AFL Autopsy Season done, thanks Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Parish and Shiel waltz around picking up 30 a piece whilst providing zero defensive pressure yet again, feels like Groundhog Day. Merrett/Parish/Shiel combination should be shelved permanently and force that by trading Shiel and Parish
Shiel was fine tonight. His efforts at pressurising the opposition was superior to most of the team including Durham.

I’ve been critical of Shiel’s defensive efforts in the past but there were 20 other players worse than him tonight.

Parish was terrible however.

We have one of these guys on a 6 year contract and the other one just one year. Based on tonight Shiel is much more worthy of the multi-year deal.

I also think they're incapable of defending once they turn it over. It's as good as done once they turn it over because they're out of position, they don't chase, and they often lack the skill to compete one on one.
I put at lot of this down to the work rate of our mids. They don't provide options which causes the defence to over possess the ball and they need to move out of shape.

This style is on purpose because we are so bad in the contest that we can't kick long to the wing, we can't move it quickly to get out the back because we don't have pace. This has to be tactical.

I agree that these guys aren't good with the ball but shit users out of the back line have won flags with a couple of designated kickers. This doesn't change with the likes of Ridley and Martin distributing the ball.

You can see it around the contest too, these mids just do not know how to move to space or handball channels for overlap.

Shiel was fine tonight. His efforts at pressurising the opposition was superior to most of the team including Durham.

I’ve been critical of Shiel’s defensive efforts in the past but there were 20 other players worse than him tonight.

Parish was terrible however.

We have one of these guys on a 6 year contract and the other one just one year. Based on tonight Shiel is much more worthy of the multi-year deal.
Durham is fading at the end of the year but I don't think even he was expecting the centre bounce workload he's had this year, a victim of his own success. Shiel picks and chooses when to apply pressure, its not consistent and has been the case throughout his career. He's not going to start magically play differently at age 32 he is a clear trade and fill more important holes in the list

Durham is fading at the end of the year but I don't think even he was expecting the centre bounce workload he's had this year, a victim of his own success. Shiel picks and chooses when to apply pressure, its not consistent and has been the case throughout his career. He's not going to start magically play differently at age 32 he is a clear trade and fill more important holes in the list
I agree Shiel will be out the door via a trade. We’d be foolish not to do that at this point. But he had been in our best few players since his return and I think his game has been far more rounded. If we were a genuine top 4 contender in the next year or two he’d be a great asset. Unfortunately we are waaay off that it would seem. Scotty has seen enough of the list now to know who he needs to cull for us to progress. I’d be amazed if he thinks Dyl is part of the solution. But credit where it’s due, Dyl has resurrected his career and I can’t criticise his output in the past few weeks.

Last edited:
Problem is, nobody wants our players. Outside of Shiel/Bryan/Hobbs/Stringer, there's been no talk this whole season of anyone wanting our players.

It's a buyer's market, and nobody wants what we have to sell.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Then delist and bottom out.

I want change for our next game.

In- Hayes, Tsatsas, Hind, El-Hawali, Wright, J.Davey

Out- Menzie, Kelly, Weideman, Jones, Stringer

B- J.Laverde B.McKay A.McGrath
HB- A.Roberts L.Hayes M.Redman
C- Z.Merrett D.Parish S.Durham
HF- A.Perkins N.Caddy B.Hobbs
F- J.Gresham P.Wright K.Langford
FOLL- N.Bryan J.Caldwell D.Shiel
I/C- E.Tsatsas, S.El-Hawali, N.Hind, S.Draper
Sub- J.Davey

Anyone else at give up point - be it with the team, the club, or the sport in general?

I’ve thought I’ve been there for a while - but I watch these games with no emotion. Theres just no enjoyment to be had.

We either don’t show up at all (see St Kilda game) or we do genuinely try but just our style, skills, ability looks embarrassing, and teams when they want to try just laugh at us.

Theres only so long you can give as a supporter. To those that say “You’re not a true fan if that’s your belief” id ease up. We have been incredibly loyal. I’d argue more loyal than anyone else. But there’s a limit. Theres more important things in life.
Amen!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This perennial drop off second half is ridiculously predictable and I want to see this club make some moves now.

What happens when Tassie enters the comp? How does this impact acquisition of new talent? Ess has to act now. It’s a club that’s got potential but just maybe mishandled over the years.

Brad can only work with what he has and it’s not much chop. But sacking him is not the answer. You can have the best coach but if the cattle is sub par then it becomes obvious who/what the common denominator is.

The saga fallout will remain in some of our minds. It’s a stain that may fade over time but you can never quite get rid of the mark it left. Ess need to rise from the ashes and become whole again.

Not surprised by the result…I reckon everything that’s needed to be said has been said regarding the list but execution and confidence go hand in hand…you drop a few marks, miss a few targets and goals and mentally it destroys you.

Don’t think you can be ahead in “key” stats and blame the coaching (or can you?). If we’re saying the list is not great, then doesn’t winning these key stats with the players we have means the team is being coached above expectations?

On the flip side, bad coaching and not a great list would mean we are getting smacked all over the ground most games right?

Surely we can’t be badly coached and have a sh*t list at the same time? I can’t accept that at the moment…

How many games do we win on expected score this year? I honestly haven’t looked but wouldn’t that tell us whether it’s coaching/game plan or personnel?

A lot of players have been off at the same time…not sure what happened on this mid season break but they all fell off the cliff…Langford, Redman, McKay, McGrath, Gresham, Laverde, inside 50 kicking, marking etc

Anyway, there goes another season…Matt Rosa, over to you…

Jye Caldwell gets an absolute free ride on this board.

He killed us in the third with his lack of polish.

He has a crack but lacks class. It's been happening all year but is overlooked.

He's good midfield depth to the A graders.

I want change for our next game.

In- Hayes, Tsatsas, Hind, El-Hawali, Wright, J.Davey

Out- Menzie, Kelly, Weideman, Jones, Stringer

B- J.Laverde B.McKay A.McGrath
HB- A.Roberts L.Hayes M.Redman
C- Z.Merrett D.Parish S.Durham
HF- A.Perkins N.Caddy B.Hobbs
F- J.Gresham P.Wright K.Langford
FOLL- N.Bryan J.Caldwell D.Shiel
I/C- E.Tsatsas, S.El-Hawali, N.Hind, S.Draper
Sub- J.Davey

you have already lost.

Jye Caldwell gets an absolute free ride on this board.

He killed us in the third with his lack of polish.

He has a crack but lacks class. It's been happening all year but is overlooked.

He's good midfield depth to the A graders.
He’s taken his game to another level. Disposal needs some polish.

News flash Kelvin. Players can play a bad game occasionally..

The only positive to come from today is that with Dodo gone, we actually have a chance at eventually building an actually competitive AFL list.

We are genuinely about 6-7 years off that right now though, it's gonna take years to get rid of all the duds he's drafted and all the ****ed contracts he's given out.

On a related subject, is McGrath the worst VC in the competition? I watched him closely at the ground and while his disposal was predictably shit, what really stood out was how many times he was out of position and jogging.

If "lead by example" was a trait I'd look for in a vice captain, I would take a literal bag of shit over him because at least it might stick to a player.
He's an athlete and not a footballer, which really shows.

Not surprised by the result…I reckon everything that’s needed to be said has been said regarding the list but execution and confidence go hand in hand…you drop a few marks, miss a few targets and goals and mentally it destroys you.

Don’t think you can be ahead in “key” stats and blame the coaching (or can you?). If we’re saying the list is not great, then doesn’t winning these key stats with the players we have means the team is being coached above expectations?

On the flip side, bad coaching and not a great list would mean we are getting smacked all over the ground most games right?

Surely we can’t be badly coached and have a sh*t list at the same time? I can’t accept that at the moment…

How many games do we win on expected score this year? I honestly haven’t looked but wouldn’t that tell us whether it’s coaching/game plan or personnel?

A lot of players have been off at the same time…not sure what happened on this mid season break but they all fell off the cliff…Langford, Redman, McKay, McGrath, Gresham, Laverde, inside 50 kicking, marking etc

Anyway, there goes another season…Matt Rosa, over to you…
Absolutely.

I wonder if overachieving in the first half of the season got into their heads? Players just could not cope with the weight of expectation and were dealt a reality check in the wet against the Dees. After that, we were spooked (similar to losses to Cats for a decade). There was no dare, players went into survival mode and we became negative.

The backline has been under a tidal wave of pressure the last ten weeks and it has been playing in an almost panicked state as a result of our forward entries and inability to score or keep the ball in our forward line.

There are certainly list issues and we need to find a couple of small forwards, speedy half backs.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Season done, thanks Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back