Review Season 2024 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

jmadrox

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
For the love of god. I'm glad that season is over.

That was so emotionally draining. We're up were down where up. Close finishes where we cough and splutter.

Keen to know, get 3 Start, Stop, Keep for next season.

For me:
Start:
1. Showing true grit and mongrel
2. Believing in our run and carry
3. Dizzy on the field

Stop:
1. Panicking and then Fizzling in close games
2. Wasting opportunity
3. Being ok with the losses.

Keep:
1. 3 tall forward structure
2. 3 fast running defenders
3. Taking risks and backing ourselves

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Now that the curtain has closed on our season, what have you taken from it? Where are we at?

Three things stick out to me:
1. Match Committee: some bad calls were made in key games throughout the year. Reidy has proven he's atleast servicable at AFL level and should have been blooded sooner. We've also carried too many poor performers at different points.

2. Close Games: This is what's killed our season, our inability to close out tight games. I don't know how many we've lost by under two goals but I'd say it's atleast 3 or 4 games. I understand we're still a young team and maybe this has contributed, but it's just devastating.

3. Sean Darcy: Yes, I'm going to go here. Forget about the external noise and his contract etc.. and just think about his role in the team and the way the team tries to play. We play a contested game plan that's built on midfield dominance and he is the linchpin of the midfield that allows that dominance to occur. His inability to play throughout a whole season is now crippling us. I agree with others who have called him out for his conditioning, he needs to have a massive summer and get super fit, because if he doesn't I can see us having a similar type of season next year as we've had this year. Jackson isn't a number 1 ruck and having him play in the ruck full time for stretches of the season has robbed us of using him as a roaming mid/fwd player and has compromised our structure in the forward line.

Now that the curtain has closed on our season, what have you taken from it? Where are we at?
We were competitive when we had Pearce, and Treacy out there. They were cruel injury blows.

We were in with a chance most games. Ultimately if we get 10% better we win 50% more games.

Bring on trade season. Let's capitalise on our bounty of 1st round picks.

Grade: F

There were plenty of positives and hope for the immediate future, but we’ve failed to hit the minimum markers.

This team has a lot of elite talent to work with, and most of the pieces are there to hit the top echelon of the comp. And we should have hit it this year. But certain coaching, structural, and personnel elements led to the team falling short over and over again in similar ways this year. We need to get better and hone in on what is holding us back really quick, and cut the deadweight, so this group is not wasted.

So glad we get to have some sane objective and critical reactions to our season on here.

We performed on par with media expectations, probably 1.5 games short of expectations on here. ****ing frustrating that something that was never really an issue in our 4th quarters has cost us about 7 wins this season.

Lost games at MC, didn’t get games through enough players. Guys like Reidy brought in way too late. Not enough rotation through the midfield. No development spots to anyone except Johnson.

Injuries to key players at literally the worst time and no ready depth to replace them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So glad we get to have some sane objective and critical reactions to our season on here.

We performed on par with media expectations, probably 1.5 games short of expectations on here. ****ing frustrating that something that was never really an issue in our 4th quarters has cost us about 7 wins this season.

Lost games at MC, didn’t get games through enough players. Guys like Reidy brought in way too late. Not enough rotation through the midfield. No development spots to anyone except Johnson.

Injuries to key players at literally the worst time and no ready depth to replace them.
What injuries ?!

Cox was done by start of season.
Pearce is always a liability to get injured.
Treacy should’ve been covered.

Other then that, it’s mostly fit team

What injuries ?!

Cox was done by start of season.
Pearce is always a liability to get injured.
Treacy should’ve been covered.

Other then that, it’s mostly fit team
The fact that our AA level KPF, KPD and ruck all got injured at the same time right before we played the top 4 teams??

Don’t pretend that injuries didn’t play a part in us losing to 3rd and 4th by under 2 goals.

I want to see who we could get outside of JL

Love him but he is not head coach material.
That's the thing, though, isn't it. Who is there? Someone new, changes things up, team takes a year to adjust...

We're close, and I think JL's put them in a good spot. We'll go ok next year, bookmark it.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Season was pretty good until the last 4. jl needs a mongrel assistant like Sam Mitchell and Josh carr were - he’s too nice. Also need more ice in the veins

Where's Jackson at? 🧐

He injured or something? Genuinely can't remember the last time he adequately imposed himself on a game. Would have been back in autumn at best. Nothing comes to mind.

Got bested by a 6 game part timer in the ruck tonight. Embarrassing gear.

Where's Jackson at? 🧐

He injured or something? Genuinely can't remember the last time he adequately imposed himself on a game. Would have been back in autumn at best. Nothing comes to mind.

Got bested by a 6 game part timer in the ruck tonight. Embarrassing gear.
His season was ****ed the moment Darcy went in for surgery. Everyone knows that it was gonna wear him out physically. Just didn’t realise it would be that bad.

Our bottom 5 in our team let us down all year, plus playing injured people.
Need to improve our bottom 5 players urgently.

Fyfe and Walters are clearly past it, and should be told they will play most of next year in the WAFL, and asked if they want to retire.

We don't have a small forward, and this massively limits our scoring. With a good small forward, we win another 2 or 3 games.

Positives.

Great to have NOD back. Treacy has been brilliant. Draper and Davies impressed me.
Young has been brilliant in the midfield.

What we need to improve.

Bottom 5 players
How?
- 4 top 25 picks
- Mature age players like Winder, Richards

Small forwards - How?
- Richards, Winder, Berry

Delist

Hughes
Cordett
Taberner

In trouble
Kuek
Stanley
Emmett

Retire if possible
Walters, Fyfe

Rookie list
Brodie
Any of the in trouble players, plus Fyfe and Walters if kept.

One thing that stings: Neil Erasmus could have played 20 games; instead aish and fyfe and omeara played the season. What the fk for.

Cracks all over JLos gameplan. Bruise free. We are not fit enough or big enough (not sure how that happens). High performance went too conservative in pre season trying to get us fit and healthy. Good in theory, but it’s a pressure game and we are well short.

Darcy is a huge issue now and compromising the team. If he doesn’t come back next year 10kg lighter then wtf is going in exactly ??

Grade: F

There were plenty of positives and hope for the immediate future, but we’ve failed to hit the minimum markers.

This team has a lot of elite talent to work with, and most of the pieces are there to hit the top echelon of the comp. And we should have hit it this year. But certain coaching, structural, and personnel elements led to the team falling short over and over again in similar ways this year. We need to get better and hone in on what is holding us back really quick, and cut the deadweight, so this group is not wasted.
Yep F is correct. Complete fail of a season. Can’t think of a worse one in our history

Our bottom 5 in our team let us down all year, plus playing injured people.
Need to improve our bottom 5 players urgently.

Fyfe and Walters are clearly past it, and should be told they will play most of next year in the WAFL, and asked if they want to retire.

We don't have a small forward, and this massively limits our scoring. With a good small forward, we win another 2 or 3 games.

Positives.

Great to have NOD back. Treacy has been brilliant. Draper and Davies impressed me.
Young has been brilliant in the midfield.

What we need to improve.

Bottom 5 players
How?
- 4 top 25 picks
- Mature age players like Winder, Richards

Small forwards - How?
- Richards, Winder, Berry

Delist

Hughes
Cordett
Taberner

In trouble
Kuek
Stanley
Emmett

Retire if possible
Walters, Fyfe

Rookie list
Brodie
Any of the in trouble players, plus Fyfe and Walters if kept.

Yeah sure, I can see our bottom 5 improving next year by taking draft picks and two guys who are fringe

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Season 2024 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back