan Cox is so young for a key position player, I fully expect him to overtake an established tall in our side before he is 22.

The challenge for him is to show up to preseason day one in peak condition and pressure the older players for their spot, driving all of them to higher standards. That's good for the team and something we haven't had for a while.

He already has imo.

Cox is only out of the side because of that pre-season injury. I reckon he comes back into this side this weekend and stays.

I read somewhere his name is bouncing around the Adelaide clubs.

He might have been in the side at the beginning of the year, but now he’s behind Tabs,Hogan,McCarthy, Lobb. He’s behind our tall backs as well. Pearce, Hammling, Logue.

Needs more time at Peel.

Only considered if Hammling is out.

I didn’t see the game, was this how WC owned them?
I didn't see all the game, but what I did see: yes WCE were able to cause more turnovers and get the ball back. That suggest they probably clogged up GWS ahead of the ball with their zone so that when GWS go to move the ball, they saw a lot of blue jumpers in the way.

Also, WCE were just better organised in the forwards and kicked better to their forwards. As you see so often in WCE games the ball can bumble around down the "other" end for a while and then when WCE go forward, bang they score.

I think being able to have a good defensive zone and then get forwards in front of the ball for leads points to the tremendous work-rate of the WCE forwards. Guys like Kennedy and Darling do run bloody hard to get "back" into position in the forward 50.

Still not going to talk about them any more!

I read somewhere his name is bouncing around the Adelaide clubs.

He might have been in the side at the beginning of the year, but now he’s behind Tabs,Hogan,McCarthy, Lobb. He’s behind our tall backs as well. Pearce, Hammling, Logue.

Needs more time at Peel.

Only considered if Hammling is out.
I totally get why the SA clubs would be thinking about him. If he was a WA kid playing somewhere else, we would be thinking about how to get him back too.

I reckon Hamling won't be named because of concussion and Cox will come in and start as 2nd tall in the backline. Assuming he doesn't have a complete mare this week when Hamling comes back the next week, Cox will stay and someone like Hughes or Duman will then drop out.

Logue will come back via Peel and when he has proved himself replace the "other" one of the Hughes/Duman pair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprised about Shultz, bit surprised about Darcey.
Good to hear about Hamling.

But were is the training report.
Not watching closely enough to post a training report. Generally though, players seemed in great spirits. Dardy the notable absentee. Cox could be an in if Cam is crook. Hogan was having some shots on goal when they broke into backs, mids and forwards for a while so that will hopefully settle some down.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Duffield seems to think Fyfe and Cox will come in for Shultz and Hamling based on his view of todays training. i.e. Shultz, Darcy away from the main group (as mentioned above) and Ballantyne switching between groups.

Hogan to CHB is logical move if Joel is out.

In Darcy and Fyfe
Out Hamling and Schulz

Ryan-Pearce-Hughes
Wilson-Hogan-Duman
Langdon-Fyfe-Bhill
Mundy-Taberner-McCarthy
Walters-Lobb-Switkowski

Darcy-Conca-Brayshaw

Tucker-Cerra-Colyer-Brayshaw

Finlayson was one that none of us over here expected to be honest.

But in my opinion what has worked best for opposition teams, is not putting the best defender on Cameron. He doesn't tend to get beaten very often. If he does get beaten one on one (which does happen) then he just leads. He is super quick and the giants players know his leads really well. Or that dreaded over the top run on mark is impossible to stop.

However what you don't want is HH, Cameron and Finlayson all kicking multiples. So West coast didn't have McGovern on Cameron all game. They let him kick some, but stopped the other getting bags, and that worked.

Wonder if Ross will copy what works

Probably not....

Hogan on Cameron it is
A Pearce goes to Cameron, that obvious. Himmelberg is just as influential though. Hughes will probably go to him. Match him for speed as well as up the wing. He’s a great mark of the ball, Himmaelberg.
It’s interesting, because their forwards isn’t set. Have a lot of types such as Finlayson coming in, Lloyd too.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Finlayson was one that none of us over here expected to be honest.

But in my opinion what has worked best for opposition teams, is not putting the best defender on Cameron. He doesn't tend to get beaten very often. If he does get beaten one on one (which does happen) then he just leads. He is super quick and the giants players know his leads really well. Or that dreaded over the top run on mark is impossible to stop.

However what you don't want is HH, Cameron and Finlayson all kicking multiples. So West coast didn't have McGovern on Cameron all game. They let him kick some, but stopped the other getting bags, and that worked.

Wonder if Ross will copy what works

Probably not....

Hogan on Cameron it is

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pearce should be the perfect match-up for Cameron with his speed and height

Cant see it being any other way

And who with any football nous would regret the move of a none performing Tarrant in the forward line to become a weapon in the backline?

Add to that the utter lack of relevance given they are the best part of a decade ago.

Easy, friend. I was just pointing out an error in someone else's post.

The move with Tarrant was indeed the right decision considering he spent two years in the forward line and provided nothing. Croad on the other hand was thrown straight into the forward line with Simmonds who plied his trade more effectively when at Melbourne as a ruck.

Hogan has played 4 games with us and none consistently in the forward line. Whereas I'm okay with him filling a gap down back with the loss of Hamling I don't think his prior performances necessitate a permanent move just yet.

Anyway, as I've always said, my concerns are with our assistant coaches and what they are providing. If we have problems with forwards under performing (which we have done for a while) then questions should be asked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5: Changes Vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back