Safeway....

Remove this Banner Ad

nick_savo

Premiership Player
Nov 8, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
I applied for a job at safeway and got an e-mail back saying I am invited to a "Group Assesment"

Does anyone work at safeway and have been through the process?

Cheers
nick_savo

Yeh i went for a group interview for Safeway a while back for nightfill didn't get it though.

You get paired up with someone there and then you will have to introduce them to the group, and then you will do a test and a group activity relating to a real life scenario, basically just relax and make sure you give the answers you think they want to hear.

My memories pretty hazy but it was something like its peakhour time and your only availibile checkout worker is not trained enough or something like that and then they give you three or four options of what solution you would choose.

Yeh i went for a group interview for Safeway a while back for nightfill didn't get it though.

You get paired up with someone there and then you will have to introduce them to the group, and then you will do a test and a group activity relating to a real life scenario, basically just relax and make sure you give the answers you think they want to hear.
Spot on. Act the complete opposite of how you would normally react and pretend like the job is the greatest ****ing thing you have ever come across (even though you know it will all turn to shit in a week and a half). And smile.

My memories pretty hazy but it was something like its peakhour time and your only availibile checkout worker is not trained enough or something like that and then they give you three or four options of what solution you would choose.
Any chance you can remeber what you said or the options?

nick savo, with the group assesment you like was said previously introduce yourself, is it the all day assesment thing or what because i remember you get a booklet watch video's etc and answer question's also what department are you going for?

from memory they give you scenarios where things are goign wrong eg. one big register open, short line at express fully staffed, bottle of water spilt on the floor at front end and a comlpaining customer. You in a group sort out how you are going to priorotise the problems. Piece of cake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep, in that case you would attend to the spill whilst sending someone from express out onto a big register possibly send someone else to clean the spill whilst you deal with the complaining customer, apologising to anyone who was waiting along the way

From memory, firstly you get put into groups around tables. You partner up with the person next to you and you have a moment to talk with them about yourself. Then you have to introduce your partner to the rest of the candidates and interviewers. You then get group excercises which have been summarised pretty well in previous posts. But dont go in there with a set scenario as there a quite a few and each group is different. Make sure you put input in group discussions and be confident. Finally you have to do a numbers test, pretty much copying out barcode numbers. Very easy. Just be confident, have input and you should get the job.

I have now been working at safeway for almost a year.

you can write notes down but try not to read directly off them for the entire time. And make eye contact with the interviewers aswell.

Finally you have to do a numbers test, pretty much copying out barcode numbers. Very easy. Just be confident, have input and you should get the job.

Those kind of tests make you feel incredibly dyslexic. I have done similar sorts of things before. Had a spelling test for an office job where they gave 30 or so words to spell like definitely, separability etc. where it is so bloody easy to slot an e in instead of an i or a. That's what the auto correct feature of word is for ffs! Yes, I know why they do it before anyone starts, it's just a pain in the arse.

Hey good luck nick_savo.

It seems that Safeway has very high standards which probably means that they are looking for staff with potential to move up the ranks into management. A company with career pathway is great.

They must need good literacy (spelling etc) for future management - reporting to head office etc.

Obviously people skills are very important.

I know a lot of the cashiers at my local Coles are uni students - they chat to each other about their assignments etc.

From memory, firstly you get put into groups around tables. You partner up with the person next to you and you have a moment to talk with them about yourself. Then you have to introduce your partner to the rest of the candidates and interviewers. You then get group excercises which have been summarised pretty well in previous posts. But dont go in there with a set scenario as there a quite a few and each group is different. Make sure you put input in group discussions and be confident. Finally you have to do a numbers test, pretty much copying out barcode numbers. Very easy. Just be confident, have input and you should get the job.

I have now been working at safeway for almost a year.
Spot on. I work at Coles but interviewed for Safeway at the same time.

Wiuth the oither person you get a coloured sheet of paper (mine was purple) to write stuff down on.

We had to find out their name, previous jobs, hobbies, what job they applied for and why they want to work for safeway (because it is a business with an excellent reputation which offers great career oppurtunities).

Im currently going for a job with safeway aswell. I had my Group Assesment last week, and i got a call from the ladie that was doing it and now i've got an interveiw with her and the Store Manager next week. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Safeway....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back