n668067098_286439_4486.jpg

Height: 198

Weight: 99

Date of Birth: 23rd January 1987

Nickname: Bruce

Contract Details: Delisted at the end of 2008

Position: Forward

SANFL Club: West Adelaide

Recruited From: Northern U18 (Pick 19 in the 2004 National Draft), delisted at the end of 2007 and then redrafted in the 2008 Rookie Draft at pick 47.

Career Games: 3

Career Goals: 1

For more career stats click here.

More info on Ryan Willits

Ryan Willits (born January 23, 1987 in Australia) is an Australian Rules Footballer and current player of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Ryan was recruited by Port Adelaide from St Marys (VMFL)/Northern U18 as Port's number 19 selection in the 2004 AFL Draft.

Standing at 198cm and weighing almost 100kgs, 20 year old Ryan is one of the most powerful young players in the AFL in terms of strength and size.

He debuted for Port late in the 2006 AFL Season, playing 3 games and totalling 25 disposals.

He has played in the ruck and as a key forward for Port. He has also played as a defender for his former SANFL club Glenelg. His current SANFL club is West Adelaide, having moved there in April 2007 to seek more opportunities to play in a forward role.

At the end of 2008 he was delisted by the Club.

Re: #11 Ryan Willits

Hi, I drafted Ryan in the buddy draft for 2007. After moving to Westies and kicking a bag against Glenelg, it was an uneventful year.

Willits

wheres this dude at? i expected big things when i saw him playing junior footy down in vic but has done next to nothing for you fine folks.just wondering if he's getting delisted,got injury worries etc. i wouldnt mind the roos picking him up and making a new Rodan(hopefully).thanks in advance

Check out this thread, just to save everyone replying to another "Where's Willits at?" thread.

Deeeeeeeeeeeeelisted

I recall Bruce has been mentioned by team mates as well as on these boards, or Rhino has been heard in the crowd at Footy Park (as well as the expletives).

Watch out for this man monster this year, his delisting could have possibly been the kick in the pants he needed to prove he's got what it takes to make it at AFL level.

Willits has been a stand out improver in the pre-season running, tracking super runner Kane Cornes. Here's hoping his new found fitness and running machine status translates to improved SANFL form and a return to the main list.

n668067098_418812_2211.jpg

This is by no means a troll, and it’s good to see his fitness has improved, but at the end of the day what does it really matter? I saw him against Norwood last year and he presented hard all day long and took about a dozen marks playing across CHF. As it turns out it was one of the few good games he played last season. He’s obviously got good fitness levels and has been working hard to improve in that aspect, but where to now in terms of actual football ability?

Does he have the skills and coordination to be an AFL player? He’s obviously got great size and a good work rate, but he just doesn’t look like someone who has what it takes to consistently play at the highest level. He just lacks something, football IQ perhaps, that’s about the best way I can sum it up. At times he looks like he could make it, but he seems to fall short. Maybe he’ll turn it around in 2008, and for his and your sake I hope he does, but I personally can’t see it happening. Just one too many deficiencies IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah Drummond, I wouldn't call that a troll. I think you've put an outsider's perspective on what a number of Port supporters are thinking anyway ... and there's more than a few who are much more strongly dismissive than you on Willits. I'm hopeful he can salvage his career - there are elements of his game I like, but yes there's another side to his game which isn't so good. Until we see him play again, all that's left to comment on his remarkable fitness turnout.

It's funny, I remember the Burgan phantom draft at the time had Port taking him or Chad Gibson as the big man pick at #19. We wound up with Willits and the crows took Gibson - now one's gone and the other one is hanging on by his fingernails. At this point in time, it doesn't seem to have made much difference which one we took - wonder how long the decision was agonised over before flipping the coin? ;)

Hanging onto Willits just means we need to cut him plus two others at the end of the year.

I highly doubt he will play any games in the proper season and if anything all he has is a very exclusive gym pass.

The only way that Willits will play a game this year is if someone is put on the long term injury list (i.e. an injury that will keep them out for 8 weeks) and then Willits is chosen to be the rookie that is elevated to the main list and then after that selected to play. That's a lot of if's.

He showed potential in the 3 games that he played at the end of 2006 and then was not given any opportunity to play and therefore show anything in 2007. It is hard to show anything if you are not getting a game and in my opinion SANFL form means nothing in a totally different team structure.

In pre season training it appears that he has been used exclusively in the backline so this may mean that Port is possibly considering him for a different role.

The only way that Willits will play a game this year is if someone is put on the long term injury list (i.e. an injury that will keep them out for 8 weeks) and then Willits is chosen to be the rookie that is elevated to the main list and then after that selected to play. That's a lot of if's.

He showed potential in the 3 games that he played at the end of 2006 and then was not given any opportunity to play and therefore show anything in 2007. It is hard to show anything if you are not getting a game and in my opinion SANFL form means nothing in a totally different team structure.

In pre season training it appears that he has been used exclusively in the backline so this may mean that Port is possibly considering him for a different role.

As has been said during pre season he has been training with the defensive group and their has been talk that he will be elevated to the main list (becaause of Wilsons injury which will keep him out for 8 - 10 weeks)
what also points to a change by the club last year in the draft they drafted Lobbe & Hoff (mark 2) so now he has Tredders, White, Cockshell, Hoff (mark 1), Lobbe, Hoff (mark 2), Stewart and any resting ruckmen in the forward line to compete with ....
As a defender he has Chaplin, Thurstans, Grew, Carlile maybe Chad, maybe Stewart and Grose
As a ruckman he might also be in the mix (as our new number 3 or 4 ruckman) as he is on par with Deluca (with AFL experience). He does more on field than Deluca. he might be a bit short but with his new found speed and endurance he would cause problems around the ground for other ruckmen except for Cox, Goodes, maybe Leuenberger and Kreuzer

Re: #41 Ryan Willits

The big fella must have played ok for Westies.

10 Marks and 20 possie's

Maybe Choco should give him a go over Thurstans.

I know Toby is a tall defender for the big fella's in attach, Damon may be a bit short for that spot, but maybe Mr Willits time is now to stand up and develop. I can't see Toby developing too much more and I am yet convinced.

The big fella must have played ok for Westies.

10 Marks and 20 possie's

Maybe Choco should give him a go over Thurstans.

I know Toby is a tall defender for the big fella's in attach, Damon may be a bit short for that spot, but maybe Mr Willits time is now to stand up and develop. I can't see Toby developing too much more and I am yet convinced.

If Brisbane have made a footballer out of Merritt, I am sure we can make a footballer out of Wilits!

If Brisbane have made a footballer out of Merritt, I am sure we can make a footballer out of Wilits!

Spot on.

I know Toby adds some experience in defense but it isn't helping but we still need that bigger bodied defender for the monaliths of the competition.

Damon will be too small and I think it's time to give Willits a go, his last chance really.

The only way that Willits will play a game this year is if someone is put on the long term injury list (i.e. an injury that will keep them out for 8 weeks) and then Willits is chosen to be the rookie that is elevated to the main list and then after that selected to play.

Or if he starts burning in the SANFL...

Minson is gone...

based on a few of his recent facebook status's I'm wondering if willitshas lost his passion for football, either that or he's really down

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Willits (Past Players)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back