Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we got a team that is capable of winning a flag

YES OR NO?
To believe the answer is no is to believe the loss to Richmond last year was inevitable. No one can seriously argue this. Well, they can I guess. But it doesn't make it a smart argument.

Far more worryingly, the bad day crows to show up. The good day crows could have and should have won.

The real issue is completely different to the one you're hanging your hat on, and much harder to fix.

You would think with Pyke's business ventures outside of the AFL bubble that he would be acutely aware of this. I wonder which side will take over, the footy club man, or the businessman. Hopefully it's the latter, because I feel as though he's carrying a couple of people in that coaching group.

Is it Pyke, or the club's culture? when was the last time we sacked someone that wasn't head coach, Rendell? I can't really remember anyone else. Obviously you don't go sacking people for the sake of it but not ever sacking anyone is a bit odd.

Have we got a team that is capable of winning a flag

YES OR NO?
Yes

Has our Fitness department ****ed up this year and stalled our season

Yes

Have recent draftees in Milera, Doedee, Murphy, Fogherty, Gallucci and even Poholke (key draftees since 2015 draft) been good pick ups

Yes

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Walsh stuff is a myth. Walsh had a great personality and talked to the media like a boss, which made fans warm to him.

But he wasn't the messiah. He too was a big proponent of the gold pass culture. He had an unhealthy obsession with ground ball as if he had cracked the code. His win - loss wasn't amazing.

Pyke is the better coach by any measure. Walsh would be getting his arse handed to him with such a decimated squad. But he would be more entertaining and relatable to the average footy fan in pressers.
Walsh coached us for 7 months, i don't think anyone can pass judgement one way or another about his coaching ability based on that small period of time.

However his belief and messaging was spot on and really struck a chord with the fanbase.

Would he have won us a flag? Who knows, but those 7 months had me believing that we had someone who was going to fundamentally change the mentally at the club.

I bought into it enough that I still sometimes wonder would could have been had tragedy not struck.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Walsh stuff is a myth. Walsh had a great personality and talked to the media like a boss, which made fans warm to him.

But he wasn't the messiah. He too was a big proponent of the gold pass culture. He had an unhealthy obsession with ground ball as if he had cracked the code. His win - loss wasn't amazing.

Pyke is the better coach by any measure. Walsh would be getting his arse handed to him with such a decimated squad. But he would be more entertaining and relatable to the average footy fan in pressers.
I was never 100% sold on Walsh either. The ground-ball thing was a major annoyance of mine, but also things like "cooling" or calling a narrow loss to Fremantle good for football.

But I think a lot of his decisions have stood the test of time, and largely vindicated his limited time at Adelaide. I also think Walsh was more likely and able to fix flaws in players, where Pyke is more likely to have them lean on their strengths. (Not a criticism of Pyke, just a difference.)

Walsh coached us for 7 months, i don't think anyone can pass judgement one way or another about his coaching ability based on that small period of time.

However his belief and messaging was spot on and really struck a chord with the fanbase.

Would he have won us a flag? Who knows, but those 7 months had me believing that we had someone who was going to fundamentally change the mentally at the club.

I bought into it enough that I still sometimes wonder would could have been had tragedy not struck.

This is so true.
Also our playing group respected him.
For such a short period of time he touched each and every one of them on our list it seems
One 3/4 time stare from Walsh, just one, I suspect would have a far greater effect than Pyke's

You were a young thread, an interesting thread, you had potential, but alas you were unlucky. We could have shared some good times together discussing the immediate future of our club and how to make the most of this season to set our 2019 campaign up for success, but it wasn't meant to be. For now the scourge of threads has returned and you shall fall victim to derailment so that one man's agenda against Ogilvy and Doedee can fester.

Someone encouraged my return namely the person who started the thread

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes

Has our Fitness department ****** up this year and stalled our season

Yes

Have recent draftees in Milera, Doedee, Murphy, Fogherty, Gallucci and even Poholke (key draftees since 2015 draft) been good pick ups

Yes

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If a players body is going to fail it could be the fitness department or it may not be B Crouch has always been a train wreck tex is not durable and I feel the same about Sloane m Crouch may take after his brother

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it Pyke, or the club's culture? when was the last time we sacked someone that wasn't head coach, Rendell? I can't really remember anyone else. Obviously you don't go sacking people for the sake of it but not ever sacking anyone is a bit odd.

We sacked the one bloke doing his job head and shoulders above par.

“Only three things determine a battle. 1) Field position. 2) Fire power and 3) The morale of the troops. Often, you can’t do anything about field position because you are where you are. You can’t do much about fire power because you’ve either got Buddy Franklin or you haven’t got Buddy Franklin. But you can do a lot about the morale of the troops, so spend as much time into the morale of the players as you can.”

Rings true right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he means Nick Poulos, though he was not technically sacked, he was demoted.
I knew who he meant, and im not sure hes correct in that either. Poulos was roundly critisised around these parts, particularly in his early days, for bulking up our side to look like his no-necked Rugby mates. He had us pulling sleds and doing extra weights sessions, the players I spoke to, most of which arent there anymore said it was unlike any footy preseason we have done before.

The other thing that we need to keep in mind this season is given how poor Carlton, Brisbane, Essendon and GC are this year that they won't be winning many games so it will most probably drive up the number of wins to make the finals to possibly as high as 13.

This means that in order for us to make the finals we most probably can only afford to lose 4 more games in the run home.

If you look at our draw :eek: there's a lot more than four losses coming up

I think it's definitely the club's culture. I'm just interested to see whether Pyke tries to stand up to that and demands that the reins be handed over so he can do what he needs to do to win, or if he gets sucked in to it. He supposedly doesn't need the money that comes with being an AFL head coach, so I'm hoping for the former. There is also obviously the option of the club (board) ignoring his requests which wouldn't surprise me.

Rendell is about all I can remember, and it's not at all shocking that he was sacked on disciplinary reasons rather than those linked to performance. Funnily enough, he was one guy that was without question doing his job well.

“Only three things determine a battle. 1) Field position. 2) Fire power and 3) The morale of the troops. Often, you can’t do anything about field position because you are where you are. You can’t do much about fire power because you’ve either got Buddy Franklin or you haven’t got Buddy Franklin. But you can do a lot about the morale of the troops, so spend as much time into the morale of the players as you can.”

Rings true right now.

Leadership is one that is head and shoulders more important what you mentioned that would help in all three.

One of last games Walsh coached was one of the worst in our history. Your right he wasn't there long enough but I think it is a myth that he was turning the club around.

I think the dissapointing thing about this year is there won't be a lot of action. There will be a lot of people trying to save their jobs and that means blaming bad luck and injury.

The true test will be next year, as an example we have seen with Port and how the last three years each off season has been about excuses and positivity only for the same thing to happen again come mid season.

I hated this thread when I first read it. I was clinging to the door like Jack in the Atlantic. But really this ship has gone down. The worst things that we can do from here is bringing anyone back early from rehab to win a game, give anyone a game who won't be here next year and go back to the old stagers who are giving us nothing. We need to take our medicine.
I do think that our list this year if healthy had the talent to take us all the way, I just don't see them getting on the park. In reality, our season was beyond repair when Douglas took out McGovern and we dropped the Showdown, cost us against GWS as well.
Finishing 12-13 gives us a great pick, also means if Sloane goes in FA our compo can be after that pick (I think) if Lynch goes too then that's ok, let's load up this draft.
Our list next year would still be capable of contending and if we do get to steal JMcGov that would be excellent too.

I hated this thread when I first read it. I was clinging to the door like Jack in the Atlantic. But really this ship has gone down. The worst things that we can do from here is bringing anyone back early from rehab to win a game, give anyone a game who won't be here next year and go back to the old stagers who are giving us nothing. We need to take our medicine.
I do think that our list this year if healthy had the talent to take us all the way, I just don't see them getting on the park. In reality, our season was beyond repair when Douglas took out McGovern and we dropped the Showdown, cost us against GWS as well.
Finishing 12-13 gives us a great pick, also means if Sloane goes in FA our compo can be after that pick (I think) if Lynch goes too then that's ok, let's load up this draft.
Our list next year would still be capable of contending and if we do get to steal JMcGov that would be excellent too.

Youre very very very optimistic if you think we will challenge next year

One of last games Walsh coached was one of the worst in our history. Your right he wasn't there long enough but I think it is a myth that he was turning the club around.

If that game was one of the worst in history then I would say that you haven't seen many of our games over the years.

Walsh was under no illusions with the list, in his last press conference when he declared that there would be changes and that there has to be some "man conversations" about that performance.

Also after that game according to Tredrea,Walsh had a chat with VB (Mr undroppable) because he was originally going to be dropped for the Geelong game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back