Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide and South Australia is a great place to live, not sure why we find the need to shitcan it all the time. It’s got nothing to do with Ports failings.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Get all the crows and oppo SANFL fans out and it would be perfect.

Honestly with how farcical the draft is, it’s almost at a point where you could feasibly go back to the old zoning system. The draft was supposed to counter how some clubs were screwed by their zones, and AFAIK the northern states can just put any player from their zone in their academy and boom, first dibs on them.
But yeah, at the very least, SA (and to a lesser but similar extent WA) clubs should get those same academy privileges. And all that means is we won’t.
When the only really successful club on the premiership count in the two biggest heartlands outside of Victoria is West Coast you can certainly file it under things that make you go hmm.

They only care about their own and developing states.

I know Hinkley's recent finals record isn't great, but I think we should stick with him, as he's managed to take us to the top 4 in four of the last five years. Remember that Fagan had a poor finals record up until recently and Brisbane were widely ridiculed for being chokers, so I think if we can bring in a quality tall forward (Jack Lukosius) and a quality small forward (Jack Martin?) it'll go a long way to rectifying our issue of converting inside 50s into scores.

Another issue we have is a sub par coaching panel apart from Hinkley and Carr. We saw the difference a coaching panel can make when Richmond kept Hardwick in 2016 (despite everyone wanting him sacked, sound familiar?) and brought in a bunch of new assistant coaches. Richmond went from 13th in 2016 to premiers in 2017. I believe Geelong did similar in 2021 as well by bringing in new assistant coaches for Chris Scott, and they went from being finals fodder in 2021 to premiers in 2022 which included dominant displays of winning their preliminary final and grand final by a combined 25 goals.

We need to get new assistant coaches to help Hinkley and bring fresh ideas into the coaching box. Clear out the likes of Cornes, Goldsack, Hartlett and Lobbe but make sure we keep Carr. With a reinvigorated coaching panel and a couple of new recruits to boost our forward line, it'll give us every opportunity to take the next step from preliminary finalists to grand finalists and have a real crack at the premiership.

I was building a Brisbane Bears team in AFL23 and just went to fill the squad with QLD born players for the sake of it, and then topped it off with NT born players as that’s zoned to GC right now and the two states have been together in senior and junior rep footy previously. I’m 100% convinced they would beat SA in an AFL SoO game if it still existed. Pretty sure the Allies won the most recent U18 champs as well, and while there’s other states involved in that team, QLD would absolutely be the biggest contributing factor to it.
It begs the question, will we ever get our own SA academies? It’s unlikely, or impossible rather, and I doubt that the AFL will ever adapt to whenever QLD is considered enough of a talent factory. They’ll definitely remove the academies far too late.
Please note I’m not making excuses for Port, or bashing the QLD sides for something the AFL gave them, you’d be silly not to take them. I just think SA’s small population isn’t countered by the football pedigree it used to develop more than it does now. Something needs to be fixed. Does SA need a VIC style Talent League rather than having the SANFL clubs in charge of development? Would reestablishing the Port juniors (independent from the AFL club) be useful as it’d mean more players getting to play SANFL juniors instead of slipping through the cracks? Whatever the solution is, it’s not my job to come up with it, but someone should.
I believe we should enter 2 teams TAC u18's or whatever it is these days...

Those 2 teams let's call them east Adelaide and west Adelaide can have zones and pick the best kids to play.... They wouldn't have any affiliation with snafl clubs or anything. That way sa kids are playing against the best kids to help develop.

Sack Hinkley.

I know Hinkley's recent finals record isn't great, but I think we should stick with him, as he's managed to take us to the top 4 in four of the last five years. Remember that Fagan had a poor finals record up until recently and Brisbane were widely ridiculed for being chokers, so I think if we can bring in a quality tall forward (Jack Lukosius) and a quality small forward (Jack Martin?) it'll go a long way to rectifying our issue of converting inside 50s into scores.

Another issue we have is a sub par coaching panel apart from Hinkley and Carr. We saw the difference a coaching panel can make when Richmond kept Hardwick in 2016 (despite everyone wanting him sacked, sound familiar?) and brought in a bunch of new assistant coaches. Richmond went from 13th in 2016 to premiers in 2017. I believe Geelong did similar in 2021 as well by bringing in new assistant coaches for Chris Scott, and they went from being finals fodder in 2021 to premiers in 2022 which included dominant displays of winning their preliminary final and grand final by a combined 25 goals.

We need to get new assistant coaches to help Hinkley and bring fresh ideas into the coaching box. Clear out the likes of Cornes, Goldsack, Hartlett and Lobbe but make sure we keep Carr. With a reinvigorated coaching panel and a couple of new recruits to boost our forward line, it'll give us every opportunity to take the next step from preliminary finalists to grand finalists and have a real crack at the premiership.
Hinkley has failed regardless of what he’s had at his disposal both on and off field.

The common denominator in our repeated failure is Hinkley. It has been since he started as coach.

Thanks for your input Jordan.

5 of our last 6 finals have been losses against sides beaten on the previous encounter with an average turn around of almost 100 points on that previous encounter.

There is absolutely no reason for us to stick with him.

He should have been moved on years ago.

AWWW THE ISSUE IS HIS ASSISTANTS!!!! Please- if the issue is his assistants, please explain what happened when we’ve had Walsh, Richo, Voss (all became senior coaches in their own time) Schofield, Monty and Carr (look to be on the cusp of senior coach) in the past?
What do we need to surround him with?! Paul Roos as defence coach, Al Clarkson as assistant and Damien Hardwick as forward coach?!

The issue is Ken. And until that cancerous growth is removed from the club I will guarantee to everyone on here that we will never win a flag. If we do, I’ll get that roller door ‘king kenny’ Hinkley thing tattoo’d on my shaft.

I still hearing midweek, but our woke club will insist it's kens call, and im sure he will get a standing ovation at the b & f so it will be all about ken again. We will be rid of him regardless but I would have preferred a good old fashion embarrassing sacking for him.
It honestly doesn't bother me - just as long as he's gone, so we can move on with restoring the club to its former glory. It'll be a long process, but it needs to start now.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Yeah I’ve got a “fresh” idea. Sack Hinks. Best for everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who the **** are these people and how much is jordy/ken/davies paying you?

Shit is bizarre.

BLOODY WELL SAID

The coach review that mattered finished 20.9.

There's politics in negotiating a payout though and we are all hoping it's just that.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have everything crossed that it will come to fruition. I think he has til Tuesday to leave on his own or they sack him first thing Wednesday.

Hinkley has failed regardless of what he’s had at his disposal both on and off field.

The common denominator in our repeated failure is Hinkley. It has been since he started as coach.
Hinkley managed to get us within a kick of a grand final berth in 2014 and 2020, and both preliminary final losses were to triple premiership teams full of high draft picks. We haven't had many high draft picks over the years and got screwed by GC and GWS compromising the drafts when we bottomed out in 2011 and 2012, but with a little more luck going our way then we would have won the 2014 and 2020 preliminary finals and Hinkley could be a premiership coach.
5 of our last 6 finals have been losses against sides beaten on the previous encounter with an average turn around of almost 100 points on that previous encounter.

There is absolutely no reason for us to stick with him.

He should have been moved on years ago.
Chris Fagan's finals record was similar to that not too long ago, remember when he had a 1-5 record in finals despite Brisbane's high ladder finishes? There were plenty of Brisbane fans wanting Fagan sacked as well, but Brisbane stuck with him and now he's a premiership coach. Keep in mind that Fagan is five years older than Hinkley so there is still time for Hinkley to improve and learn new tricks.
AWWW THE ISSUE IS HIS ASSISTANTS!!!! Please- if the issue is his assistants, please explain what happened when we’ve had Walsh, Richo, Voss (all became senior coaches in their own time) Schofield, Monty and Carr (look to be on the cusp of senior coach) in the past?
What do we need to surround him with?! Paul Roos as defence coach, Al Clarkson as assistant and Damien Hardwick as forward coach?!

The issue is Ken. And until that cancerous growth is removed from the club I will guarantee to everyone on here that we will never win a flag. If we do, I’ll get that roller door ‘king kenny’ Hinkley thing tattoo’d on my shaft.
If Hinkley is the issue then how come we've finished top 4 in four of the last five years? I know people say it's because the list is great but you need to remember that Hinkley has built this list. Everyone on the list has been recruited and developed under Hinkley's tutelage except for Travis Boak.

A fair bit of what you are saying is reasonable, except for the bit about keeping Hinkley!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back