Round 5: Changes Vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

As a mature ager, Shultz doesn’t get the luxury of “give him a few years to develop”. Like Barlow, Mzungu, and even Collins and Silvagni, they should be able to contribute or “play a role” straight off the bat. They should have composure under pressure that kids sometimes lack. That being said, I’m not writing him off just yet. I put Bewley in the same boat.

While I dont think Shultz will make it as best 22 either, I think he'll be fine for depth.

His pressure is decent, with another year or two and more confidence is kicking on goal and marking should be ok as well.

Switta has him covered easily I think we can all agree, but there's nothing wrong with a mature age pick at 50 odd being a depth player. I would say that makes the pick a success in that case.

Bewly is the one that looks like failing

So this was a breakout for Tabs except for poor kicking from his teammates?
Makes sense. After all they needed to give him easier shots than 15m out directly in front.
He obviously needs more service like the goal square handball from McCarthy.
Um ok. I said it could have been a breakout game if he'd been used when open. At the game he was open a ridiculous amount. He covered the ground brilliantly. At times 20 metres in front of his opponent only for a terrible kick to sail over his head. For a breakout game he would have had to also have converted opportunities obvioulsy.

Um ok. I said it could have been a breakout game if he'd been used when open. At the game he was open a ridiculous amount. He covered the ground brilliantly. At times 20 metres in front of his opponent only for a terrible kick to sail over his head. For a breakout game he would have had to also have converted opportunities obvioulsy.
Fair enough.It should have been a breakout game for Tabs because he had enough opportunities to kick a bag, but his poor kicking let both himself and his team down.

For everyone calling for Wilson to be dropped, stop now. He is not getting dropped. He is out of form, however we know he is capable and a quality player and person. With our current list it is a non-negotiable that he plays, as we keep playing Brayshaw, and Cerra and others - and we just have to ride the storm and hope they find form.

Brayshaw had an awesome game which was great to see, and Cerra is all class so he will come good. Wilson does enough, but he is under performing - no doubt - he is still so far above other players on our list IMO, so entertaining the discussion is simply mind boggling. Wilson is a massive part of our drive forward through the next decade, so you support and wait for form. That is simple 101 management to me. He is a beautiful kick, has one of the longest kicks in our team, can run the lines, and for whatever reason he is not looking the best. I put this down to a change in our style, and he will get there, we just need a little patience.
This! The idea that we can just replace a guy like Wilson is fanciful.

As a mature ager, Shultz doesn’t get the luxury of “give him a few years to develop”. Like Barlow, Mzungu, and even Collins and Silvagni, they should be able to contribute or “play a role” straight off the bat. They should have composure under pressure that kids sometimes lack. That being said, I’m not writing him off just yet. I put Bewley in the same boat.
I agree, but being realistic, Schultz has been brought in because we are lacking small forward personnel right now. I think he has been brought in as a stop gap. I am not a big fan of that as a drafting strategy, but for an "emergency" it is ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez 'Teachers pet'. What a load of absolute nonsense. Thats why he spent most of last year out of the team. The holding the ball chase downs pretty much only happen when there is lack of talk from team mates. ITs hard to have eyes in the back of your head. That applies to all players too. Not sure on the other error as I was at the game so possibly missed one if the ball was up the other end. Fill free to enlighten me. Id love to know the examples you have of him not chasing. He led all defenders (in terms of players who spent all game in defence ie not Conca) last night in tackles with four.
I respect your opinion on him as a player but I don't share it. I'm not going to argue with you but i'm not the only one who thinks he isn't strong enough to be a third tall and isn't quick enough to play on a small. Added to that he is a poor kick and a very poor and slow decision maker. Given the same opportunities I'm sure others would do equally well without the liabilities. I hope he kesps improving because he is clearly favoured to the otber options
Fox footy
Goal kicking and basic skill errors proved an issue — and Matt Taberner was a big culprit in this sense, despite a strong overall game. Ethan Hughes couldn’t handle Jack Darling’s size while Lachie Schultz was quiet.
The West (three word summary)
Ethan Hughes- under the pump.
Either we are right or you you and other Hughes supporters are. It's all just opinion. Luckily for Hughes he will be given lots of opportunities to prove me wrong. All he needs to do is get stronger or quicker, improve his decision -making and kicking. Easy. Ross likes effort and doesn't care about skill. I don't agree and I don't have to.

I respect your opinion on him as a player but I don't share it. I'm not going to argue with you but i'm not the only one who thinks he isn't strong enough to be a third tall and isn't quick enough to play on a small. Added to that he is a poor kick and a very poor and slow decision maker. Given the same opportunities I'm sure others would do equally well without the liabilities. I hope he kesps improving because he is clearly favoured to the otber options
Fox footy
Goal kicking and basic skill errors proved an issue — and Matt Taberner was a big culprit in this sense, despite a strong overall game. Ethan Hughes couldn’t handle Jack Darling’s size while Lachie Schultz was quiet.
Either we are right or you you and other Hughes supporters are. It's all just opinion. Luckily for Hughes he will be given lots of opportunities to prove me wrong. All he needs to do is get stronger or quicker, improve his decision -making and kicking. Easy. Ross likes effort and doesn't care about skill. I don't agree and I don't have to.
Yep. I agree. Obviously you dont have to agree with me. I thought that went without saying. At the game I though Ethan handled Darling's size, strength and pace terrifically.Ethan would be one of the quickest in our team. He led the afl in top speed measured on the gps a couple of seasons ago. Never, ever agree with the Worst Australian write-ups. Surely Shultz, Colyer and Wilson all under the pump more than Ethan.

I also agree we obviously we need better skills in the team and that should be taken into account at selection. If possible Id fast track Valente and/or Sturt into the team if they are kicking the ball well at WAFL level. Id drop Colyer the second either one of them looks remotely ready at the moment. In the short term hopefully Nyhuis and North get a game next week. At least they can use the football.

Hughes was awesome on Darling once Hamling was injured. The only goal Darling kicked after Hamling went off was when Ryan was playing on him. So much for the insults on here. GWS goes with second and third tall that are more running types in Finlayson and Himmelberg. Cox would be a terrible match-up for both of them or Cameron. Id go Nyhuis and Fyfe (only if ready) for Shultz and Hamling.

Anyone want to make a bet Hughes is ahead of Cerra in the best and fairest after four rounds? Loser only has to post on here they were wrong either way.
Darling got two goals from most riculous play acting/diving. Such a cheat. Remember when McPharlin bumped him in the chest, but he swung his head back and milked it.. he’s the new Dean Cox, took up the mantle ASAP after he retired

jfc you know you must be short on points for a debate when you have to quote something from The West. BTW according to that same publication, every Eagle was a hero on the weekend, and all of Freo's players were apparently terrible except Mundy. Sounds legit.

I thought they were improving but I'm back to forgetting they exist for a while again.

Jason carter a chance if wilson is out? He was good against West Perth, I didnt see the game against the eagles reserves. Not sure that we do need an LTI anymore but if we do then kersten is out for 10 weeks anyway

Fox footy
The fact you quoted The West voids your point. Hughes handled Darling expertly. Matched him for size, speed and over the ground. Normally Hamling would’ve gone to him, but Ross trusted Hughes enough.
His two goals came from sensational diving from Darling. He got 10s from all the judges. Gold medal stuff.
Like Ibbotson, sure Hughes’ a slow decision making, but he has some qualities that deserves to be highlighted. He’s only 188cm. But can mark like a 195cm backman.
People seem to forget, right now Logue is nowhere ready for AFL. He hasn’t played since 2017. It’s fanciful to think Griffin can slot straight in and do better. He ll be playing for Peel until mid season at best when he comes back. Until then, Hughes the best we have.
Nyhuis should be coming in at perhaps the expense of Conca/Cerra. One half back/midfielder is enough. It was overkill with both Conca and Cerra there but Hamling was injured.

I'm with Salim. Harsh to make a judgement call so early into his career but I don't see Schultz as anything more than an average state league small forward.

Doesn't seem to have great speed, struggles to kick 40m+ and doesn't seem to have the goal sense that you expect from small fwds. It really is harsh to make such an early call but compare him to Switta who is also a small fwd/mature age pickup with under 5 AFL games. You can see a difference.

It hurts because Walters, Matera and now Schultz would probably be three of the slowest small forwards in the comp. Walters is excellent in so many other facets of the game that his slowish top speed isn't an issue. Matera and Schultz don't have as many tricks in the bag to compensate.

Coyler just isn't doing much and his skills are poor. If he isn't going to use his elite speed to spread from the contest and provide and option like BHill and Langdon then I don't know what his purpose is.

We don't really have any B22 player to come back in yet so let's create some excitement and big in a fresh face.

In: Fyfe - North
Out: Schultz - Coyler

Hughes - Hamling - Ryan
Wilson - A Pearce - Duman
Langdon - Mundy - B Hill
Switta - Hogan - Walters
Matera - Tabs - Mcarthy

Lobb - Fyfe - Tucker

Cerra - Brayshaw - Conca - North

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5: Changes Vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad