Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolton is Richmonds best player and is contracted for multiple years, Richmond won't be entertaining any 'fair' offers. If Freo really do want Bolton because they have set themselves up to trade for WA guns this trade period but at the moment don't have anyone on the hook, the offer will have to be something that is too good to refuse for Richmond. It doesn't really matter how people view Bolton, what matters is what it will take for Richmond to trade Bolton which is more than anyone will be willing to give up

This is all fair and likely accurate- but conversely would you acknowledge there is some incentive and upside for Richmond in trading Bolton?

This is widely spoken about as a quality, deep draft - surely taking a few extra first rounders into it would put you guys well and truly ahead of schedule?

It doesn’t have to be a zero sum scenario

This is all fair and likely accurate- but conversely would you acknowledge there is some incentive and upside for Richmond in trading Bolton?

This is widely spoken about as a quality, deep draft - surely taking a few extra first rounders into it would put you guys well and truly ahead of schedule?

Depends how many guys leave. Don't think we can lose Rioli and Bolton on top of Baker.

The point that is pretty often overlooked by the experts on these these forums is that it also requires Shai Bolton to want to leave Victoria.

Which I can tell you with a decent amount of confidence is that his life is VERY settled in Vic and going back to WA isn’t high on his list.

[/QUOTE]
What?

Freo are trading for a gun cherry on top. To win now.

Richmond don't need a 26 year old Bolton to rebuild they need the next Sam Walsh to lead their midfield for 10 years.

Simple concept isn't it?
We are getting Sam Walsh for Bolton now?
Whose the player likely in this draft to be the next Walsh and how do Freo get access to this pick?

We are getting Sam Walsh for Bolton now?
Whose the player likely in this draft to be the next Walsh and how do Freo get access to this pick?
[/QUOTE]

Go back and read the trade proposed we were discussing. Not sure who it was.

Its basically the Eagles 1st swapped for Freo's picks.

Freo send pick 2 or 3 to Richmond for Bolton. Plus steak knives.

Pick 2 is where players the class of Walsh are selected. And Petracca. And Judd. And Martin. Etc. Players you draft as cornerstones of a rebuild.

Go back and read the trade proposed we were discussing. Not sure who it was.

Its basically the Eagles 1st swapped for Freo's picks.

Freo send pick 2 or 3 to Richmond for Bolton. Plus steak knives.

Pick 2 is where players the class of Walsh are selected. And Petracca. And Judd. And Martin. Etc. Players you draft as cornerstones of a rebuild.
Yeah you were the one that mentioned it.

I don’t see a Petracca, Judd or Martin in this draft though. So why are we talking like that’s what the club will be missing out on?

If that were the case I’d be all in on that.
Who are the names I need to be looking out for now in the juniors to get excited as the next generational player we get for Bolton? And if we have the natural pick before it we get one that you’d assume is better.

The next Judd and Martin, where do I sign???

Yeah you were the one that mentioned it.

I don’t see a Petracca, Judd or Martin in this draft though. So why are we talking like that’s what the club will be missing out on?

If that were the case I’d be all in on that.
Who are the names I need to be looking out for now in the juniors to get excited as the next generational player we get for Bolton? And if we have the natural pick before it we get one that you’d assume is better.

The next Judd and Martin, where do I sign???

I didnt come up with the trade suggestion and pick swaps.

Sure Tigers likely have a pick next to the Eagles. The top three available players around those picks are O'Sullivan who is having a lower year than last due to a couple of niggles, a hammie and a finger injury the latest.

Sid Drapper is up there.

Both described as Rolls Royce mids.

Smille has dropped in form and didnt make u18 AA. Was in top 3 discussions.

Jagga Smith is rising after a very good championships and his excellent form now flowing through to senior football at VFL level.

Remember the last club with two top 5 picks. Hawthorn set themselves up very nicely.

This draft is starting to look deep, maybe the Tigers split one of these and land a top 10 pick and another mid first to bring in a tall like Trainor.

The gist of the discussion is if you were looking at rebuilding does a 26 year old Bolton do the rebuild job better than a top 3 gun mid or two top 10ish quality kids?. Plus steak knives like a player or future picks.

If the Tigers were in contension it would be a totally different discussion, you would keep him. And thats why Freo would pay overs to get him.

Last edited:
I didnt come up with the trade suggestion and pick swaps.

Sure Tigers likely have a pick next to the Eagles. The top three available players around those picks are O'Sullivan who is having a lower year than last due to a couple of niggles, a hammie and a finger injury the latest.

Sid Drapper is up there.

Both described as Rolls Royce mids.

Smille has dropped in form and didnt make u18 AA. Was in top 3 discussions.

Jagga Smith is rising after a very good championships and his excellent form now flowing through to senior football at VFL level.

Remember the last club with two top 5 picks. Hawthorn set themselves up very nicely.

This draft is starting to look deep, maybe the Tigers split one of these and land a top 10 pick and another mid first to bring in a tall like Tainor.

The gist of the discussion is if you were looking at rebuilding does a 26 year old Bolton do the rebuild job better than a top 3 gun mid or two top 10ish quality kids?. Plus steak knives like a player or future picks.

If the Tigers were in contension it would be a totally different discussion, you would keep him. And thats why Freo would pay overs to get him.
Yep, I agree with the argument you are making it don’t agree with the types of players you are comparing them to being available. If Freo could hand over two picks that land within the top ten that when they are picked (inclusive of the inevitable 2-3 moves out for NGA, FS and FA compo) that would probably be suitable for Bolton. For them to do that they would probably need to hope Collingwood keeps its ladder position and they use their other 2 firsts to trade into the natural top ten. It’s doable I spose if they really wanted him.

Likewise they could trade them all to WC for pick 3 and we trade that to GC for pick 8, 9 and a second.

Or keep pick 3 in itself.

All three options would be palatable.

Shai is staying - at the moment.

Freo has offered him crazy money, supposedly.

So to me the only way he moves is if Freo really want to crack this opportunity to win a premiership wide open. Shai would turbo charge Freo. He is piece they don't have. In a really good team Shai is dynamite - type of player he is.

So Freo need to overpay to get him. Will they do that? - to win a premiership (well really to improve their chances of winning one).

The ball is in Freo's court. Tigers want to keep him, but an amazing deal would move the club I reckon.

So to me the only way he moves is if Freo really want to crack this opportunity to win a premiership wide open. Shai would turbo charge Freo. He is piece they don't have. In a really good team Shai is dynamite - type of player he is.

So Freo need to overpay to get him. Will they do that? - to win a premiership (well really to improve their chances of winning one).

The ball is in Freo's court. Tigers want to keep him, but an amazing deal would move the club I reckon.
We'll absolutely give plenty, we wouldn't have talked to him if we weren't willing. It's not like we don't know he has 4 years to go.

Yep, I agree with the argument you are making it don’t agree with the types of players you are comparing them to being available. If Freo could hand over two picks that land within the top ten that when they are picked (inclusive of the inevitable 2-3 moves out for NGA, FS and FA compo) that would probably be suitable for Bolton. For them to do that they would probably need to hope Collingwood keeps its ladder position and they use their other 2 firsts to trade into the natural top ten. It’s doable I spose if they really wanted him.

Likewise they could trade them all to WC for pick 3 and we trade that to GC for pick 8, 9 and a second.

Or keep pick 3 in itself.

All three options would be palatable.
We will probably have pick 6 and pick 10-12. I recon Richmond would just do a straight swap for those two, maybe some late junk picks coming back if you have enough points and don't need them.

It all revolves around Bolton actually wanting to move, I recon he needs to be pushing for it for it to happen. It get interesting if Richmond want to pay some of his salary and we give up a bit more. Likely to have pick 15-18 and Pick 23 before any shifting.

He's already on crazy money, what more can we possibly be offering him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's already on crazy money, what more can we possibly be offering him

Don't know. He is on a good wicket at the Tigers, but not crazy.

The rumours said that he was being offered a lot by Freo. Presumably they hoped he would say yes and they could push it through. But then this is just rumours.

I assume, with no evidence, that if this happens the tigers will pay a lot of his salary and get pick/s in exchange.

He doesn't really want to go, unlike Baker (by rumour) who is gone. So it requires more $ and picks to the Tiges to make it happen. I suspect that it will only happen if the Dockers really want it to happen

Don't know. He is on a good wicket at the Tigers, but not crazy.

The rumours said that he was being offered a lot by Freo. Presumably they hoped he would say yes and they could push it through. But then this is just rumours.

I assume, with no evidence, that if this happens the tigers will pay a lot of his salary and get pick/s in exchange.

He doesn't really want to go, unlike Baker (by rumour) who is gone. So it requires more $ and picks to the Tiges to make it happen. I suspect that it will only happen if the Dockers really want it to happen
It's interesting where these rumours are coming from.

The mail I had was that Bolton was asking to come back to WA, and his mgmt had approached Freo. His expectation was that nothing would even be looked at until next year with it coming so late in the year.

Warner staying, and the current draft hand Freo have could make this interesting now.

Everything from Richmond is what you'd expect of a contracted player.

I don't think it happens, but is interesting to look at the different information coming from each side of the fence.

Isn't he on more due to a back-ended deal at the Tiges?

Would think we'd do the opposite, Front ended/sign on bonus to assist with moving back (which could be huge) but the rest on a much lower and balanced rate to match the rest of the squad.

Would think we'd do the opposite, Front ended/sign on bonus to assist with moving back (which could be huge) but the rest on a much lower and balanced rate to match the rest of the squad.
At the very least, his reported 1mill a year isn't going to be front loaded with where the list was at when he signed. I frankly do not believe we are offering him more money to leave.

I do believe there is some some middle ground between both sides where Freo approached him, he is/was half interested and put it to Richmond in case they wanted to make draft bank while the sun shines. Richmond say no, Bolton says no biggy and everyone continues on.

Yeah sorry, that was the bad joke/reference - that he's already on more than that.

Your scenario is ideal from a freo POV - but as you and everyone else are stating - I think the outcome of this hinges on how much / whether he wants to head back west.

Should he make the request - Richmond won't be ripped off, Freo will pay a small fortune in draft picks but get a player that absolutely nails a need, and Shai will continue to be paid handsomely. Otherwise he'll stay, and life goes on.

There's absolute incentive if the deal uses our contract leverage and we get overs, there's far less incentive to trade for an okay offer.

The mail I had was that Bolton was asking to come back to WA, and his mgmt had approached Freo. His expectation was that nothing would even be looked at until next year with it coming so late in the year.

Warner staying, and the current draft hand Freo have could make this interesting now.

I don't think it happens, but is interesting to look at the different information coming from each side of the fence.
The mixture of messages coming from all different places is getting super annoying to be honest.

The mixture of messages coming from all different places is getting super annoying to be honest.
Would be nice if journos could actually report on something without needing to push an agenda, huh?

Would be nice if journos could actually report on something without needing to push an agenda, huh?
Just an ounce of accountability would suffice.

I thought the Bolton rumors were put to bed, but they refuse to go away.

Player managers always approach other clubs to see what offers are around. That isn't new. It's that, supposedly, Freo were willing to go fairly hard that turned this one up.

But I thought it was dead a few weeks ago.

Next thing the rumours are back on. At this time of year there are so many rumours about the better players that are basically crap. I suspect that this time it is just that Shai to Freo makes so much sense that journos and people repeat the rumour, not that he is going.

Unless of course Freo is willing to pay overs. Then it might be back on. Don't hear any Freo supporters saying that they have heard that, which makes me doubt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back