Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

TBF, there's still heaps of talk about Barrass being traded to the Bulldogs, even though he's contracted for another 2 years.

Maybe Freo think Bolton is gettable for the right price.
I wasn’t aware West Coast have shut down the rumours and have committed to keeping him?

Because I find it hilarious that so many Richmond fans seem to think it's "highly unlikely" to find someone as good as Bolton in a top 5 pick, I present my evaluation of the last 10 drafts. Green for players I think are definitively going to be or are better than Bolton. Orangey for debateable (and I tried to give like 10% either way) and red for definitively worse players than Bolton (even if due to injury).

1721812780402.png
By my count, I think 18 of 50 are currently clearly worse, 6 are better and currently, about 26 are relatively equal. The top end of the draft is a pretty safe space for very good to elite talent provided you dont have a global pandemic or career ruined by injury

Last edited:

Because I find it hilarious that so many Richmond fans seem to think it's "highly unlikely" to find someone as good as Bolton in a top 5 pick, I present my evaluation of the last 10 drafts. Green for players I think are definitively going to be or are better than Bolton. Orangey for debateable (and I tried to give like 10% either way) and red for definitively worse players than Bolton (even if due to injury).

View attachment 2057685
By my count, I think 18 of 50 are currently clearly worse, 6 are better and currently, about 26 are relatively equal. The top end of the draft is a pretty safe space for very good to elite talent provided you dont have a global pandemic or career ruined by injury
Wow that’s some time consuming analysis.
Now do it for Butters.

View attachment 2057685
Nice try Snuff but Shai is clearly at Franklin and Gary Ablett Jr levels. Untouchable with a top 5 pick

Maybe so, but I think we can agree Bolton won't be around for your next flag tilt, Tasmania coming in will set you back aswell, as far as access to quality talent. If you get 3 firsts thrown at you for bolton and Baker, and get 2 (somehow) from gold coast for Rioli, you could potentially go into next year with Jagga Smith, Sam Lalor, Joe Berry, Jack and Matt Whitlock and Christian Moraes. I think that would be alot better for your list long term.
Tassie won't massively effect us, we get some time now before they come in, plus we literally built a dynasty team where some of those pre years were the introduction of 2 expansion teams. Teams effected more will be the ones bottoming out in 2-4 years, I think by that stage we should be starting to climb the ladder if this next period is done correctly. Plus these days with FA/RFA and trading of future picks that we didnt have acess to in the AFL before, rebuilding is accelerated, again the caveat being the club does that process well in that time.

Bolton's potentially not around for the next one I agree but speculating 7 years in advance is just throwing darts in this league. In 2010 I wouldn't have picked Richmond to win our first of the three in 7 years time....

View attachment 2057685
Wasn't it just one Tigers poster that said that?

You're better than this Snuff.

Maybe so, but I think we can agree Bolton won't be around for your next flag tilt, Tasmania coming in will set you back aswell, as far as access to quality talent. If you get 3 firsts thrown at you for bolton and Baker, and get 2 (somehow) from gold coast for Rioli, you could potentially go into next year with Jagga Smith, Sam Lalor, Joe Berry, Jack and Matt Whitlock and Christian Moraes. I think that would be alot better for your list long term.
Just like GC and GWS set us back. Imagine how many we could have won without the massive setbacks. 🏆 🏆 🏆

They're premiership cups for those that haven't seen one before

secret smell GIF

I wasn’t aware West Coast have shut down the rumours and have committed to keeping him?
WC aren't in the habit of talking about media speculation
TB did come out and pretty much say a few weeks ago he was an Eagle for life unless the club pushed him out.

WC don't really push contracted players out.

Having said that, he's now being linked to Hawthorn.

I'd like the club to come out and hose it down TBH.

Wasn't it just one Tigers poster that said that?

You're better than this Snuff.
Nah, the "disagrees" triggered me, and I was interested to see how what the top5 historical was anyway tbh. Actually better than I thought

I'm also not above being petty

Funny if you go back to when Freo fell off the cliff and we had Fyfe out of contract and a lot of speculation he might go to the Tigers

A lot of people were making excuses about injuries and so forth and expecting us to bounce back but I didn’t like the look of our list at all and thought we should cash in on Fyfes value because what’s the point of a great player in a shit team anyway , if your bad just be bad and restock kind of thing

Fyfe won a Brownlow after that but then his body started breaking down and the last five years or so he’s been up and down and pretty low value compared to his prime

Similar kind of situation for Richmond with Bolton and Rioli at the moment bar the contracted side of things

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2057685
Remind us what Fremantle traded the 'clearly worse' Cerra for?

Also lol at some of those you have as 'relatively equal' to Bolton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are plenty of players on that list anyone would pick ahead of a 26 year old Bolton to lead a rebuild.

Bolton at 26 is a cherry on top gun player. Not a 18 yr old Sam Walsh who can lead a midfield for 10 years. You may argue about one or two but top 5 picks is where the cream is selected.

There are plenty of players on that list anyone would pick ahead of a 26 year old Bolton to lead a rebuild.

Bolton at 26 is a cherry on top gun player. Not a 18 yr old Sam Walsh who can lead a midfield for 10 years. You may argue about one or two but top 5 picks is where the cream is selected.
Yeah...

I don't think Freo would be trading for him to lead a rebuild, would they?

That's a reasonable call but Cerra was traded when younger and was like pick 6 and a 3rd rounder. I'm also not suggesting a top 5 pick would be enough purely by itself but just showing how remarkably safe those picks actually are these days. Remarkably few duds outside a Covid year.

I expect a lot of the names I said "were relatively" equal to raise eyebrows but I tried to give a decent amount of leeway either side. I think everyone either has been, is or will be a top 5 player at their club for decent amount of time (I'd probably change Parish now on second look though).

What a stupid post.

Really?

What is stupid about trading in a top 5 pick that gets a Sam Walsh quality inside mid to lead a rebuild?

Plus a 2nd or a player.

Are you saying if you were a list manager and had a decision to make on how to rebuild. Your option was a 26 yr old Bolton or a top 5 player the ilk of Sam Walsh or Pertracca plus a 2nd.

You would choose a lightly built 26 yr old half forward mid? Who will be over 30 when you next contend.

Seriously?

Hope he stays. Tigers will be desperate to move on a hot and cold (gun at his best in a good side) player to fast track their rebuild given some significant list management errors.

Gun player in a good side, but as others have said, cherry on top and icing on the cake type of player. Tigers have no cake and won't for quite a while.

Harwick loaded up with Tarranto and Hopper and bailed when he realised he'd put Tigers behind for many years..

They can continue to gain high picks via their onfield performances. I hope the WA clubs leave him. Freo and WC should be putting all their eggs into the Warner basket..

Hope he stays. Tigers will be desperate to move on a hot and cold (gun at his best in a good side) player to fast track their rebuild given some significant list management errors.

Gun player in a good side, but as others have said, cherry on top and icing on the cake type of player. Tigers have no cake and won't for quite a while.

Harwick loaded up with Tarranto and Hopper and bailed when he realised he'd put Tigers behind for many years..

They can continue to gain high picks via their onfield performances. I hope the WA clubs leave him. Freo and WC should be putting all their eggs into the Warner basket..
LOL, the club has literally said the opposite and Shai doesnt want to leave.

Bolton is Richmonds best player and is contracted for multiple years, Richmond won't be entertaining any 'fair' offers. If Freo really do want Bolton because they have set themselves up to trade for WA guns this trade period but at the moment don't have anyone on the hook, the offer will have to be something that is too good to refuse for Richmond. It doesn't really matter how people view Bolton, what matters is what it will take for Richmond to trade Bolton which is more than anyone will be willing to give up

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back