Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Best and fairest against aker voss brown lappin leppitsch. I dont think Collingwood has had those stars ever maybe Swan Thomas Didak the hardest competition in his best and fairest years.

So you are saying Pendlebury has the 2nd best peak of the 2000s. Surely you are joking?
Gaz stands alone, after that he is in the conversation.

Only 3 players have had a better player rating season - Gaz, Dusty and Danger. Pendles 19.9 is better than Fyfe, Bont, Petracca etc.

Pendles has claimed the coaches award, as a best player in a season.

So it depends if you want a single season peak like Dusty in 2017, or a player who has maintained their peak level over more seasons like Gaz, Danger or Pendles.

Gaz stands alone, but Pendles five seasons from 2010-2014 are as good as anybody else you can put forward.

Last edited:

Best and fairest against aker voss brown lappin leppitsch. I dont think Collingwood has had those stars ever maybe Swan Thomas Didak the hardest competition in his best and fairest years.
Black's 2x runners-up in the Brownlow were surprise results on the night and in those two years, he made only one AA squad and neither side. He finished 5th in the Lions' B&F in 2007 despite them not playing finals.

Black achieved his first All-Australian at 22 and last at 24. Pendlebury achieved his first at 22 and last at 31. Pendlebury likely would have won another AA at 32 had he not missed four games in 2020. One year after Black had retired by comparison, Pendlebury was prolific in a Collingwood premiership with a memorable last quarter performance to help drag his side over the line. At 36 years old, he continues to be a big contributor week to week.

Black's 2x runners-up in the Brownlow were surprise results on the night and in those two years, he made only one AA squad and neither side. He finished 5th in the Lions' B&F in 2007 despite them not playing finals.

Black achieved his first All-Australian at 22 and last at 24. Pendlebury achieved his first at 22 and last at 31. Pendlebury likely would have won another AA at 32 had he not missed four games in 2020. One year after Black had retired by comparison, Pendlebury was prolific in a Collingwood premiership with a memorable last quarter performance to help drag his side over the line. At 36 years old, he continues to be a big contributor week to week.
He is a gun for sure! I just think Black could do a little more and 323 he did play for a long time as well.
Pendelbury one of Collingwood best although I think if him and Buckley swapped eras Bucks would be untouchable in the debate.

It’s just a simple and pretty valid question. I know why you won’t answer it though and that’s fine.
Why would I do something you won't even do yourself?

Show me where you rank his peak relative to the top 40 AFL players this century, provide your reasoning and then you can demand others to do more work. I've already contributed 100x more value to this thread, but if you do want to actually start discussing things by using your own insight then you are free to begin.

You won't though, and that's fine.

Why would I do something you won't even do yourself?

Show me where you rank his peak relative to the top 40 AFL players this century, provide your reasoning and then you can demand others to do more work. I've already contributed 100x more value to this thread, but if you do want to actually start discussing things by using your own insight then you are free to begin.

You won't though, and that's fine.
I reckon if observers went by peak alone, a few (including me) would have Koutifides in the very top echelon. He'd probably be the third best player at his absolute peak that I have seen (starting circa 1980) after Ablett Snr and Carey.

But there's a reason he's not generally regarded as one of the greatest of all time - this thing called 'longevity'.

Gaz stands alone, after that he is in the conversation.

Only 3 players have had a better player rating season - Gaz, Dusty and Danger. Pendles 19.9 is better than Fyfe, Bont, Petracca etc.

Pendles has claimed the coaches award, as a best player in a season.

So it depends if you want a single season peak like Dusty in 2017, or a player who has maintained their peak level over more seasons like Gaz, Danger or Pendles.

Gaz stands alone, but Pendles five seasons from 2010-2014 are as good as anybody else you can put forward.
You see the difference between Pendles, Danger etc compared to Gaz and Dusty is that Gaz and Dusty could be the best midfielder and/or the best fwd in a match.

Dusty has kicked 6 goals in a QF and regularly outscored elite FFs like J Cameron, Hawkins, C Cameron, Tex in a Finals match playing 50% fwd gametime.

Pendles whilst being an elite field kick, doesn’t have that in his kit, if he did he would be used there. In fact in almost 400 games he’s only scored more than 2 goals 5 times. Yep only 5.

Similarly players like Danger, Fyfe and Judd who were the best of the best inside mids were also well known butchers.

Another interesting stats if you want to go career averages look at this:

Dusty averages 24.4 dis and 1.12 goals a game

Pendlebury averages 25.7 and 0.5 goals a game

So for 1 disposal less you get more than double the amount of goals from Dusty. Also keeping in mind Pendles has the most disposals ever. This is why I believe they are in different tiers. I don’t see a reason to pick Pendles over Dusty especially in finals.

You see the difference between Pendles, Danger etc compared to Gaz and Dusty is that Gaz and Dusty could be the best midfielder and/or the best fwd in a match.

Dusty has kicked 6 goals in a QF and regularly outscored elite FFs like J Cameron, Hawkins, C Cameron, Tex in a Finals match playing 50% fwd gametime.

Pendles whilst being an elite field kick, doesn’t have that in his kit, if he did he would be used there. In fact in almost 400 games he’s only scored more than 2 goals 5 times. Yep only 5.

Similarly players like Danger, Fyfe and Judd who were the best of the best inside mids were also well known butchers.

So for 1 disposal less you get more than double the amount of goals from Dusty. Also keeping in mind Pendles has the most disposals ever. This is why I believe they are in different tiers. I don’t see a reason to pick Pendles over Dusty especially in finals.
Mindnumbingly shallow analysis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the averages declining...fast.

Let's hope for your sake he retires soon...
Even if he maintained his 2024 averages (when there would/will certainly be a far bigger drop off in years to come), getting to game 400 would have Dusty at 23.0 disposals and 0.96 goals per game.

I suspect he will be forced to retire far before his averages are hurt that much though.

This thread is still going?

Undisputed contender for GOAT midfielder in the AFL era not named Ablett. More difficult to compare with pre-AFL players but you'd have to be incredibly biased or ignorant to rule him out of the conversation.

If we're still talking about the poor man's Harley Reid - you don't win Norm Smith medals by being a chump. There is also no dispute Dustin Martin is in the mix for best midfielder of the AFL era not named Ablett.

However, it's not a slight on Dustin Martin to rate him behind someone like Scott Pendlebury. Do Richmond supporters also get upset if someone ranks Matthew Scarlett over Alex Rance?

/bait

If we're still talking about the poor man's Harley Reid - you don't win Norm Smith medals by being a chump. There is also no dispute Dustin Martin is in the mix for best midfielder of the AFL era not named Ablett.

However, it's not a slight on Dustin Martin to rate him behind someone like Scott Pendlebury. Do Richmond supporters also get upset if someone ranks Matthew Scarlett over Alex Rance?

/bait
Oh and just like that I have a new favorite poster.

The Scarlett/Rance slip in was sneaky brilliant.
I doubt we will hear the last of that.

Oh and just like that I have a new favorite poster.

The Scarlett/Rance slip in was sneaky brilliant.
I doubt we will hear the last of that.

105 pages and counting.

105 pages and counting.
Absolute Gold
I just had a look and although it is a different thread, you would never know.

Same contributors, same conversations.

Horrible analysis.

Of course Pendles career numbers dont look as good, as he has almost hit 400 games.

Pendles had 7 consecutive seasons where he avg 28 or more disposals, Dusty only done that twice.

Pendles had 6 seasons where he avg 5 or more clearances per game, Dusty just 3. Pendles had 7 seasons where avg more than 11 contested possessions, Dusty just 3.

Pendles avg more goal assists and score launches than Dusty, he had 5 seasons where he avg 2 or more score launches to Dusty just 1.

And then the important bit, Pendles actually works BOTH ways...Pendles had 9 seasons where he avg 4.5+ tackles and 19+ pressure acts...Dusty never got anywhere near that.

Pendles was the complete midfielder, he won more of his own ball, won more contested ball, won more clearances, set up more scoring, and worked defensively to win back the ball.

A better player than Dusty, and outside of Gaz his record stacks up against any other modern midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back