Strategy Salary Dumping

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 7, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
"Geelong was the first club to exploit the newly-introduced salary dumping, taking pick No.7 and Jack Bowes, as well as his $1.6 million contract, off Gold Coast’s hands for just a future third-round pick".

Therefore if 1.6M or (800K over 2 years realistically for the GC contract but Geelong did 400K over 4) = Pick 7 (I get the 3rd rounder but 3rd rounders are worth not much).

If that formula is correct, if a club was willing (Carlton) or was in contending mode (Collingwood/Port), could we buy their draft picks and front end our inevitable refresh/rebuild?

If the Dusty/Lynch contracts are almost $2M per annum between them then in theory you have a war chest over 4 years of buying four first round picks. Would I be correct here in saying the market might allow us to dump salary of $2M per season and get on the back of the envelope four picks in the top 12?

As I said in other threads, and I said this before the Dusty to GC rumour, the club is seriously looking at the above. Especially before Tassie comes in. What I want to confirm is the mathematical possibility of what we can land.

5k26m5.gif

"Geelong was the first club to exploit the newly-introduced salary dumping, taking pick No.7 and Jack Bowes, as well as his $1.6 million contract, off Gold Coast’s hands for just a future third-round pick".

Therefore if 1.6M or (800K over 2 years realistically for the GC contract but Geelong did 400K over 4) = Pick 7 (I get the 3rd rounder but 3rd rounders are worth not much).

If that formula is correct, if a club was willing (Carlton) or was in contending mode (Collingwood/Port), could we buy their draft picks and front end our inevitable refresh/rebuild?

If the Dusty/Lynch contracts are almost $2M per annum between them then in theory you have a war chest over 4 years of buying four first round picks. Would I be correct here in saying the market might allow us to dump salary of $2M per season and get on the back of the envelope four picks in the top 12?

As I said in other threads, and I said this before the Dusty to GC rumour, the club is seriously looking at the above. Especially before Tassie comes in. What I want to confirm is the mathematical possibility of what we can land.
Anybody that thinks that Bowes gave up his 2 year $1.6 million contract for a 4 year $400k contract is in La La Land
That may be whats on the books but Bowes will get more in other ways with their "Farms'

Just about every Geelong player seems to breed cattle and able to sell them for double anybody else that is in that business
Carlton had brown paper bags Geelong have Cattle cartel

Anybody that thinks that Bowes gave up his 2 year $1.6 million contract for a 4 year $400k contract is in La La Land
That may be whats on the books but Bowes will get more in other ways with their "Farms'

Just about every Geelong player seems to breed cattle and able to sell them for double anybody else that is in that business
No wonder Jeremy Cameron went straight home after the granny to be with his cows. That's where all his money is

Amazing the number of squeezed out Richmond players at other clubs but don’t see that happening at Geelong.

Gold Coast also did it the previous year with Brodie going to Fremantle.

It was a salary dump of about two thirds plus a swap of picks including 19.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Cow he took the photo with the premiership medal around its neck holds the record now for the price it sold for.
1686726108271.jpeg.jpg

Every Cow they sell comes with a Gary Ablett signature
He hung the premiership medal round its neck and didn't even get the udders in the pic.

Have you got this backwards or am I misunderstanding your point..?

Gold Coast gave Geelong pick 7 to take Bowes and his salary off them. To Gold Coast, Bowes was not worth the money, they had to get it off their books to afford guys like Anderson etc, so they enticed Geelong with a juicy draft pick.

If we gave away Dusty and/or Lynch and thus their big salaries, we’d be giving away draft picks too, not receiving them.

Or, are you perhaps suggesting we clear out Dusty and Lynch to teams that are contending, get the cap space as a result of them leaving, then use that cap space to buy draft picks?

Fair, but I don’t think it’ll work, I don’t know that this Bowes thing will be that common. The teams with the best picks probably won’t be in a position, that often, where they have a great pick but also a tight cap.

Also who says we’re not still contending? We’ve had a pretty shit year of luck but we might still make finals with Hopper and Lynch to return.

But if not this year, if things go a bit better with injury then in 2024 our 22 loses only Cotchin and Riewoldt but adds Hopper and Lynch, and if we nail the off-season, add a quality trade/free agent or two, another preseason into a few kids, we could shoot right back to the top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Salary Dumping

Remove this Banner Ad

Back