Autopsy Saints kick the Bombers butts far into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's frustrating because you can see the basics are there. That ability to move up to a 30 possession 75%- 80% game time mid is not quite there still in his mid 20s. You'd persist but if you were a gambler you'd be thinking that his days as a full time footballer start to diminish over the next few years as younger fitter guys push him out of the AFL side. I still hope that his attitude, fitness and commitment kick in and he becomes the player we hoped he would be but he's running out of time.

For years people have wanted to see him put on size. I just want to see him build his tank. Hope he has a big preseason

I think that's OTT to be honest. I think they are both good to very good players but neither are absolute stars yet. The next 20% is probably attitude that takes them from good coasters to stars. I think Max is tracking very similar to Joe Daniher. He's probably not the perfect tall KPF but he could be a very good player if we work out how to use him well. There is still a good chance that he meets early expectation too.

I see the similarities, but I reckon Daniher is unfairly maligned to some degree. He cops a bit of flak does Joe, but you take out 3 injury riddled years in the middle of his career and he has been very good.

I think the Kings are still a fair way of Daniher's output, but certainly there is time. Joe kicked 65 goals in just year 5, whilst averaging 15+ touches a game. Even this year, Joe averages 16+ possessions and almost 7 marks a game. It's more than double Ben King for example, and their goal tally is similar.

I rate Max higher than Ben, but both to them need to give the ball signicanlty more to justify their reputations.

Ahh - another fantastic outcome from the game.

A reminder to go back and listen to MIA'S Paper Planes. What a cracker of a tune.

Cracker? Well I reckon you could wake up a junkie and get a better vocal take than the aptly named MIA, but it sits the Bombers quite well to be fair

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombers have been a bit like us for the last 5+ years, they always win trade week looking for the quick bounce but ironically all it does it set you back further. They’ve gone one better than us recently though, they butchered three top 10 picks in a row. Well done to them. Brad Scott is the very definition of average coach so good luck with that.

Darcy Wilson has picked up his form after a little slump. I know most have him locked to the wing for the rest of his career but I really hope we have our sights set higher than that. The wing is pretty much just a role playing role these days, surely we can get him in the gym and put him in the middle in a few years or even as a match winning HF type. His tools are too good to waste running up and down a wing all day. His attack on the ball probably still isn’t 100% but that can surely be developed. Speed, power off the mark, kicking, he’s got it all.

Bombers have been a bit like us for the last 5+ years, they always win trade week looking for the quick bounce but ironically all it does it set you back further. They’ve gone one better than us recently though, they butchered three top 10 picks in a row. Well done to them. Brad Scott is the very definition of average coach so good luck with that.

Darcy Wilson has picked up his form after a little slump. I know most have him locked to the wing for the rest of his career but I really hope we have our sights set higher than that. The wing is pretty much just a role playing role these days, surely we can get him in the gym and put him in the middle in a few years or even as a match winning HF type. His tools are too good to waste running up and down a wing all day. His attack on the ball probably still isn’t 100% but that can surely be developed. Speed, power off the mark, kicking, he’s got it all.
they see him as a long term midfielder from what I hear

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Am still shocked by how easy this one was and how quickly Essendon were willing to give up when the game was on the line. I fully expected to win but did not expect to completely demolish them in every aspect of the game when they had everything to play for.

That's Scott's narrative. Players weren't playing hard enough. I guess people believe it because ...Saints.
The truth is that we beat them. Outcoached, outplayed.
Good luck Brad, that excuse will only fly very rarely.

I think Scott is alright as a coach but has never had the tools. Coaches are hamstrung by their lists and they have tried to make the rebuild quicker by taking short cuts. Exactly the same as we did for years. Like us they should have kept drafting hard instead of going for the quick fix all the time. They're getting closer but until their drafting improves they'll keep stalling.

I think Scott is alright as a coach but has never had the tools. Coaches are hamstrung by their lists and they have tried to make the rebuild quicker by taking short cuts. Exactly the same as we did for years. Like us they should have kept drafting hard instead of going for the quick fix all the time. They're getting closer but until their drafting improves they'll keep stalling.
I believe Essendon have more first round picks and maybe top 10 picks than any club. Their biggest issue like us has been a combination of who they picked but more likely their development.

While they topped up atleast they did it via free agency and retained picks. Having said that they basically grabbed whoever was available and overplayed them vs being more targeted.

I believe Essendon have more first round picks and maybe top 10 picks than any club. Their biggest issue like us has been a combination of who they picked but more likely their development.

While they topped up atleast they did it via free agency and retained picks. Having said that they basically grabbed whoever was available and overplayed them vs being more targeted.

Yeah, they paid up big for high profile glamour rather than what the Hawks and Pies did with their low profile high output pick ups. D'Ambrosio looked great a few years back and then got pushed out of the side. Early on you could see he was worth persisting with.

We nearly did it with Sharman too. Just bad list management. Their best pick ups are probably Nick Martin, Ridley, Durham and Redman. They seem to have a habit of players leaving too. They are obviously a pretty shit environment.

Blowing Tsitas, Hobbs, even Perkins, Cox, Laverde, Reid etc hasn't helped. All high picks who haven't really ended up at the top level. Even Draper seems rot have stalled but then getting Goldstein doesn't help.

Scott has been at Essendon for nearly two years and they still don't look like they have ever heard the term "team defence".

Scott has been at Essendon for nearly two years and they still don't look like they have ever heard the term "team defence".

6SPnfWy.gif

11 years as a coach, one top 6 finish for defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Saints kick the Bombers butts far into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back