Stealth bomber

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2000
Denver, Colorado
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GB Packers, STL Cards, PHI Flyers
Sam Newman went on a tirade against Essendon on the Footy Show last night, calling us the most undisciplined side in the competition over the past four years, and proved it by putting up statistics, with something like 58 tribunal appearances. Fremantle was a distant second with 36 appearances, I think it was.

He told Sheedy that he lost the plot, was acting like a plumber, and it was time to clean things up and stop relegating.

Now, Sam Newman spouts as much dribble as anybody around, but I think some of what he said last night was a real eye-opener.

What does everyone think?

Originally posted by Stealth bomber
Sam Newman went on a tirade against Essendon on the Footy Show last night, calling us the most undisciplined side in the competition over the past four years, and proved it by putting up statistics, with something like 58 tribunal appearances. Fremantle was a distant second with 36 appearances, I think it was.

He told Sheedy that he lost the plot, was acting like a plumber, and it was time to clean things up and stop relegating.

Now, Sam Newman spouts as much dribble as anybody around, but I think some of what he said last night was a real eye-opener.

What does everyone think?
As much as it pains me to agree with Sam Newman, he has hit the nail on the head about Essendon.
The fact is that the supporters who attend training need to be able to go up to the players and simply tell them not to get reported.
It's a ploy that has worked for Hawthorn Football Club and it should work at Essendon that's if the players are willing to listen.

Gotta agree with his general idea. I mean, headbutting, kicking, post-shaking, coach yelling at opposition players...and when Matthew Lloyd has been reported five times in the past three years for three suspensions, one melee charge and one cleared...something isn't right, and it needs to change.

Seems to happen, too, when things aren't going our way - our best year in recent times was 2000, when we only had something like two reports for one suspension (Mark Johnson), I think. Excluding the Grand Final. And the last two-three years, when we haven't been dominating like we were in 2000, we've just been plain stupid.

:mad:

Re: Re: Sam Newman: Essendon undisciplined

Originally posted by goaldrush
The fact is that the supporters who attend training need to be able to go up to the players and simply tell them not to get reported.

Ahh, yes, I've always thought that if I go tell the boys to stop being stupid, they'll listen to me. Might drop into the rooms at half time and give them a bit of advice, too.

:confused:

There is a bit of truth in what Sam said but I also believe that those stats help prove that we are a target.
We have also been way down on the most frees paid for the last few seasons.
I know our players do some silly things, but so do players from all Clubs our players just seem to get pinged more, even Eddie said that.

As much as it pains me to agree with Sam Newman, he has hit the nail on the head about Essendon.
It's a ploy that has worked for Hawthorn Football Club and it should work at Essendon that's if the players are willing to listen.

Yup...it's helped make Hawthorn the biggest pack of soft c.ocks in the AFL.

Please - we do not want this kind of advice.
Football is not meant to be a touchy-feely kind of pursuit.

Ride boldly lads, and never fear the spills.
Just remember, it's always the guy who retailiates who gets caught...

It's also worth noting that we have had the most tribunal appearnces over the last 4 years and have won more games than anyone else over that time. Coincidence?

Not suggesting it's good to get playes suspended, but it might indicate a "hardness" that was our trademark. Arsenal have had more red cards than any other team in the EPL over the last 6 years and havn't been below 2nd. Against Brisbane the hardness was there, but it was done in a stupid way. Generally, if you're hard at the ball, but still disciplined (like we were from 1999-2001)you will still occasionally go before the tribunal on careless and reckless charges. That's what happens when you are a physical team. If the club keeps winning games, they can go to the tribunal as much as they want for all I care. They just need to stop with the stupid undisciplined stuff.

It's a ploy that has worked for Hawthorn Football Club and it should work at Essendon that's if the players are willing to listen. [/B]

:eek: :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Newman: Essendon undisciplined

Remove this Banner Ad

Back