Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Can absolutely confirm that there is no connection with Bikies and Mick's business, via his accountant!!! The tangents some of you head off on are completely ridiculous
I doubt an accountant would by know by default. Standover / kickback payments would be likely to come out of owner/director take-home pay (after-tax) i.e. accountant might know on a personal / friend level (as might any friend) but unlikely to be recorded in business outgoings/deductions/liabilities.

(not for one second suggesting Murphys are doing this or in any way associated with bikies)

Anyway...

Can absolutely confirm that there is no connection with Bikies and Mick's business, via his accountant!!! The tangents some of you head off on are completely ridiculous

Thanks for posting, those posts really clog up some great chat

$2k an hour…bloody hell. I worked for a law firm in Perth and our highest billing lawyer was just under $700/hr.
I’m talking combined rate with a high ranking Barrister, once you add on all the sundries associated inc lawyer - you said that’s $700 per hour. I may’ve underestimated

And Bikies are running a profitable business(es), admittedly outside the law and beyond the ATO.

The killing of a suburban mum on a morning run does not fit within a good business model; doesn't make sense.

As soon as the rumours started about bikies, I would expect a surreptitious message passed through the networks suggesting innocence and the Police look elsewhere.

Maybe one of Ballarat natives can advise of the number of Bikie and associate houses that have been raided recently. If there was any inking of a connection with her disappearance and the Bikies, the Police would take it as Green Light to turn over the houses and businesses of anybody riding anything more than a 125 cc Postie Bike

And Bikies are running a profitable business(es), admittedly outside the law and beyond the ATO.

The killing of a suburban mum on a morning run does not fit within a good business model; doesn't make sense.

As soon as the rumours started about bikies, I would expect a surreptitious message passed through the networks suggesting innocence and the Police look elsewhere.

Maybe one of Ballarat natives can advise of the number of Bikie and associate houses that have been raided recently. If there was any inking of a connection with her disappearance and the Bikies, the Police would take it as Green Light to turn over the houses and businesses of anybody riding anything more than a 125 cc Postie Bike
Nothing on the bikie front in Ballarat that would suggest that the police are ramping up raids on them.
I can't imagine any link between the bikies and Samantha or the panel beating business. It's seems pretty far fetched to me.

In cases where someone dies in a vehicle accident caused by a drug-or-alcohol affected driver, there is a legal precedent for 'murder' (rather than say culpable driving or manslaughter) charges , on the basis that a reasonable person would know that taking drugs and then driving and hitting someone would likely cause their death.
I am not alleging this is what happened in this case. But it's one explanation of why a murder charge might be considered.

Also, by definition, a 'hit-and-run' involves the driver leaving the scene immediately and not stopping. Since Samantha's body was not found at the alleged scene, this is clearly not a 'hit-and-run'. They are IMO implying POS stopped at the scene and they have explicitly alleged SM died at Mt Clear.

The reluctance to answer whether a vehicle was involved or not might have been because they don't (or didn't at the time) know the exact cause of death. They might be assuming SM was hit by a vehicle but not able to prove it. Answering yes or no to this question might compromise their case going forward if they actually found SM died from another means.
Just want to take a moment to acknowledge what to me comes across (mostly) as knowledgeable, clear and unbiased feedback to this situation, and I’m appreciative of your posts 31550.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think she ran along this route, but it is another way out of the area that she did run, and may have been an escape route used by POS........
It's a back way to get across to the other side of Ballarat (Sebas, Magpie) and head across to Scotsburn via Scotsman's Lead and the South Durham bridge, brings the dam into play and clearly demonstrates knowledge of this area
Just trying to get my head around this potential route. Are you saying there is a way from Mt Clear via back roads which avoids both the A300 and the C294 (for the most part), which gets you onto Buninyong-Mercer Road, and then subsequently down to Durham Lead?

Just trying to get my head around this potential route. Are you saying there is a way from Mt Clear via back roads which avoids both the A300 and the C294 (for the most part), which gets you onto Buninyong-Mercer Road, and then subsequently down to Durham Lead?
It requires plenty of zigging and zagging, but if you have a body on board on a Sunday morning you'd want to avoid any form of traffic, give yourself some time to figure out the next step. Lots of young blokes 4WD around these tracks without having to go too far from home, also a popular place for stolen cars to be torched. Just giving a local perspective, and to the accountant, this bloke is no soft touch, family members in AFL, major road construction firm, some tough geezers. If he says Mick is a clean skin that's good enough for this town!

It requires plenty of zigging and zagging, but if you have a body on board on a Sunday morning you'd want to avoid any form of traffic, give yourself some time to figure out the next step. Lots of young blokes 4WD around these tracks without having to go too far from home, also a popular place for stolen cars to be torched. Just giving a local perspective, and to the accountant, this bloke is no soft touch, family members in AFL, major road construction firm, some tough geezers. If he says Mick is a clean skin that's good enough for this town!

Maybe he went via Yarrowee? Is that a realistic option?

No bikies here Chop! Here there are NO BIKIES!!!!
homer simpson bike GIF

I doubt an accountant would by know by default. Standover / kickback payments would be likely to come out of owner/director take-home pay (after-tax) i.e. accountant might know on a personal / friend level (as might any friend) but unlikely to be recorded in business outgoings/deductions/liabilities.

(not for one second suggesting Murphys are doing this or in any way associated with bikies)

Anyway...
True and an accountant is bound by confidentiality under code of ethics anyway.

Anyway...
DirtyLeeds with which part/s of this post do you disagree?

Yellow is applied to a lot of roads and roundabouts on google earth.
I have not noticed the 'yellowing' in the past (over many years). The day prior to noticing the 'yellowing' was the day after I had been on Google Earth and posted shots on BF, and the yellowing was not present, and I was able to use Google Earth's street view. The day after which was the day after the phone was located, street view has not been available. However, street view is still available where there is no 'yellowing'.

I’m talking combined rate with a high ranking Barrister, once you add on all the sundries associated inc lawyer - you said that’s $700 per hour. I may’ve underestimated
Don't forget to include fees for a multitude of clerks and tonnes of photocopying charged at horrendous prices. Charge-outs are normally in 15-minutes brackets. So if say something takes 5-minutes, it is charged at 15. A KC (no involvement so far) can charge thousands of $s per day. If legal aide is involved, they set the level of charges that will be accepted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back