Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Lions clearly have a major salary cap issue for 2011. The big question is Why? I can only assume that it is a combination of factors, i.e. 1) needing to pay above the market rate to keep players in Brisbane 2) the Fev factor, 3) poor list management...
One can only assume that if we finished 13th then we are well and truly paying more than the going rate for too many underperforming or injury prone players.
We also have a couple of vets on the list and should be enjoying the benefit of only 50% of their salaries counting. I assume that this is Black & Power in 2011.
When does Brown qualify as a veteren?
How much over are we, and how many of our highly paid players need to go to solve the problem.

Well if the rumours are correct you are looking at almost 2 millions going on our 2 key forwards... Poor management.

This would suggest that once Fev came on board Bradshaw was never going to fit in the salary cap and he had to go for this reason above all others!:eek:

252713-graeme-allan.jpg

Whether it was incompetence or sabotage... we'll probably never know.

As for exact figures, there is no way anyone here would have the faintest idea.

252713-graeme-allan.jpg

Whether it was incompetence or sabotage... we'll probably never know.

As for exact figures, there is no way anyone here would have the faintest idea.

No wonder - with those busy eyebrows hanging over his eyes he couldn't see the figures he was writing down in the contracts. GWS would want to get the clippers to those.

I thought our present salary cap issues have occurred due to the unusual long term injuries to most of our key players this year....Players asked to take a pay cut to accommodate extra payments to new players..

The 2010 club cap is under 8 Million ($7,962,500 per club) If we are paying players extra then we are more likely operating at 95%+ of the $8 mil...not at 92.5%...Then at 95% there is about $400K to divvy up for payments to players making senior game appearances.. and there were a few this season.above what would have beenbudgeted for ...then who knows what promises of repayment to players that took pay cuts from last year under Gubby's never never scheme...

Next season the cap rises to ($8,225,000 per club) operating at our likely 95% needs to include back ended contracts and leaves $411K to juggle extra payments for players making senior appearances, bonus incentives and repaying those that have taken payment cuts..this year...Something has to give

Enter the Doc...hopefully he'll sort this out and get our operating % down closer to 92.5% with Brennan & Risca moving on has given some relief...

It's the minimum amount of cap payable as well.

I'm not sure if 92.5% as a "maximum amount" applies any longer - I had a feeling the rules changed a couple of years ago but unfortunately I can't find a reference to that any more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back