Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

There is every chance we go backwards under a new coach, look at Adelaide they sacked Pyke two years after he took them to a grand final and Nicks hasn't even taken them into the top 8 despite being their coach for half a decade now. Unlike the Crows we can't afford to spend a lengthy amount of time in the lower rungs of the ladder. I remember when we missed finals for five years straight from 2008-2012 and how bad our crowds and finances became as a result.
Quite a different team that Nicks inherited to the team that made the granny in 17.

Hinkley has gone on 7 years too long, he will never win a prelim.

Honestly with how farcical the draft is, it’s almost at a point where you could feasibly go back to the old zoning system. The draft was supposed to counter how some clubs were screwed by their zones, and AFAIK the northern states can just put any player from their zone in their academy and boom, first dibs on them.
But yeah, at the very least, SA (and to a lesser but similar extent WA) clubs should get those same academy privileges. And all that means is we won’t.
I know this topic of conversation isn’t relevant to the thread, but I had to mention something else. Watching footy furnace and they mentioned Brisbane have an academy player named Sam Marshall, who plays for the Sandringham Dragons in the Talent League.
What. The. ****.
Kid’s playing in Victoria in a comp that Brisbane’s academy literally play in! I’m not aware of the circumstances that lead to him being in Brisbane’s academy and playing for Sandy. I’m guessing he’s moved from Queensland to Victoria at some point, but it feels like yet another example of the academy system being absolutely ridiculous.
Also never forget, that two year patch where clubs couldn’t match academy bids inside the top 40 picks saw Melbourne miss out on Mac Andrew to a club that is beginning to benefit so much from their academy that they can toss out draft picks like they’re worth nothing. **** this tinpot league.

Hinkley talks like Justin Koschitzke when he passed out on national TV, but all the time.

Loses the next Showdown as part of the 11-4 to 12-10 slide at the tail-end of 2018.

Loses to rank underdogs St Kilda at home the very next week.

Belted by Geelong to the tune of 84 points (a Qualifying Final at Adelaide Oval) in our next meeting.
Is Davies bumming Hinkley?

Mate, no one disputes he can coach. I think everyone here agrees that he’s a relatively ‘good’ coach. He has a game plan than stacks up well against those clubs who don’t have the skills to beat it. It’s why he has such a good record against clubs down the bottom of the table. But he just doesn’t have the IQ or footy nous or spark to figure out the next step. He’s a coach who I think all of us agree was a good selection when we got him to steer us back on track. I think all of us here agree that he did some great work up until 2017. When we should have split there and he could have gone and coached another team that was struggling.
But what he isn’t, is an innovator like Mitchell or Clarkson before him. He is not the coach we need right now when we are going full tilt for a premiership. Because he can’t deliver one. I don’t know how hard it is to understand.
I remember hearing similar things about Hardwick when he had coached for seven years and had zero finals wins to show for it. A good coach who lacks the tactical nous to take the next step. Fagan was also widely criticised for his lack of tactical nous while being acknowledged as being a good but not great coach. I just don't want us throwing the baby out with the bathwater as we have a good list that needs a few holes plugged, look at North Melbourne they threw the baby out with the bathwater a few years ago and have been a raging bin fire ever since.
I’d rather go backwards with a new coach with the ability to grow into the role and sculpt a new playing style with this team than continue to watch the absolute dross that is our forward line and continual failure in finals. This is the thing, we WONT mind a flag under Ken. We MIGHT under another coach. I know what I would choose. I want to enjoy the footy again. It’s so stale under Ken now.
It's interesting reading the Sydney board and how the criticisms directed at Longmire are similar to those directed at Hinkley by our fans. Longmire has lost four grand finals in a row while Hinkley has lost four preliminary finals in a row so there is a similarity there. That and the fact both Longmire and Hinkley have great win rates in the home and away season. For what it's worth I don't think either of them should be sacked, but as far as Hinkley goes he deserves to coach out the last year of his contract. When was the last time a coach was sacked after making a preliminary final? It just doesn't happen.

I’m very confident we won’t go backwards under Carr especially if we put some good people around him.

Our list has holes but it is very well positioned. Most of our key drivers are just hitting their prime years.

Scaremongering that the wheels are going to fall off if old mate finally leaves is ridiculous.

But like others have said, even if we do go backwards at least we’ve tried something different after 12 years of doing the same thing to no avail.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Chris Fagan's finals record was similar to that not too long ago, remember when he had a 1-5 record in finals despite Brisbane's high ladder finishes? There were plenty of Brisbane fans wanting Fagan sacked as well, but Brisbane stuck with him and now he's a premiership coach. Keep in mind that Fagan is five years older than Hinkley so there is still time for Hinkley to improve and learn new tricks.
Fagan's been coaching 4 years less than Hinkley.

In that time Fagan has got Brisbane into the finals 6 years straight, something Hinkley has not done. He got Brisbane into a GF that was lost by a kick, something Hinkley has not done and has now coached a flag, something Hinkley has not done.

Seriously, how many more chances do you expect Hinkley to get and how is using a coach as an example who is far more successful in far less a period of time supposed to justify us sticking by Ken for even longer?

Fun Ride GIF by PortAventuraWorld

My emotions so much ATM... Hinkley is gone!! Wait... Maybe he will still be here.... Nah this time he is gone.... Dam I thought that the last few years... Maybe this year is different!... Dam it Koch and co still in charge 😔... But maybe tredders is pulling strings!!... But tredders is only one man...

Put me out of misery.

I remember hearing similar things about Hardwick when he had coached for seven years and had zero finals wins to show for it. A good coach who lacks the tactical nous to take the next step. Fagan was also widely criticised for his lack of tactical nous while being acknowledged as being a good but not great coach. I just don't want us throwing the baby out with the bathwater as we have a good list that needs a few holes plugged, look at North Melbourne they threw the baby out with the bathwater a few years ago and have been a raging bin fire ever since.

It's interesting reading the Sydney board and how the criticisms directed at Longmire are similar to those directed at Hinkley by our fans. Longmire has lost four grand finals in a row while Hinkley has lost four preliminary finals in a row so there is a similarity there. That and the fact both Longmire and Hinkley have great win rates in the home and away season. For what it's worth I don't think either of them should be sacked, but as far as Hinkley goes he deserves to coach out the last year of his contract. When was the last time a coach was sacked after making a preliminary final? It just doesn't happen.
You are comparing him to men that cracked the code well before year 12 in tenure. Now bugger off.

oh boy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwick and Fagan (and Bomber Thompson) comparisons are absolutely irrelevant.

They all flagged up in their eighth year, having stood on the precipice of oblivion if they failed.

Hinkley had that same chance in 2020 and blew it, and we’ve gotten further and further away since.

I agree mate, it’s one of the best flags in AFL history. Top 5 easily with their injuries, the poor start to the season and the finals wins over GWS and Cats away.

Despite that, back on theme, Hinkley has underachieved and must be sacked. He’s not going to do a Fagan.
He's not doing a Longmire either, and yet Horse is the coach under pressure in the media, rather than Stinkley.

This is definitely a troll account. No way you specifically made an account, came here straightaway, have gone nowhere else, and went in to bat for Kenny. You wouldn’t have even read any of this thread either.

This is definitely a troll account. No way you specifically made an account, came here straight, have gone nowhere else, and went in to bat for Kenny. You wouldn’t have even read any of this thread either.
Would of read the thread on his main account... Then went... Durp you know what would be funny... If I make a fake account and stuck up for stinkley durp 😐 about 6 years to late to try and be funny.

The one sane voice in the media does recreation drugs? I wonder what all the other ****ers are on... Cos they can't be clean with the it's not Hinkley's fault it's the squad blah blah...
The guy who isnt anyone's bitch and is not employed by cardone, is far more likely to tell the truth funnily enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back