Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Been quite a few players that have been held to stay out their contract.

Richmond have no need to trade Bolton and he has stated clearly he knows he may have to stay at Richmond.

Freo are the ones that need to offer something pretty big to the table to extract him.

Two early first round picks might not even get the job done.

Been quite a few players that have been held to stay out their contract.

Richmond have no need to trade Bolton and he has stated clearly he knows he may have to stay at Richmond.

Freo are the ones that need to offer something pretty big to the table to extract him.

Two early first round picks might not even get the job done.
Think rationally for once. You're entering a rebuild. 26 year old has made it clear that he doesn't see his future at the club and wants to go home.

You either
a) keep him there and miss out on at least two first round players in what is a very deep draft. then when he leaves the draft will be diluted by tassie.
b) trade him for a couple of firsts (at least one of which will be top 10) to get in some young talent that will help fast track your rebuild so that you're back starting to contend when tassie come in.

We're not the ones initiating the trade. Bolton is.

Think rationally for once. You're entering a rebuild. 26 year old has made it clear that he doesn't see his future at the club and wants to go home.

You either
a) keep him there and miss out on at least two first round players in what is a very deep draft. then when he leaves the draft will be diluted by tassie.
b) trade him for a couple of firsts (at least one of which will be top 10) to get in some young talent that will help fast track your rebuild so that you're back starting to contend when tassie come in.

We're not the ones initiating the trade. Bolton is.
Trade value aside, that last point is really speculation.

Literally straight from his managers mouth what more do you want 😭
Just because the first public statement came from Bolton's camp doesn't mean that discussions haven't been happening for some time. I'd be very, very surprised (shocked even) if both WA teams hadn't sounded out his management some time ago. The statement that was released is a cookie-cutter for a contracted player considering a move.

“Shai Bolton has not requested a trade. We have had some ongoing discussions with Richmond throughout the season where he has indicated that he would be open to the idea of returning home to Perth if a suitable deal can be struck that benefits all parties involved,” Van Der Wielen said.

“With a young family and strong ties to Perth, the prospect of being closer to home is appealing to him. However, Shai is not making any demands of Richmond and fully understands that he has four years remaining on his current contract.”

What are some of you Richmond fans smoking? You're already getting a very good deal if you get 9 and 17, that would be one of the most valuable trades in AFL history, that's more than we let Lachie Neale go for, and as much as I love Bolton, he's nowhere near Neale's level.

9 and 17 gets it done, you're being greedy if you say otherwise.

Just because the first public statement came from Bolton's camp doesn't mean that discussions haven't been happening for some time. I'd be very, very surprised (shocked even) if both WA teams hadn't sounded out his management some time ago. The statement that was released is a cookie-cutter for a contracted player considering a move.

“Shai Bolton has not requested a trade. We have had some ongoing discussions with Richmond throughout the season where he has indicated that he would be open to the idea of returning home to Perth if a suitable deal can be struck that benefits all parties involved,” Van Der Wielen said.

“With a young family and strong ties to Perth, the prospect of being closer to home is appealing to him. However, Shai is not making any demands of Richmond and fully understands that he has four years remaining on his current contract.”
When a player signs a six year deal 12 months ago and then suddenly changes his mind it's not because the club that had been trying to convince him to come over for years finally gets through to him, it's because circumstances have changed and he changed his mind.

It's no secret that we've been trying to lure Bolton for ages, as we do with every good WA player. But when he signs a deal for that long and then has a sudden change of mind it's because he wants the trade, not because we've asked the question. Otherwise he would have responded to all our other attempts before signing.

What are some of you Richmond fans smoking? You're already getting a very good deal if you get 9 and 17, that would be one of the most valuable trades in AFL history, that's more than we let Lachie Neale go for, and as much as I love Bolton, he's nowhere near Neale's level.

Hey hey hey, just relax, breathe.

When a player signs a six year deal 12 months ago and then suddenly changes his mind it's not because the club that had been trying to convince him to come over for years finally gets through to him, it's because circumstances have changed and he changed his mind.

It's no secret that we've been trying to lure Bolton for ages, as we do with every good WA player. But when he signs a deal for that long and then has a sudden change of mind it's because he wants the trade, not because we've asked the question. Otherwise he would have responded to all our other attempts before signing.
Yeah, fair enough. I don't think this is going to affect the trade value though. There's currently two suitors, both with the capital to get it done and a strong desire to land him. The release is very much a 'I'm open to it but I'm ok if it doesn't happen' kind of thing.

If Bolton goes to Freo, your first two picks will be involved. Bookmark it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Bolton goes to Freo, your first two picks will be involved. Bookmark it.
Not if they’re both top 10.

Neale contracted at the same age with 2x b&fs was valued at 6 and ~25.

Puts Bolton’s value with our current picks at 9,17.

If you add Baker who’s early 20s then our first two picks (9,10) should be enough for both.

If you add Baker who’s early 20s then our first two picks (9,10) should be enough for both.
This seems about right.

Yeah, I don't think points value really reflects picks value. It's just a trading mechanism. For example I'd rather pick 3 alone than 9 + 10. I suspect Richmond will see it the same way, we don't have to trade him, but 9+10 is a lot more appealing than 9+17, even if we have to include a second coming back.

Some manic laughter going on in this thread.
De Goey was bog in the preliminary against the giants and had big moments in our grand final win, the goal that put us in front before sideys sealer which you probably scratched from your collective memories.

Degoey is a big game player who stands up when the games on the line. Deadly around goals. He's everything Shai Bolton is not.
I have to agree with Vindaloo on this one, De Goey's form has been elite... in Bali. Definitely in All Australian form.

I have to agree with Vindaloo on this one, De Goey's form has been elite... in Bali. Definitely in All Australian form.
Sigh.

At 2.10. Degoey is a matchwinner and a big game player. Clutch. Yeah, that was really sweet, watch this and get back to me. Somehow I don't think you will get through the whole video.

Yeah, I don't think points value really reflects picks value. It's just a trading mechanism. For example I'd rather pick 3 alone than 9 + 10. I suspect Richmond will see it the same way, we don't have to trade him, but 9+10 is a lot more appealing than 9+17, even if we have to include a second coming back.
What would you expect for Baker? What do you think would be fair if we were going for Both of them in the same deal?

What would you expect for Baker? What do you think would be fair if we were going for Both of them in the same deal?
Baker is worth something late in the first round.

If Bolton and Baker both head to Freo I'd want your three first rounders this year, or 9,10 and your F1st. Perhaps with a second coming back if that gets it over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back