Royal Park FC

Remove this Banner Ad

RedCentrePower

Team Captain
Jun 1, 2014
Alice Springs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone have any knowledge of the Royal Park Football Club? I played at Seaton Ramblers and I think there was a Royal Park team back then ( late 50's & in the 60's) I am trying to help out a lady whose brother Michael Kasianowicz played for them and the Alberton FC & Railways FC. ( 2 other siblings Lonka & Alex)

The only bit of info Ive found so far: Is Royal Park was granted senior status in the SAFA in 1882, but its involvement in the competition was both ignominious and brief as, after finishing last of six clubs, it disappeared without trace. - See more at: http://australianfootball.com/clubs/info/Royal+Park/210#sthash.Z2qEppWR.dpuf

I know the late Joe Kozlowski played for Royal Park. I am not sure when they were founded, I know the club was around in the 1960s and I know their ground as I had a mate that lived around the corner and we used to kick the footy there, but I cannot recall playing against them. I am pretty sure they used to play out of what is now the Carnegie South Reserve in Crown Terrace and I suspect the Western Strikers Soccer Club which was not founded until 1980 uses their old clubrooms. I could be wrong though.

I lived at Alberton until 1973, worked at Seaton until 1975 and played for a couple of SAAFL clubs in the Port but Royal Park were always a bit of a phantom club to me and I would not have known they existed if it were not for my mate living around the corner.

I know the late Joe Kozlowski played for Royal Park. I am not sure when they were founded, I know the club was around in the 1960s and I know their ground as I had a mate that lived around the corner and we used to kick the footy there, but I cannot recall playing against them. I am pretty sure they used to play out of what is now the Carnegie South Reserve in Crown Terrace and I suspect the Western Strikers Soccer Club which was not founded until 1980 uses their old clubrooms. I could be wrong though.

I lived at Alberton until 1973, worked at Seaton until 1975 and played for a couple of SAAFL clubs in the Port but Royal Park were always a bit of a phantom club to me and I would not have known they existed if it were not for my mate living around the corner.

Thanks for the info - I new Joe in my school years at Seaton Boys Tech along with Eddie Arkit who was jnr at Royal Park, he played snrs at Rosewater and Ports - he couldn't get a look at many game's with the likes of Russell Ebert. John " Sammy" Ede was also in same class rooms at Seaton Boys Tech - our school footy coach was Sth Adelaide's Bob Schmidt. I think, we may have played against Royal Park in one of the grades when I was playing for Seaton Ramblers. ( recent research shows they wore Red & White & were known as the Roosters). There were a lot of Ramblers boys and a few of the Royal Park players at Seaton Boys Tech - like Michael Kasianowicz & maybe his 2 brothers - Michael, according to his sister was 100 goal kicker at his 3clubs. he was mates with Joe and was coached by him Alberton United. I would think with the surname Kasianowicz would be remembered by all those who played football with him. Like an old mate John Baruzzi who won a 2nd medal at Port could crack snrs so went to play at Norths.

Last edited:

raptalia are you thinking of St Michaels Old Scholars (SMOSH)? They were based at Crown Tce, Royal Park until 1995. They amalgamated with West Lakes (SMOSH West Lakes) and have played at Bartley Tce since 1996. From memory SMOSHs 25th anniversary was in 1994 (?) so would have been around since about 1969. I bumbled around with them on and off from 1991 to 2004. Great club.

I got the following from adelaidefootball.com.au/history in regards to Royal Park and SMOSH

image.png

Geez, Eddie Arkit, there's a blast from the past, from memory he played a few league games in the late 1960's.

Joe Kozlowski was one of those blokes who could tear it up at magoo's level ( ala David Cheetham ), but neither could make the step up to league footy.

I reckon Fidelis `Fiji ' Skorzewski and Jaraslav Kurovec, who both played a couple of league games for The Maggies in the early 70's came from Royal Park, not sure it was Royal Park footy club though.
There was also a bloke named Hryhorec who came from the same area, he too played a handfull of games in the early 70's.

Last edited:
Ive found this, SAAFL Disbanded teams. Discussion in 'Regional Footy' started by safooty, Jul 3, 2002.

Royal Park - White with red V

Riverside, Ethelton and Alberton United...didnt they merger to become Portland ?

And old Royal Park the Roosters.....My stomping ground as a kid....

Joe Kozlowski played for Royal Park...

PA1870. Port Adelaide 1870, Jul 4, 2002.

raptalia are you thinking of St Michaels Old Scholars (SMOSH)? They were based at Crown Tce, Royal Park until 1995. They amalgamated with West Lakes (SMOSH West Lakes) and have played at Bartley Tce since 1996. From memory SMOSHs 25th anniversary was in 1994 (?) so would have been around since about 1969. I bumbled around with them on and off from 1991 to 2004. Great club.

I got the following from adelaidefootball.com.au/history in regards to Royal Park and SMOSH

View attachment 230913

Yes CC, I am aware that SMOSH are the remnants of the Hindmarsh FC and St Michaels Old Scholars and they may even have a dash of Semaphore Park in the lines because Delfin Realty wanted the Semaphore Park ground for re-development as part of the West Lakes scheme. As a result Semaphore Park were relocated to Bartley Terrace they were re badged as West Lakes Football Club but eventually SMOSH took over. My son and a skinny kid called Tredrea played their junior footy for West Lakes. SMOSH are still active of course but I doubt Royal Park are.

I definitely remember a Royal Park Football Club and always thought they played at Crown Terrace at some stage in the 1960s. As I say Royal Park were a bit of a phantom because I knew of their existence and worked down the road but never played against them, saw them play and I did not personally play with anyone who had played with them. I had never heard of them playing in the SAAFL so I do not know what Association they played in.

Joe Kozlowski passed away at an early age some years back. Joe played full back in the Port Adelaide Reserves and may have had a League game or two. He was a nice bloke and worked for Greg Fahey as a barman at the Lakes Resort Hotel in the 1990's. Did not realise that Arkit was also a Royal Park player.

Keep digging RCP we are sure to turn up someone who knows what happened to Royal Park Football Club. I will make some enquiries and see if I can turn anything up.

I found someone who played against Royal Park in the Adelaide Suburban League but it was a long time ago. From the rough description he gave I believe he played against them at Crown Terrace. He mentioned that Joe Kozlowski was playing in ruck at the time.

Another source said Royal Park went to the Glenelg South League but became insolvent and folded. They may have played in both Leagues at some stage because a lot of clubs floated between leagues and the leagues themselves were not that stable.

Last edited:
Anyone have any knowledge of the Royal Park Football Club? I played at Seaton Ramblers and I think there was a Royal Park team back then ( late 50's & in the 60's) I am trying to help out a lady whose brother Michael Kasianowicz played for them and the Alberton FC & Railways FC. ( 2 other siblings Lonka & Alex)

The only bit of info Ive found so far: Is Royal Park was granted senior status in the SAFA in 1882, but its involvement in the competition was both ignominious and brief as, after finishing last of six clubs, it disappeared without trace. - See more at: http://australianfootball.com/clubs/info/Royal+Park/210#sthash.Z2qEppWR.dpuf

Royal Park Football Club, from 1968 until 1978 and one year again in 1983, where it was reformed and admitted to the league, but from memory was skimmed clean of all its financials and shut down at seasons end. I know in late 1979 there was a massive save the club show at the club that involved an all you can drink all you can eat, Girlie show, but that failed to save the club and it closed. I played for them briefly as a teen and most of the guys in Royal Park had some stint with them: The Roosters: They were not connected to SMOSH, SMOSH took over the club rooms after the demise of Royal Park: Soon after SMOSH moved to West Lakes, The Western Strikers took over the Facility and changed it from a Football Oval into a Soccer ground.

From memory: I played against them a couple of times via Junior footy 1973/4 I was with either Semaphore Centrals or Western Youth ( memory ???)
I don't believe they have connection with Semaphore Park :Crown Tce was the oval location.

A point of interest they have a small ANZAC memorial garden there with the name ???? Cooper, whose family had Cooper electrics corner Tapley's Hill and Trimmer adjacent Rail line. Think he played a few games colts or thirds Junior footy for PAFC before enlisting but was KIA (Vietnam). If any one knows any more PM me. TIA

Carnegie Reserve Memorial (Allan Cooper & Henry Stanczyk)

http://monumentaustralia.org.au/the...erve-memorial-allan-cooper-and-henry-stanczyk

The monument commemorates Private Allan Cooper, a member of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment who was killed in action during the battles of Coral and Balmoral in the Vietnam War, and Henry Stanczyk who was also killed in action in Vietnam in 1970.

In May and June 1968 Australian soldiers fought their largest, most sustained and arguably most hazardous battles of the Vietnam War. Units of the 1st Australian Task Force (1ATF) confronted regimental-sized formations of the North Vietnamese regular army in fierce actions around Fire Support Patrol Bases (FSPB) Coral and Balmoral in what was then known as Bien Hoa province.

Over the four weeks, in further actions around FSPB Coral and Balmoral, Australian soldiers accounted for over 300 enemy soldiers killed. They also captured hundreds of enemy weapons. In return, 26 Australian soldiers died: two from 12 Field Regiment; one from 104 Signals Squadron; 16 from 1 RAR; 6 from 3 RAR and one from 161 Independent Reconnaisance Squadron. Over 100 Australians were wounded. Australian Army regiments involved in the series of battles were later awarded one of the five battle honours approved for the Vietnam War.

Australia's military involvement in the Vietnam War began with the arrival of the Australian Army Training Team Vietnam (AATTV) in South Vietnam during July and August 1962. Australia's participation in the war was formally declared at an end when the Governor-General issued a proclamation on 11 January 1973.

However, the end-date of Australia's involvement in the Vietnam War has officially been amended to 29 April 1975 to reflect Australia’s further involvement in the war during the fall of Saigon in 1975. The Department of Veterans Affairs and the Australian War Memorial, in Canberra now recognise this new date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory: I played against them a couple of times via Junior footy 1973/4 I was with either Semaphore Centrals or Western Youth ( memory ???)
I don't believe they have connection with Semaphore Park :Crown Tce was the oval location.

A point of interest they have a small ANZAC memorial garden there with the name ???? Cooper, whose family had Cooper electrics corner Tapley's Hill and Trimmer adjacent Rail line. Think he played a few games colts or thirds Junior footy for PAFC before enlisting but was KIA (Vietnam). If any one knows any more PM me. TIA

Carnegie Reserve Memorial (Allan Cooper & Henry Stanczyk)

http://monumentaustralia.org.au/the...erve-memorial-allan-cooper-and-henry-stanczyk

The monument commemorates Private Allan Cooper, a member of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment who was killed in action during the battles of Coral and Balmoral in the Vietnam War, and Henry Stanczyk who was also killed in action in Vietnam in 1970.

In May and June 1968 Australian soldiers fought their largest, most sustained and arguably most hazardous battles of the Vietnam War. Units of the 1st Australian Task Force (1ATF) confronted regimental-sized formations of the North Vietnamese regular army in fierce actions around Fire Support Patrol Bases (FSPB) Coral and Balmoral in what was then known as Bien Hoa province.

Over the four weeks, in further actions around FSPB Coral and Balmoral, Australian soldiers accounted for over 300 enemy soldiers killed. They also captured hundreds of enemy weapons. In return, 26 Australian soldiers died: two from 12 Field Regiment; one from 104 Signals Squadron; 16 from 1 RAR; 6 from 3 RAR and one from 161 Independent Reconnaisance Squadron. Over 100 Australians were wounded. Australian Army regiments involved in the series of battles were later awarded one of the five battle honours approved for the Vietnam War.

Australia's military involvement in the Vietnam War began with the arrival of the Australian Army Training Team Vietnam (AATTV) in South Vietnam during July and August 1962. Australia's participation in the war was formally declared at an end when the Governor-General issued a proclamation on 11 January 1973.

However, the end-date of Australia's involvement in the Vietnam War has officially been amended to 29 April 1975 to reflect Australia’s further involvement in the war during the fall of Saigon in 1975. The Department of Veterans Affairs and the Australian War Memorial, in Canberra now recognise this new date.

I played for Royal Park juniors in 1976, and I was no football Jedi lol. Lived around the corner on Palm Ave for most of the 1970s.

Just on the memorial to Alan Cooper - as an 11 year old in 1976 it barely registered to me - decades later I was stunned to be reminded of it while visiting the Darwin aviation museum, they had an exhibit on Australians who had gone to Vietnam with a short bio and picture.

IMG_4731.JPG

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Geez, Eddie Arkit, there's a blast from the past, from memory he played a few league games in the late 1960's.

Joe Kozlowski was one of those blokes who could tear it up at magoo's level ( ala David Cheetham ), but neither could make the step up to league footy.

I reckon Fidelis `Fiji ' Skorzewski and Jaraslav Kurovec, who both played a couple of league games for The Maggies in the early 70's came from Royal Park, not sure it was Royal Park footy club though.
There was also a bloke named Hryhorec who came from the same area, he too played a handfull of games in the early 70's.

I played in premierships with RPFC in 1967 (undefeated U15) and 1973 A4 Amateur League
Won the B and F in the 67 undefeated premiership side
Played with Joe, Mick K, his bro Lanka, Fiji, Graham Dodson, Graham Hoare, David Cates, David Major, Sleepy Deller,Graham Gill, Eddie Arkit, Joe Pirone, Henry Sirocka, Mick Velocovick, Barry Campaign, Jeff Greer, Gary Crack etc etc so many I can’t remember all
I went to Seaton Tech from 65 to 69 and there was quite a rivalry with the Ramblers guys even though we never played against them
School side was pretty strong with Sammy Ede, Noel Annear, Trevor Skuse as well as the guys mentioned above
I Played juniors with Port for a number of years was then recruited by South before doing a knee and went back to RP in 73 for a senior flag with Joe, Sleepy, Henry, Fifi, Mick and Lanka.
Lost contact with the club around 1976 when I moved North to play with Salisbury but believe RP struggled for numbers and folded in late 70’s
Still have the photos of the premiership teams in 67 and 73
They played at Carnegie Reserve in my time and in my junior years wore black and red(Essendon) and in senior years red and white vertical stripes
My bro also played juniors there with Phil Maylin who went on to play for Carlton and Footscray
Many memories
Cheers
David

I played in premierships with RPFC in 1967 (undefeated U15) and 1973 A4 Amateur League
Won the B and F in the 67 undefeated premiership side
Played with Joe, Mick K, his bro Lanka, Fiji, Graham Dodson, Graham Hoare, David Cates, David Major, Sleepy Deller,Graham Gill, Eddie Arkit, Joe Pirone, Henry Sirocka, Mick Velocovick, Barry Campaign, Jeff Greer, Gary Crack etc etc so many I can’t remember all
I went to Seaton Tech from 65 to 69 and there was quite a rivalry with the Ramblers guys even though we never played against them
School side was pretty strong with Sammy Ede, Noel Annear, Trevor Skuse as well as the guys mentioned above
I Played juniors with Port for a number of years was then recruited by South before doing a knee and went back to RP in 73 for a senior flag with Joe, Sleepy, Henry, Fifi, Mick and Lanka.
Lost contact with the club around 1976 when I moved North to play with Salisbury but believe RP struggled for numbers and folded in late 70’s
Still have the photos of the premiership teams in 67 and 73
They played at Carnegie Reserve in my time and in my junior years wore black and red(Essendon) and in senior years red and white vertical stripes
My bro also played juniors there with Phil Maylin who went on to play for Carlton and Footscray
Many memories
Cheers
David

Great to hear from you Dave. Hope you are well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back