Scott Clayton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2000
Melbourne, Vic.
Just watching some archive footage of the Roys, and seeing Scotty Clayton play (and going from memory from his performances from '86 to '90) - I can't help but think that he has gone relatively un-noticed in regards to laudings from Roys supporters.

Does anybody have any stories, memories, or accounts of Clayton's greatness? I'd be interested to hear more about him.

Scotty's greatest moment was sucking Greg Williams in in 86 - actually got him reported and generally pissed him off. Destroyed Williams' game !

Worst moment - one out with Peter Daicos at PP in the last quarter. Nowhere to run, baby, nowhere to hide !

China Clayton.

Tim Lane (I think it was) once described him as a 'Clayton's Footballer'! Can't kick, can't mark, can't run, but boy, can he play football!

Scotty was a hero in his very first game (vs Richmond, Junction, '81). Take it away, Drew Morphett...
"McMahon another chance, wide out in the left forward pocket...snaps the ball...bouncing...short of the goalsquare...Dunne to Rowlings and the Tigers out of trouble...oooh, out to Wood, LOOK OUT! Lawrie just closed the gap...Fitzroy still a chance...Clayton! First goal in VFL football puts Fitzroy in front!"
*Cut to shot of Paula Duncan, John Orcsik, Gil Tucker and Lynda Stoner amidst a sea of Lion pandemonium in the Blackie-Ironmonger Stand *

Of course, Scotty went on to become probably Fitzroy's greatest tagger, a regular nemesis of Greg Williams, Craig Bradley, Peter Daicos and the like.

And, of course, he capped his career with a B&F in 1990, including a 37 possession, BOG performance in his final game.

------------------
Olmy knows best

Yeah, good to see him nominated for the Roys team of the century too.

Just on some of the video footage I've seen, I think it was in '86, he looked bloody huge! Not "Carey" huge, but more like a Michael Voss type of player - someone who could give off a good hip and shoulder. A mate of mine reckons he was one of the toughest going around with the Roys in the 80's (well, that's what he reckons anyway).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back