Toast Sam Menegola

Who should start in the centre bounce alongside Dangerwood?

• Menegola

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Horlin-Smith

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Duncan

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • S. Selwood

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Cockatoo

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Probably not the best time for a Toast thread after a loss like that vs the Suns.
...But I'm doing one anyway :D

I know Sam was a mature age pick-up, but still his first 12 games have been fantastic.

Stats from his 12 games:
- 26 touches, 14 contested (65.4% efficiency), 5 clearances, 5 tackles from 67% TOG.
- 19 touches, 10 contested (73.7% efficiency), 3 clearances, 6 tackles, 1 goal from 76% TOG.
- 26 touches, 8 contested (73.1% efficiency), 2 clearances, 3 tackles, 1 goal from 80% TOG.
- 21 touches, 8 contested (85.7% efficiency), 2 clearances, 1 tackle, 2 goals from 65% TOG.
- 33 touches, 15 contested (75.8% efficiency), 8 clearances, 4 tackles from 71% TOG.
- 27 touches, 9 contested (70.4% efficiency), 2 clearances, 1 tackle, 3 goals from 82% TOG.
- 23 touches, 11 contested (73.9% efficiency), 1 clearance, 4 tackles from 60% TOG.
- 17 touches, 8 contested (52.9% efficiency), 1 clearance, 6 tackles from 67% TOG.
- 24 touches, 9 contested (66.7% efficiency), 4 clearances, 9 tackles from 68% TOG.
- 31 touches, 6 contested (87.1% efficiency), 3 clearances, 10 tackles, 1 goal from 77% TOG.
- 22 touches, 8 contested (72.7% efficiency), 4 clearances, 7 tackles from 70% TOG.
- 22 touches, 9 contested (59.1% efficiency), 1 clearance, 5 tackles, 3 goals from 60% TOG.

Should never have been dropped in the first place.
Also 2 of his kicks tonight hit the post so he was very close to a bag of 5 goals which is fantastic for a midfielder.
Yeah at times he can work on his efficiency for sure, but in terms of his intent he never stops trying going by his disposal count and tackle count alongside how much TOG he has.
For mine Menegola should be the one lining up in the centre bounce alongside Dangerwood.

Agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

Oh and when scott says after the game they need to look at his TOG because they would have been better off with him on 80 % gametime well of course sherlock. Maybe pick the team on form and play someone who is actually a capable midfielder in there instead of blicavs might help.

Agree wholeheartedly with the OP.

Oh and when scott says after the game they need to look at his TOG because they would have been better off with him on 80 % gametime well of course sherlock. Maybe pick the team on form and play someone who is actually a capable midfielder in there instead of blicavs might help.
But Blicavs won a B&F and was 6th last year and gets coaches' votes!

Probably not the best time for a Toast thread after a loss like that vs the Suns.

I know Sam was a mature age pick-up, but still his first 12 games have been fantastic.

Stats from his 12 games:
- 26 touches, 14 contested (65.4% efficiency), 5 clearances, 5 tackles from 67% TOG.
- 19 touches, 10 contested (73.7% efficiency), 3 clearances, 6 tackles, 1 goal from 76% TOG.
- 26 touches, 8 contested (73.1% efficiency), 2 clearances, 3 tackles, 1 goal from 80% TOG.
- 21 touches, 8 contested (85.7% efficiency), 2 clearances, 1 tackle, 2 goals from 65% TOG.
- 33 touches, 15 contested (75.8% efficiency), 8 clearances, 4 tackles from 71% TOG.
- 27 touches, 9 contested (70.4% efficiency), 2 clearances, 1 tackle, 3 goals from 82% TOG.
- 23 touches, 11 contested (73.9% efficiency), 1 clearance, 4 tackles from 60% TOG.
- 17 touches, 8 contested (52.9% efficiency), 1 clearance, 6 tackles from 67% TOG.
- 24 touches, 9 contested (66.7% efficiency), 4 clearances, 9 tackles from 68% TOG.
- 31 touches, 6 contested (87.1% efficiency), 3 clearances, 10 tackles, 1 goal from 77% TOG.
- 22 touches, 8 contested (72.7% efficiency), 4 clearances, 7 tackles from 70% TOG.
- 22 touches, 9 contested (59.1% efficiency), 1 clearance, 5 tackles, 3 goals from 60% TOG.

Also 2 of his kicks tonight hit the post so he was very close to a bag of 5 goals which is fantastic for a midfielder.
Yeah at times he can work on his efficiency for sure, but in terms of his intent he never stops trying going by his disposal count and tackle count alongside how much TOG he has.
For mine Menegola should be the one lining up in the centre bounce alongside Dangerwood.
IMO has to play every week with the 2 Selwoods, Dangerfield and Duncan as our core midfield - then they can fill in the gaps with the rest.

IMO has to play every week with the 2 Selwoods, Dangerfield and Duncan as our core midfield - then they can fill in the gaps with the rest.

Really wanna see Cocky in that squad, hes an animal around the contest when he really wants it. I feel he's being wasted as a flanker and could really drive some scoring if he was in the guts more.

But as of now with no small forwards, we really have no choice but to restrict Cocky.

I don't mind Lang either, i think he makes some pretty clever decisions. He has a few blunders here and there but definitely a few more in the crosshairs before him.

Only a few weeks ago I was having arguments with people who kept saying GHS was better than Menegola, he's not and he never will be.

I think someone laughed at me, when I said we didn't need Barlow (now at GCFC) when we already have someone just as good, in Menegola... I still stand by that comment, he is not far off that level as a midfielder, not the best in the league, but a good B-grader. You can win flags with a lot of good B-graders in the squad, so he should be starting 22 IMO every week.

I think someone laughed at me, when I said we didn't need Barlow (now at GCFC) when we already have someone just as good, in Menegola... I still stand by that comment, he is not far off that level as a midfielder, not the best in the league, but a good B-grader. You can win flags with a lot of good B-graders in the squad, so he should be starting 22 IMO every week.
Well, we won't be winning a flag any time soon.

I was fuming that he was dropped after last week's performance, and the one positive I draw from this week is that at least he seems to have cemented himself in the team. Now please play him in the middle and please play the guy, who has always been renowned for his amazing fitness, on the field for more than 60% of the game.

Why the hell was the guy who was our leading goal scorer tonight spending 40% of the game on the bench? I mean, he was unlucky not to kick 5 goals, and we're just leaving him on the bench....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are down in form, but tbh, this season its wide open, anything can happen if our bottom 6 out-perform on any day. Having said that, the Dogs and GWS look like the teams to beat.

The team just isn't very good. It's poorly coached, and there's just no depth of quality to the side. When you have guys like Lang, Murdoch, Motlop, Black, Stanley, Smith, Blicavs, Horlin-Smith, Stewart, and Ruggles, plus cooked a cooked Lonergan and Taylor, you won't be winning a flag. That's not a premiership-caliber list. This is what happens when you go the route of topping up rather than rebuilding. It's impossible to get a nice spread of talent; you just wind up with a few top players and then a slew of C-graders.

I was fuming that he was dropped after last week's performance, and the one positive I draw from this week is that at least he seems to have cemented himself in the team. Now please play him in the middle and please play the guy, who has always been renowned for his amazing fitness, on the field for more than 60% of the game.

Why the hell was the guy who was our leading goal scorer tonight spending 40% of the game on the bench? I mean, he was unlucky not to kick 5 goals, and we're just leaving him on the bench....
Because Scott is a Spanner

Last edited:
Menegola once again was great and it's been a super first 11 games or whatever to his career.

Midfield mix should be Dangerfield, Selwood, Menegola, Duncan, Cocky and SS (when he returns). SS adds two way running and accountability, plus can win his own ball. It's time for Cockatoo to have games pumped into him for what he was recruited as, a midfielder.

Motlop up forward, he is not a midfielder.

Blicavs is not a midfielder.

Guthrie is out of sorts. On paper his pace would help either the defence or the midfield but he looks a liability in either right now. I would drop him ahead of Parsons right now.

Lang and Murdoch are not good enough.

GHS is unlucky but the midfield is probably too one-paced with both him and Menegola in there.

Stats from his 12 games:

Actually its a perfect time for a toast thread mate.
Its important to get some positives out of a frustrating night, and you're 100% spot on about your assessment of Menegola. His figures support your argument, and the fact is, he should never have been dropped in the first place.
Then to top it all off, Chris Scott has the hide to lament in the presser, that he only had 60% game time last night.........errr yeah Chris, that was your call!

Last edited:
Menegola once again was great and it's been a super first 11 games or whatever to his career.

Midfield mix should be Dangerfield, Selwood, Menegola, Duncan, Cocky and SS (when he returns). SS adds two way running and accountability, plus can win his own ball. It's time for Cockatoo to have games pumped into him for what he was recruited as, a midfielder.

Motlop up forward, he is not a midfielder.

Blicavs is not a midfielder.

Guthrie is out of sorts. On paper his pace would help either the defence or the midfield but he looks a liability in either right now. I would drop him ahead of Parsons right now.

Lang and Murdoch are not good enough.

GHS is unlucky but the midfield is probably too one-paced with both him and Menegola in there.

This is a great assessment. Other than i believe Lang can still make it i think you're spot on.

I think Blitz is a handy player but his ball use and speed is an issue that concerns me especially when playing midfield. Ive seen him to good things forward and he's a decent relief ruckman. I think he should play just not with that midfielder name tag.

Its important to get some positives out of a frustrating night, and you're 100% spo ton about your assessment of Menegola. His figures support your argument, and the fact he should never have been dropped in the forst place.
Chris Scott has the hide to lament that he only had 60% game time last night.........errr yeah Chris, that was your call!
Spot on. Players who stand up in turgid performances like that deserve respect. Anyone can play well when dangerwood are carrying us.

Its important to get some positives out of a frustrating night, and you're 100% spot on about your assessment of Menegola. His figures support your argument, and the fact is, he should never have been dropped in the first place.
Then to top it all off, Chris Scott has the hide to lament in the presser, that he only had 60% game time last night.........errr yeah Chris, that was your call!

A strange comment indeed........as if the decision wasn't his :huh:

60% game time is just terrible considering this guy is supposed to be an endurance animal. Screams of rotations just for the sake of it. Seeing him nail a goal from 50m then sprint full knacker to the bench is completely pointless. Cockatoo is stuck on a flank and Menegola is stuck on the bench when we should be pumping prime midfield time into these blokes rather than Blicavs and Motlop.

60% game time is just terrible considering this guy is supposed to be an endurance animal. Screams of rotations just for the sake of it. Seeing him nail a goal from 50m then sprint full knacker to the bench is completely pointless. Cockatoo is stuck on a flank and Menegola is stuck on the bench when we should be pumping prime midfield time into these blokes rather than Blicavs and Motlop.

It is a stupid misuse of him which i assume is because they dont want too many inside mids at once. Well dont play blicavs there (who is ineffectual there) and play menegola there for a whole game. Geez MC make the team better.

Stats from his 12 games:

Nice to see a bit of positivity around here. And I agree, Menegola has been great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Sam Menegola

Back