Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Geelong were looking really good against Brisbane until Holmes went off, that game still could’ve gone either way. Both gws and Geelong would be kicking themselves, as Sydney in a gf was a home run.

I reckon if at least a couple of our players turned up against Sydney we would’ve won the prelim. We were awful across the board, gave away shit loads of frees in defensive 50 and yet still had our chances to win.

It was obvious Sydney were beatable but we just didn’t turn up for a prelim as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Travis Choke

If this galoot is allowed to coach in 2025, if you actually truly want change, don't renew your membership. Otherwise you are complicit in the destruction of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

What is the point of having great seats, that you don't want to lose, if you're condemned to watching rewinds of the Hinkley show.

On Pixel 8a using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have such a dilemma. Footy friends say renew as we have fun going out to dinner & at least we make the finals. I say, but I am part of the problem, I have to back my opinions with actions. And my head goes round & round.

Very true. Even more kudos to Fagan I guess, a bloke I thought was a dud coach until this finals series.

Hinkley does have some daddy pull power, but Port isn’t the single player in the state unlike those Brions.

Apparently more people play AFL footy in QLD than SA now too, read that on here somewhere I thought.

SA is just a sporting wasteland. Even on a per capita basis Tassie probably flogs SA at most things. Did we even send anyone to the Olympics?

SA is just a sporting wasteland. Even on a per capita basis Tassie probably flogs SA at most things. Did we even send anyone to the Olympics?
How could you forget Mr Chalmers

SA is a wasteland in general sadly. Pete Mal doing a pretty good job to give it more relevance.

Very true. Even more kudos to Fagan I guess, a bloke I thought was a dud coach until this finals series.

Hinkley does have some daddy pull power, but Port isn’t the single player in the state unlike those Brions.

Apparently more people play AFL footy in QLD than SA now too, read that on here somewhere I thought.
I was building a Brisbane Bears team in AFL23 and just went to fill the squad with QLD born players for the sake of it, and then topped it off with NT born players as that’s zoned to GC right now and the two states have been together in senior and junior rep footy previously. I’m 100% convinced they would beat SA in an AFL SoO game if it still existed. Pretty sure the Allies won the most recent U18 champs as well, and while there’s other states involved in that team, QLD would absolutely be the biggest contributing factor to it.
It begs the question, will we ever get our own SA academies? It’s unlikely, or impossible rather, and I doubt that the AFL will ever adapt to whenever QLD is considered enough of a talent factory. They’ll definitely remove the academies far too late.
Please note I’m not making excuses for Port, or bashing the QLD sides for something the AFL gave them, you’d be silly not to take them. I just think SA’s small population isn’t countered by the football pedigree it used to develop more than it does now. Something needs to be fixed. Does SA need a VIC style Talent League rather than having the SANFL clubs in charge of development? Would reestablishing the Port juniors (independent from the AFL club) be useful as it’d mean more players getting to play SANFL juniors instead of slipping through the cracks? Whatever the solution is, it’s not my job to come up with it, but someone should.

I was building a Brisbane Bears team in AFL23 and just went to fill the squad with QLD born players for the sake of it, and then topped it off with NT born players as that’s zoned to GC right now and the two states have been together in senior and junior rep footy previously. I’m 100% convinced they would beat SA in an AFL SoO game if it still existed. Pretty sure the Allies won the most recent U18 champs as well, and while there’s other states involved in that team, QLD would absolutely be the biggest contributing factor to it.
It begs the question, will we ever get our own SA academies? It’s unlikely, or impossible rather, and I doubt that the AFL will ever adapt to whenever QLD is considered enough of a talent factory. They’ll definitely remove the academies far too late.
Please note I’m not making excuses for Port, or bashing the QLD sides for something the AFL gave them, you’d be silly not to take them. I just think SA’s small population isn’t countered by the football pedigree it used to develop more than it does now. Something needs to be fixed. Does SA need a VIC style Talent League rather than having the SANFL clubs in charge of development? Would reestablishing the Port juniors (independent from the AFL club) be useful as it’d mean more players getting to play SANFL juniors instead of slipping through the cracks? Whatever the solution is, it’s not my job to come up with it, but someone should.
SA & WA clubs need first access to the elite few locals each year IMO, the comp is a farce so an even up is due.

The problem is SA & WA clubs are probably right where the Vic overlords want them there's only one heartland they care about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think every state should have academies or zones. The concept is sound, what isn’t particularly sound is having some states with academies and others without.

I love the fact Heeney plays for a NSW Club, for example. He would have got back to the Swans anyway through a trade so might as well set up a system for home grown talent to stay home should they wish.

Im maybe old school but I like the geographic tribalism and would hate to think the AFL would move towards a NBA/NFL type of soulless franchise league. This is another reason I think the father-son draft rule must stay.

Spare a thought for NSW though...

Would you rather have sent nobody to the Olympics? Or be responsible for sending Raygun to the Olympics?

Coach reviews finish Tuesday.

Make that what you will.
Morgan Freeman Quote GIF

SA & WA clubs need first access to the elite few locals each year IMO, the comp is a farce so an even up is due.

The problem is SA & WA clubs are probably right where the Vic overlords want them there's only one heartland they care about.
Honestly with how farcical the draft is, it’s almost at a point where you could feasibly go back to the old zoning system. The draft was supposed to counter how some clubs were screwed by their zones, and AFAIK the northern states can just put any player from their zone in their academy and boom, first dibs on them.
But yeah, at the very least, SA (and to a lesser but similar extent WA) clubs should get those same academy privileges. And all that means is we won’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back