Season review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So true.

At least we "looked like it" this PF. As in, watching the game you could see us rise to the occasion and play well.

The other games you mention were poo.
End of the day, if Tyson Stengle - one of the most talented forwards in the game - doesn’t give away a stupid free when Neale marked 20 out dead in front, gives the handball to Dempsey, and doesn’t scrub an open shot across the face of goal, we win.

I don’t blame one player for a whole team result, but senior players shouldn’t be making selfish choices

End of the day, if Tyson Stengle - one of the most talented forwards in the game - doesn’t give away a stupid free when Neale marked 20 out dead in front, gives the handball to Dempsey, and doesn’t scrub an open shot across the face of goal, we win.

I don’t blame one player for a whole team result, but senior players shouldn’t be making selfish choices

Was a bizarre game from Stengle. He is normally an elite decision maker. Unfortunately he chose a big game to play uncharacteristic footy.

Was a bizarre game from Stengle. He is normally an elite decision maker. Unfortunately he chose a big game to play uncharacteristic footy.
He has an awesome footy brain and always seems to think ahead.

It’s almost like he was trying too hard. I don’t know.
It was definitely incredibly bizarre.

You are right, the Tyson 'magic' seemed to have deserted him in the PF. I recall Corey Enright had a crap game once*.

* It was a pre-season game against StK

To bounce back from an injury interrupted 2023 was a welcome surprise for many, not so much that we improved. Most here would have expected some improvement on 12th. But the extent to our rise was pleasing. To be within minutes of a GF is both a testament to those within the 4 walls, and also a tantalising reminder that in 2024 we let a flag slip somewhat. An open season with a W1 finals win ensuring unlike every other competitor that we would be the only club not travelling again is disappointing. But overall we had a good season.

What worked:

The introduction of Tom Stewart into that midfield sweeper position at CBA's and stoppages. Released the shackles of his tag while not inhibiting his ability off halfback.

In some related change. The introduction of Lawson Humphries. Instantly looked the part and his inclusion to halfback made moving Stewart a little easier.

Cameron, Stengle, Miers, Mannagh and Close. The forward line looked back to the 2022 dynamism and we were exciting to watch forward of centre.

Neale and Henry deserve their own category. Both would be considered positives for 2024, with the caveat that I find both frustrating to watch far more than the rest of the forwards. With Neale there's a need to remember to be patient. So many games he's threatened to have a break out game only to double grab at marks. Other games has looked anonymous in the game. The inconsistency of young key forwards and their sometimes difficult development paths. As for O.Henry 37 goals is a good return, albeit with a 4 week goalless stretch in the middle, and an even bigger 7 goals in 10 games stretch. Even though there's 1 super fan boi on here who denounces ANY criticism of Henry with "Henry Truthers" his drifting in and out of games is certainly an area of improvement. Something that becomes very clear if it happens in a game where Neale is also struggling for impact and JC is being well held. Leads to very bad outcomes for the team as a whole.

Dempsey introduction into the team and solidifying his position inside the best team. Fortunate to win the Rising Star due to suspensions but had they won and he made it inside the top 3 it would have still been an achievement from such a late pick and slow burn as a 3rd year player. Will not be happy with his PF performance though you'd imagine.

Getting Dangerfield back from injury and combining him with Stewart and Holmes, among others. Saw Clark sent back to the VFL to develop more, as well as ending the careers at Geelong of Hardie and Parfitt. The trajectory we were on as we went into the bye was one of a side that'd miss finals. Changing the mix in the middle, while not fixing the problems we have there, still improved things sufficiently for a great coach to get the team Top 4.

What didn't work:

Cam Guthrie. Another year simply failing to get to the line. Do we persist with the same rehab programs and timelines for him as prior and simply hope for a different outcome or does this preseason present an opportunity to look at alternative methodology to treating his fitness concerns.

Tom Hawkins. Looked solid in 2023 but history will look back on this season as one too many for the big fella. For his last game to be dirty night in winter as the cats get an infrequent belting is a sad end to one of the best careers from a Geelong footballer. Brilliant footballer and wonderful person. A well earned retirement to the farmers life.

The pre-bye midfield set up. Just putrid. Simply awful. A setup that still has be sceptical over the positions and roles of a few of its members. Namely Bowes, Atkins, Bruhn and Clark. Clark especially needs to show improvement in 2025, failure to do so would be when the scepticism starts to become genuine concern on him as a player.

Toby Conway. Well sort of. In some ways we have had more exposure to him as a player and he again continues to show great promise. But again he broke down and we're no closer to knowing if he is the long term solution in the ruck position.

Playing Tuohy all year as a starter - not subbing him on once or off all H&A - only to make him sub in one final and omitted for the last game of our season. An ignominious end to a decorated career only for us to not upgrade on him in the process. Wasn't impressed. He deserved a better ending.

Defending transition. Would love to know how many times this year we conceded a streak of goals to the opposition. Would definitely be a record under Scott. Evident badly in the PF as we continued to give up the corridor only for the risky kick to be taken and executed. A goal against would then ensue.

2025:

Simply not sure what 2025 has in store for us, we have exposed some younger players to the rigours of AFL football, and suspect there could be more in 2025 that either get that or cement themselves within the best 22. Our list cuts already have me thinking VFL depth will be worse than 2024 so should see worsened performances there. Will definitely need some KPF re-enforcements from somewhere sans Hawkins, Foster and Rohan. Do we improve, stagnate or regress. NFI.

You are right, the Tyson 'magic' seemed to have deserted him in the PF. I recall Corey Enright had a crap game once*.

* It was a pre-season game against StK
Reminds me of the 2004 Prelim vs Brisbane, in that it was the only game in a 10 year span that I recall Scarlett getting his arse handed to him

Remove this Banner Ad

Season review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back