AFL Autopsy Season done, thanks Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

My renewing my membership next year depends entirely on list management at this point.

Not wasting hard earned for a case of deja vu.

I posted something similar in the GD thread & heat of the moment & all that but at this point, why?

Why am I supporting a club that consistently gives up? I've seen this exact movie so many times now but keep fronting up while watching the Hawkes of this world go up, win a flag, go down, go up, win a flag, go down, go up (what next do ya think???) & Geelong? Give me ****ing break.

Sheeds & Dodoro look to finally be gone but are they really responsible for whatever this is? I started supporting this club in 78 or 79, cant exactly remember when & they'd been shit for a while before that so I got lucky & quickly enjoyed a lot of success. Then comes '93 & soon after 2000. & then this. Whatever the last 20+ years are. They certainly are not reminiscent of anything like the club I used to love so much.

But whatever - they, the club, obviously no longer care about the on field, so why would I?

Anyone else at give up point - be it with the team, the club, or the sport in general?

I’ve thought I’ve been there for a while - but I watch these games with no emotion. Theres just no enjoyment to be had.

We either don’t show up at all (see St Kilda game) or we do genuinely try but just our style, skills, ability looks embarrassing, and teams went they want to try just laugh at us.

Theres only so long you can give as a supporter. To those that say “You’re not a true fan if that’s your belief” id ease up. We have been incredibly loyal. I’d argue more loyal than anyone else. But there’s a limit. Theres more important things in life.

It's because you're judging the last 2 years based on the unrelated last 15.

Anyone else at give up point - be it with the team, the club, or the sport in general?

I’ve thought I’ve been there for a while - but I watch these games with no emotion. Theres just no enjoyment to be had.

We either don’t show up at all (see St Kilda game) or we do genuinely try but just our style, skills, ability looks embarrassing, and teams went they want to try just laugh at us.

Theres only so long you can give as a supporter. To those that say “You’re not a true fan if that’s your belief” id ease up. We have been incredibly loyal. I’d argue more loyal than anyone else. But there’s a limit. Theres more important things in life.

Loyalty to ineptitude. The happy clappers think they are helping the club, it only acts as a shield to protect those failing to improve the club from deserved criticism.

0-4 at Marvel to close out the year.

It's beyond not good enough.
How about docking pay on half of these players?
maybe then they'd show something for more that a quarter or two.

Bit of both.

I think reading into that first half too positively leads down the wrong path.
Our method was poor, our execution was poor and the swans were off as per usual. Even with them being off we kicked a staggering 4 goals.

There is very little about that performance that is bankable in a positive sense.

Positives though, because why not -

-Shiel, well done mate, hope you get that trade and it's to a contender.
-Martin when he's in the forward half is a very exciting footballer which is at least something.

That's about it.

Really liked Roberts' game. Plenty of upside and looks like he believes he belongs at the top level.

Time to clear deadwood. Season's end can't come quickly enough. I actually don't give a f*** about next week's game.
Any of Laverde, Menzie, Stringer, Parish/Shiel, Baldwin/Weideman, Perkins, McGrath can go.

First half of the season, we slotted goals out of our arse, and the downhill skier's (3/4 of the team) joined in.
Second half of the season when the going got tough. Men got separated from the fairies. Going through the fixture I pencilled us in for 9 wins before the start of the season. Should I be giving them a pass ..... .... ... .. .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because you're judging the last 2 years based on the unrelated last 15.

We still can’t defend individually.
We still can’t defend the ground.
We still cannot move the ball out of our defensive 50 as we have some of the worst ball users in the comp coming out of there.
We still don’t put pressure on the oppositions defense exiting for 4 quarters.
We still don’t have any sense of forward ball movement in terms of leading, blocking, creating space etc..

Put whatever time frame on it that you like - 6 weeks, 2 years, 12 years, whatever you like. The issues are still the same.

We are so far away, the list is so far away, and a quick fix isn’t there. We cant teach half the guys to kick overnight. We can’t teach guys to be quicker and put better pressure on.

And I’m good. It’s not worth any sort of passion and dedication to care too much about it.

Last edited:
We controlled the game. Our pressure was on point. Obviously didn't put it on the board but every other aspect was good.
Opposition love when essendon have the ball and chip around. Gives them a lifetime to flood our foward line and slingshot an easy goal time after time.

We still can’t defend individually.
We still can’t defend the ground.
We still cannot move the ball out of our defensive 50 as we have some of the worst ball users in the comp coming out of there.
We still don’t put pressure on the oppositions defense exiting for 4 quarters.
We still don’t have any sense of forward ball movement in terms of leading, blocking, creating space etc..

Put whatever time frame on it that you like - 6 weeks, 2 years, 12 years, whatever you like. The issues are still the same.

We are so far away, the list is so far away, and a quick fix isn’t there. We can teach half the guys to kick overnight. We can’t teach guys to be quicker and put better pressure on.

And I’m good. It’s not worth any sort of passion and dedication to care too much about it.
I think the time frame you can put on it is maybe 2005 or 2006 because that's when the rest of the competition started putting more effort into playing the team game with real planning around ball movement and defensive structures. Meanwhile we still play like it's the 90's in the sort of game where individual brilliance drags you over the line.

The only positive to come from today is that with Dodo gone, we actually have a chance at eventually building an actually competitive AFL list.

We are genuinely about 6-7 years off that right now though, it's gonna take years to get rid of all the duds he's drafted and all the ****ed contracts he's given out.

On a related subject, is McGrath the worst VC in the competition? I watched him closely at the ground and while his disposal was predictably shit, what really stood out was how many times he was out of position and jogging.

If "lead by example" was a trait I'd look for in a vice captain, I would take a literal bag of shit over him because at least it might stick to a player.
I watched about fifteen minutes tonight.

Turned it on and saw them streaming out of defence with the game still close. McGrath scrubbed a kick to Sydney, who kicked it into their forwards for an uncontested goal.

Gee it would suck to have someone like that as one of your leaders; it would be so hard to respect anything they say.

booty GIF

Agree. Be brave, trade heaps and bottom out a bit.
Problem is, nobody wants our players. Outside of Shiel/Bryan/Hobbs/Stringer, there's been no talk this whole season of anyone wanting our players.

It's a buyer's market, and nobody wants what we have to sell.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I watched about fifteen minutes tonight.

Turned it on and saw them streaming out of defence with the game still close. McGrath scrubbed a kick to Sydney, who kicked it into their forwards for an uncontested goal.

Gee it would suck to have someone like that as one of your leaders; it would be so hard to respect anything they say.

Sydney had 7 more turnovers than us tonight. The problem isn't the mistakes. Everyone makes them, the problem is the lack of getting value from our play.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Season done, thanks Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back