Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

When will the jury have delivered their decisions of guilty or not guilty on both?

• 1st day

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 2nd day

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Between day 3 and 5

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Over 1 week

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hung on one or both timeframe unknown

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is PART 1 Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

DPP v Lynn [2024] VSCA 62 (12 April 2024) INTERLOCUTORY APPEAL

R v Lynn (Rulings 1-4) [2024] VSC 373 (28 June 2024)

R v Lynn (Rulings 5 & 6) [2024] VSC 375 (28 February 2024)

R v Lynn (Ruling 7) [2024] VSC 376 (8 May 2024)

The Greg Lynn Police Interview Tapes (Shortened Version)

The 3.5 HR Police Interview

THREADS FOR THE HIGH COUNTRY DISAPPEARED
High Country Disappearance of Prison Boss David Prideaux
The Disappearance of Warren Meyer

2008 - Warren Meyer (23 March 2008) not found
2010 - Japp and Annie Viergever (29 March 2010) both shot & 3 dogs, house burnt.
2011 - David Prideaux (5 June 2011) not found
2017 - Kevin Tenant (17 February 2018) shot 3 times, played dead.
2019 - Conrad Whitlock (29 July 2019) not found
2019 - Niels Becker (24 October 2019) not found
2020 - Russell Hill and Carol Clay (20 March 2020) murdered

Lynn's first wife Lisa, was found dead on 26 October 1999.

Last edited:
I'm pretty impressed with the jury coming back with two clear decisions actually but it might have been better for the Hill family if they'd hung on the decision for Hill.
I think it's 6 of one and 6 of the other. As long as he got done for 1 x murder they'd be pretty happy. And to be fair I think Hill probs took it up to Lynn but didn't expect to get killed for it. I'm only guessing. We'll never know

Killed the neighbours pet?
That says it all....
This was mentioned early days in this thread. There was a person who wrote here that knew Lynn or more so his 1st wife. He hated noise so did 2 things , 1 x Kill the neighbours barking dog and 2 slept in his own backyard to escape his own children's noise. It was when I first read this from a credible source that it painted in part a picture of the man Lynn IMO. There were many other allegations as outlined in the article, What the jury didn't see etc. Allegations of abuse, threats to kill the list says it all. It may have been thought by Lynn's 1st wife's family that Lynn may have given her the drugs etc that were found in her system or she simply turned to drugs to cope with Lynn. Her family said black and bluer she never took drugs etc. It's pandora's box and perhaps irrelevant now if he has been found guilty of murder and it paints his character accordingly IMO if this is all true.

So,

With the verdict being handed down, can we officially ignore the drone flights and footage?

The prosecution didn't mention them.

Lynn's story has not been accepted by the jury

But all the boxes were ticked
I believe it started over the drone and it was noise and invasion of privacy that tipped Lynn into anger mode, not the footage and associated story this was all fabricated to give Hill the gun. That's only my opinion respectively IMO

IMO he has a good chance of an appeal. This split verdict makes no sense. It’s beyond me how people cannot see that he’s guilty of two murders. Just madness.
Who is appealing? Your comment makes it sounds like an appeal on the not guilty verdict from the prosecution, which is not possible.

Prosecution could appeal the sentence, but we’re not at that stage yet.

If you think GL will appeal, on what grounds do you suggest? I’d propose an appeal might be possible on the grounds that GL didn’t intend to kill or cause serious injury and that there isn’t evidence to confirm any such thing. His defence could argue that GL’s evidence is that it was a struggle in the heat of an argument or confrontation and there cannot possibly be intent to kill in that situation.

I could write more about different theories and approaches to appeals, prosecution, defence, etc but I’m going outside to soak up some sun 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow ... the judge nearly torpedoed the entire case by earlier ruling that post death behaviour of incriminating conduct by destroying evidence could only be made against charges such as manslaughter, not murder. That left the prosecution with the option of dropping the charges for murder and proceeding on manslaughter, or appealing the decision.

Ultimately this weird decision was successfully appealed by the defence.
Yes I agree. He basically corralled the jury into a very narrow corner for murder. He off course was only doing his job but it goes to show if you destroy the evidence you can getaway with murder with some luck. The phone ping at Hotham and the Clay Shotgun slug nailed him in the end. 2 things he could have avoided but didn't IMO

Balance of probability is not a concept in murders.

It kind of is a concept actually.

If the prosecution’s produces evidence there is a natural presumption that whatever it is that is presented exists, unless evidence of the contrary is produced by the defence.

Any such evidence produced to the contrary (by defence) must rebut this presumption from the prosecution “on the balance of probabilities” (not beyond reasonable doubt)

Yes I agree. He basically corralled the jury into a very narrow corner for murder. He off course was only doing his job but it goes to show if you destroy the evidence you can getaway with murder with some luck. The phone ping at Hotham and the Clay Shotgun slug nailed him in the end. 2 things he could have avoided but didn't IMO
This can only help the pros. when he tries to appeal, the judge was strict in the law so the chances of an appeal should be slim.

I think you’re applying the old fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine which would apply if the police committed some unlawful conduct around the interview. It appears the route defence took around the interview was the police overbore his will, in which case the interview could not be admitted but the drawings and maps were still admissible
'Even though Dann went pretty hard down this track I can't possibly see how the police could be accused of misconduct.

He wasn't interviewed immediately, was allowed rest. Was informed he didn't have to say anything. Was advised to speak to his appointed legal representative. Said lawyer actually spoke to Lynn and further advised him to say nothing.

I don't see the unlawful conduct here. This was an intelligent man, he wasn't grilled or held in inhumane conditions.

It’s only his family who will suffer. GL gets free board and food for probably or most of the rest of his life.
So much for him protecting his family.
Exclusive club membership. Just not the club he applied for 😉

One of the problems is when the jury is instructed to find a motive and to fit the evidence into the neat and inflexible 'four elements of murder'.

Unfortunately, some murders do not fit in the box and the accused is therefore found not guilty.
Those secret
One of the problems is when the jury is instructed to find a motive and to fit the evidence into the neat and inflexible 'four elements of murder'.

Unfortunately, some murders do not fit in the box and the accused is therefore found not guilty.
Those secret recordings are going to make a great addition to a book.

“The Coroners Court heard Lynn accepted via unsigned statements he had been violent toward his ex-wife including breaking into the family home, stealing keys and taking the car.

'Greg's behaviour in general would be described as bizarre. In my opinion, he has a warped mind,' she (Lisa’s mother) told the coroner.

'He has done things in the past like killing animals and neighbour's pet, refusing to feed the children when he was supposed to be looking after them and on one occasion, he exploded into a fit of uncontrollable rage when we went for dinner at the Macedon Hotel.'

Lisa's mum told the court Lynn verbally attacked a man in the bar after he made the mistake of speaking to Lisa.

He then flew into a 'rage' at his then wife after leaving the hotel, she told the coroner.

Lynn's defence chose not to present any 'good character' evidence to the jury.”

And yet Mr Hill’s character was assassinated in court. The system is broken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

Back