News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

If we're going to pretend Hayes doesn't exist (which we are, since they won't even ruck him in the sanfl), our ruck stocks are absolutely diabolical.

Lycett is cooked and probably the worst first choice ruck in the comp.
Dante is a kid and may or may not be good, but needs several years.
Teakle is a WAFL player and more of a forward than ruck.
Dixon is 32 and can't play 2 positions at once.
Finlayson is a stop gap only and gets killed against proper rucks.
Aliir is too small and won't ruck anyway.
Marshall too small and skinny.

Yeah at years end a new coach comes In what will the ruck department look like?

They’ll likely say goodbye to lycett, or at least should. Hayes will likely be delisted or asked to be let go.

We will be left with teakle and Dante.

I’ve said before that leaves us with the worst ruck unit we’ve ever had, possibly the worst ruck unit in the history of the game.

Really, they would have to hold onto lycett or trade another senior ruck in, both of which are horrible options.

We’ve gone from massive ruck stocks to diabolical in the blink of an eye.

Hinkley shouldn’t just be sacked, he should be Ned stark’d out the front of Alberton

Yeah at years end a new coach comes In what will the ruck department look like?

They’ll likely say goodbye to lycett, or at least should. Hayes will likely be delisted or asked to be let go.

We will be left with teakle and Dante.

I’ve said before that leaves us with the worst ruck unit we’ve ever had, possibly the worst ruck unit in the history of the game.

Really, they would have to hold onto lycett or trade another senior ruck in, both of which are horrible options.

We’ve gone from massive ruck stocks to diabolical in the blink of an eye.

Hinkley shouldn’t just be sacked, he should be Ned stark’d out the front of Alberton
I guess there's the possibility the new coach sees something in Hayes and he hangs around.

I guess there's the possibility the new coach sees something in Hayes and he hangs around.

Maybe, but there’s several problems too.

Hayes may want to see the back of this place and who could blame him

We’ve burnt the best time he should have been developing. He won the bnf as a ruck, and since then we’ve ****ed him around and played him as a forward.

I’ve got no doubt we’ve stunted his development and a new coach coming In probably looks at his last year and says no thanks.

If we're going to pretend Hayes doesn't exist (which we are, since they won't even ruck him in the sanfl), our ruck stocks are absolutely diabolical.

You forgot SPP and Jones…

We can wheel out Lobbe in the mid season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in summary your saying we are lucky he slid for us to get him.
He’s the most dominant ruck in the sanfl and he has beaten or matched it with seasoned AFL rucks.
But he’s not worth a third round pick for any AFL club.
So to sum up he’s very good but no club wants him unless they get him for nothing.
Interesting thoughts maybe that’s why he’s still at Port I guess being on a AFL list for basic money even if not playing is better than a country footy contract.

If he has played 6 afl games, yeah he's worth **** all. Lipinski was worth **** all as well because he wasn't getting a game. The idea that he was shopped around for free last year and noone wanted him is laughable.

Please don't remind me. Worst ruck I've even seen. Made Sticks Dolan look like peak Jim Stynes in his Brownlow year.
PowerLil, Brent Renouf says "Hi"
mvaMUiJO.jpg

If he has played 6 afl games, yeah he's worth * all. Lipinski was worth * all as well because he wasn't getting a game. The idea that he was shopped around for free last year and noone wanted him is laughable.
I don’t believe he was shopped around for free but no clubs would give anything decent up for him.
Anyway this will all change at years end when he’s out of contract.

Lycett imo jumps a bit early to command the space of drop of the ball at centre bounces. He prob uses this technique as has average vertical jump. Will be interested in hayes vertical jump timing. He has a long reach and only need hand length over other ruck for a good tap opportunity.

Please don't remind me. Worst ruck I've even seen. Made Sticks Dolan look like peak Jim Stynes in his Brownlow year.
I can still recall the rock lobster looking like an absolute B grader in a sanfl game for westies against the blue baggers at Unley and only a week later due to being the only `ruckman' still standing at Alberton being pulled from literal obscurity to play in the AFL.

I don’t believe he was shopped around for free but no clubs would give anything decent up for him.
Anyway this will all change at years end when he’s out of contract.

I don't see what your problem is. The inference you and other's have made is that he is poo because no one wants him. I am saying I don't believe for a minute there aren't multiple teams that would have taken him for a token pick 60 or something of that nature. If we won't play him, are shopping him, and then asking for 35-40, those clubs would be thinking that they can use their pick 35-40, and get him as a DFA this year.

I don't see what your problem is. The inference you and other's have made is that he is poo because no one wants him. I am saying I don't believe for a minute there aren't multiple teams that would have taken him for a token pick 60 or something of that nature. If we won't play him, are shopping him, and then asking for 35-40, those clubs would be thinking that they can use their pick 35-40, and get him as a DFA this year.
I have no problem with Hayes there is obviously a problem with him at Port as he can’t crack into a team that is shot for Ruckman.
Time will tell if the reason he can’t make it is because he’s not good enough or there is a problem between him and the club (coach).
Interesting to see what happens at years end for both him and the coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back