Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Recently, there has been a lot of talk centred upon ā€˜Scores from turnoversā€™. Apparently Brisbane & Sydney are top 2 in this category, & weā€™re average at best.

I raised this issue earlier in the season & think there is a simple reason behind it. Your forward line is usually less congested when you donā€™t have possession which allows more time & space for the forwards to work into, which normally equates to easier scoring opportunities.

I canā€™t understand why Ken has never been seriously challenged on persisting with his high forward press game plan. It doesnā€™t work against the better sides, & never will.

Ken is doing the exit interviews as well as being on leave. He is also getting sacked and coaching here next year. He is also not involved in recruiting and also is bringing in new players. Ken is the mastermind of the game plan and has no input into tactics.
Youā€™ve just summed up this thread perfectly. Thanks for the lols

Recently, there has been a lot of talk centred upon ā€˜Scores from turnoversā€™. Apparently Brisbane & Sydney are top 2 in this category, & weā€™re average at best.

I raised this issue earlier in the season & think there is a simple reason behind it. Your forward line is usually less congested when you donā€™t have possession which allows more time & space for the forwards to work into, which normally equates to easier scoring opportunities.

I canā€™t understand why Ken has never been seriously challenged on persisting with his high forward press game plan. It doesnā€™t work against the better sides, & never will.

I think this is the micro version of the macro mentality at the club of being scared of change just in case things get worse. Hinkley is a very insecure coach who doesn't have much self belief (understandable given his extensive playing and coaching careers which are yet to yield a premiership). He'd rather stick to something that he knows gets him good results even if it doesn't look like it'll get him great results.

I think this is the micro version of the macro mentality at the club of being scared of change just in case things get worse. Hinkley is a very insecure coach who doesn't have much self belief (understandable given his extensive playing and coaching careers which are yet to yield a premiership). He'd rather stick to something that he knows gets him good results even if it doesn't look like it'll get him great results.

Youā€™re forgetting the time he sacrificed his career by sanctioning the departure of Wingard, Polec and Pittard.

To bring in Rozee, Duursma, Burton, Lycett and Sutcliffe.

The reason why he doesnā€™t change the gameplan is because it delivers 60% wins in the minor round. Perfect fodder for gaining indefinite extensions. Itā€™s not unlike when Kane would flap his arms around to gain 30 inconsequential possessions every week in the back end of his career, to great financial success. No wonder the Cornes clan love Kenny.

On a more serious note though, the club obviously committed to two things about ten years ago:

1) a high-press, forward half gameplan that generates a large number of inside 50s (see CD tongue lashing Josh Money about this in yesterdayā€™s presser re: conversion rates). Itā€™s a low-variance style that isnā€™t efficient or potent enough to succeed in the finals but delivers enough wins against the bottom 10 to keep da true believers happy, and the cash flowing in. This is why the club admin and footy staff think we ā€œjust need to keep turning upā€, because the dice will at some point roll in our favour (despite the overwhelming, incontrovertible evidence that this will not work).

2) a Moneyball-style approach to trading players. Essentially no commitment to anyone, we will trade/release anyone if the opposing club is paying overs based on what the ā€˜data warehouseā€™ spits out.

Itā€™s been good enough to produce pretty solid results over the last decade, but neglects the art of winning football in favour of science.

Any sensible person would take a 50-55% win rate in the minor round, to develop a gameplan that actually holds up in September. It was good enough for the Clarkson and Scott teams after all. But we are run by guys who think they are misunderstood geniuses of their time.

Last edited:
Dear [Supporter's Name],

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding our coach's performance. We understand and appreciate the passion and commitment our supporters have for the club.

While we acknowledge your concerns, we believe that our coach is doing a commendable job in leading the team. [Provide specific examples of the coach's successes or positive contributions].

It's important to remember that building a successful team takes time and consistency. We are confident in our coach's ability to guide the team towards our goals.

We encourage you to continue supporting the team and trust in the process.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]
CEO, Port Adelaide Football Club

AI forgot "See you at the Footy !"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole situation is so ridiculous, I feel a movie will be made in coming years, with Jim Carrey starring as a long-suffering Port supporter.

Additional cast:

Ken Hinkley - Bruce Spence

Chris Davies - Jason Alexander

David Koch - Wayne Knight

Warren Tredrea - John Butcher

Kane Cornes - Kym Gyngell

Matthew Richardson - Richard Roxburgh

Caro - Val Lehman

Gerard Whateley - Jim Parsons

Keith Thomas - Gary Sweet

Boydman - Bill Murray

Janus - Christopher Lloyd

Piston Broke - Bobcat Goldthwait

Matthew Lobbe - Harry Mountbatten

Chad Cornes - Fabio Lanzoni

Robbo - John Goodman

Holly Ransom - Jacinda Ardern

The reason why he doesnā€™t change the gameplan is because it delivers 60% wins in the minor round. Perfect fodder for gaining indefinite extensions. Itā€™s not unlike when Kane would flap his arms around to gain 30 inconsequential possessions every week in the back end of his career, to great financial success. No wonder the Cornes clan love Kenny.

On a more serious note though, they club obviously committed to two things about ten years ago:

1) a high-press, forward half gameplan that generates a large number of inside 50s (see CD tongue lashing Josh Money about this in yesterdayā€™s presser re: conversion rates). Itā€™s a low-variance style that isnā€™t efficient or potent enough to succeed in the finals but delivers enough wins against the bottom 10 to keep da true believers happy, and the cash flowing in. This is why the club admin and footy staff think we ā€œjust need to keep turning upā€, because the dice will at some point roll in our favour (despite the overwhelming, incontrovertible evidence that this will not work).

2) a Moneyball-style approach to trading players. Essentially no commitment to anyone, we will trade anyone if the opposing club is paying overs based on what the ā€˜data warehouseā€™ spits out.

Itā€™s been good enough to produce pretty solid results over the last decade, but neglects the art of winning football in favour of science.

Any sensible person would take a 50-55% win rate in the minor round, to develop an gameplan that actually holds up in September. It was good enough for the Clarkson and Scott teams after all. But we a run by guys who think they are misunderstood geniuses of their time.

That is a great and well thought out analysis.

The fact that the entire narrative around that was overwhelmingly positive on his behalf was very ā€˜current yearā€™.

He wasnā€™t crying because the towers had just fallen.

Or because his mum had lost her battle to scurvy.

He was crying because he copped a few boos around the time it looked like we were going to lose by 100+ at home to the 13th-placed side.

Absolutely bonkers.

If Brisbane get up tomorrow, you watch them say it was this game that kick-started their season proper.

We copped a home loss to eventual premiers in:

2013 - Hawthorn
2016 - Bulldogs
2017 - Richmond
2018 - West Coast
2019 - Richmond
2021 - Melbourne
2022 - Geelong
2023 - Collingwood

We are the Port Adelaide Fluffers - come smack us on our home deck and you'll win the flag!

2) a Moneyball-style approach to trading players. Essentially no commitment to anyone, we will trade anyone if the opposing club is paying overs based on what the ā€˜data warehouseā€™ spits out.

We are talking about a team that is run by Jordan Hinkley you really think that we are doing something more than "Crippa Dad wants 2 key defenders and he wants one of them to be Esava."

We are talking about a team that is run by Jordan Hinkley you really think that we are doing something more than "Crippa Dad wants 2 key defenders and he wants one of them to be Esava."

Yeah, youā€™re definitely right. Jordan Hinkley is masterminding all of our list decisions. I take everything back. Good post

Yeah, youā€™re definitely right. Jordan Hinkley is masterminding all of our list decisions. I take everything back. Good post
They do a decent job I just don't think that Jordan Hinkley Moneyball analytics is the reason behind it. In the EPL Brighton and Tottenham seem to be at the forefront of using data to find the profile they need for transfer targets. They have been doing this for 5 years at best.

With the professionalism of AFL clubs I expect we may see something like it in 2040. I understand that the clubs have data analysis teams I always wonder what more they are using than the stuff coming out of Champion Data who in my opinion are just an extension of the Vic AFL cabal.

If Brisbane get up tomorrow, you watch them say it was this game that kick-started their season proper.

We copped a home loss to eventual premiers in:

2013 - Hawthorn
2016 - Bulldogs
2017 - Richmond
2018 - West Coast
2019 - Richmond
2021 - Melbourne
2022 - Geelong
2023 - Collingwood

We are the Port Adelaide Fluffers - come smack us on our home deck and you'll win the flag!

Thatā€™s our new slogan. Come smack us on our home deck, and you'll win the flag!

They do a decent job I just don't think that Jordan Hinkley Moneyball analytics is the reason behind it. In the EPL Brighton and Tottenham seem to be at the forefront of using data to find the profile they need for transfer targets. They have been doing this for 5 years at best.

With the professionalism of AFL clubs I expect we may see something like it in 2040. I understand that the clubs have data analysis teams I always wonder what more they are using than the stuff coming out of Champion Data who in my opinion are just an extension of the Vic AFL cabal.

The club explicitly explained that they have and use a massive data warehouse, with millions of data points, at the fan expo thing in 2018/19.

On a more serious note though, the club obviously committed to two things about ten years ago:

2) a Moneyball-style approach to trading players. Essentially no commitment to anyone, we will trade/release anyone if the opposing club is paying overs based on what the ā€˜data warehouseā€™ spits out.

Any sensible person would take a 50-55% win rate in the minor round, to develop an gameplan that actually holds up in September. It was good enough for the Clarkson and Scott teams after all. But we a run by guys who think they are misunderstood geniuses of their time.
Point 2 also neglects the ability to cause the list to peak at certain times to actually win a flag.

Sometimes you just have to take the hit and say "this might not be best for the list overall, but if it wins us a flag it's worth it" rather than always just playing what is in front of you.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back