Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

You're not getting 2 top 10 picks for him, he's nowhere near that value, 9 and 17 is the most fair.
Its over as he has a contract - his form since the bye has been terrible. The Tigers will be better off without him as he won't help much while they rebuild. He is not the type of player to work hard to improve and help a floundering young side.

You're not getting 2 top 10 picks for him, he's nowhere near that value, 9 and 17 is the most fair.
You should be prepared to lose them both simply because I don't see Richmond budging on it. The question will be what Freo can get coming back with them.

You should be prepared to lose them both simply because I don't see Richmond budging on it. The question will be what Freo can get coming back with them.
Hmm, I don't know, I would hope Richmond would be more rational and see things fairly, I can see them going the way you've said though.

Baker is worth something late in the first round.

If Bolton and Baker both head to Freo I'd want your three first rounders this year, or 9,10 and your F1st. Perhaps with a second coming back if that gets it over the line.
28 year old out of contract after an average year worth a first rounder? Shocking.

28 year old out of contract after an average year worth a first rounder? Shocking.
Late firsts are a crap shoot. Could get a good player, could get nothing, very unlikely to get a star. Baker's a versatile and reliable B+ player with occasional A games. If you think you're hitting the window and you think he'll complement the team you'd pick that up for a late first rather than gamble on the draft. That's just good list management.

I went to see GWS Freo last weekend. I reckon if Baker was in that team you'd have won.

Late firsts are a crap shoot. Could get a good player, could get nothing, very unlikely to get a star. Baker's a versatile and reliable B+ player with occasional A games. If you think you're hitting the window and you think he'll complement the team you'd pick that up for a late first rather than gamble on the draft. That's just good list management.

I went to see GWS Freo last weekend. I reckon if Baker was in that team you'd have won.
We’d also have won if one of Pearce, Darcy, or Treacy would have played. Or if one of Banfield and Cox didn’t decide to play the worst games of their careers. Or even if we didn’t miss sitters from directly in front. Too many things that went wrong for us that you can’t really make an argument that Baker would be the difference there.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I always love the posturing between supporter groups.

I’ll throw in my 2 cents.

Would absolutely love Bolton at our club. 100% improves us and would likely thrive.

Worth? Well this is where I love the opinions.

OOC - mid to late first
Fire sale to rebuild - still a late first
4 years to run - 2 firsts with a 3rd coming back.

Where the posturing between clubs will fall is on what firsts or what come back.

Currently Freo hold 8, 13, 16
Picks that may matter for Richmond are currently 21, 33, 39, 41, 51

Let’s leave future picks out of it, although if a deal is done they’re almost certain to feature.

I think par lies around 13, 16 with 33 coming back.

BUT Richmond will demand 8 and 13 and rightfully so. Perhaps in that scenario we could squeeze 21 back.

BUT Freo are certain to baulk at that asking price even with the coveted 21 coming back.

Hence games begin. Hypotheticals drawn up. The drama and intrigue for a week plus endless trade radio speculations.

Chad Warner does come into consideration.

If I’m Freo I’m placing pick 8 on the table and giving them 48 hours. Richmond won’t accept, but they had their chance. I’m then trading 8 to someone wanting to move up the draft for a late first and future first. Someone will pay that.

Freo are then armed with 13,16, 17~18 plus 2 future firsts.

Richmond can have 13 and 16 or 13 and a future first. We can have some token pick back, probably a future 4th or something equally non consequential.

I think it’s fair for both. What it will boil down to is how the pick 8 is used.

I don’t think Freo will want to give that and extras up and don’t think Richmond will accept just that.

Let the negotiations commence!
Thanks but I'll just keep Bolton in that instance and watch him kick 5 against Freo next year to keep them out of the finals again.

Freo will pay at least 8 & 13 and be happy to do so. Bookmark it.

Last edited:
We’d also have won if one of Pearce, Darcy, or Treacy would have played. Or if Banfield and Cox didn’t decide to play the worst games of their careers. Or even if we didn’t miss sitters from directly in front. Too many things that went wrong for us that you can’t really make an argument that Baker would be the difference there.
Of course there are no absolutes in speculation, it's just an opinion. But he's durable and brings grunt and determination every week - more than most as he's not blessed with the greatest talent. My point is he may not be worth a late first to every team, but he's definitely worth it to some teams.

Looking back to your last three weeks you'd have to say he could easily be the difference in at least one of those games. That puts you top 8. If he helps swing 2 games thats top 4. That's not worth a late first? Madness! :)

On topic again, if you had Baker and Bolton on your list, looking at how many close losses you've had you'd have to think you'd be top 4 right now. Definitely worth what I was speculating in value.

Been quite a few players that have been held to stay out their contract.

Richmond have no need to trade Bolton and he has stated clearly he knows he may have to stay at Richmond.

Freo are the ones that need to offer something pretty big to the table to extract him.

Two early first round picks might not even get the job done.
Papley, O'Keefe, Campbell, Daniher, Gibbs all held to their contracts after trades fell over. Apart from Daniher they had career best years the following season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Shai would be a good pick up for Freo. Cost too much, but that's the market.
Only in the game coz we got two firsts from others from good dealing by Walls, thanks Graeme Wright!
Reckon Baker will go to West Coast.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I always love the posturing between supporter groups.

I’ll throw in my 2 cents.

Would absolutely love Bolton at our club. 100% improves us and would likely thrive.

Worth? Well this is where I love the opinions.

OOC - mid to late first
Fire sale to rebuild - still a late first
4 years to run - 2 firsts with a 3rd coming back.

Where the posturing between clubs will fall is on what firsts or what come back.

Currently Freo hold 8, 13, 16
Picks that may matter for Richmond are currently 21, 33, 39, 41, 51

Let’s leave future picks out of it, although if a deal is done they’re almost certain to feature.

I think par lies around 13, 16 with 33 coming back.

BUT Richmond will demand 8 and 13 and rightfully so. Perhaps in that scenario we could squeeze 21 back.

BUT Freo are certain to baulk at that asking price even with the coveted 21 coming back.

Hence games begin. Hypotheticals drawn up. The drama and intrigue for a week plus endless trade radio speculations.

Chad Warner does come into consideration.

If I’m Freo I’m placing pick 8 on the table and giving them 48 hours. Richmond won’t accept, but they had their chance. I’m then trading 8 to someone wanting to move up the draft for a late first and future first. Someone will pay that.

Freo are then armed with 13,16, 17~18 plus 2 future firsts.

Richmond can have 13 and 16 or 13 and a future first. We can have some token pick back, probably a future 4th or something equally non consequential.

I think it’s fair for both. What it will boil down to is how the pick 8 is used.

I don’t think Freo will want to give that and extras up and don’t think Richmond will accept just that.

Let the negotiations commence!
Using time bound offers are great when you can use it to your advantage.

But because Shai has 4 years on his contract and expressed he’s happy to stay if he isn’t traded, time is an advantage Richmond can use, not Freo. And taking their top pick off the table after 48 hours would only decrease their chances of securing him even further.

Now if Freo are interested and have convinced Shai to play for them, they will assure him that they have the collateral to get him across.

They wouldn’t burn their reputation assuring a player they could do so then play such stupid games to try to miss out on him altogether when they had collateral to get him in the first place.

Future players that Freo would be trying to entice to come to the club would be super hesitant to even bother to pick up the phone. They won’t do this, and there’s a reason why this theoretical negotiation tactic is rarely used in the AFL where reputation and trust are paramount.

Using time bound offers are great when you can use it to your advantage.

But because Shai has 4 years on his contract and expressed he’s happy to stay if he isn’t traded, time is an advantage Richmond can use, not Freo. And taking their top pick off the table after 48 hours would only decrease their chances of securing him even further.

Now if Freo are interested and have convinced Shai to play for them, they will assure him that they have the collateral to get him across.

They wouldn’t burn their reputation assuring a player they could do so then play such stupid games to try to miss out on him altogether when they had collateral to get him in the first place.

Future players that Freo would be trying to entice to come to the club would be super hesitant to even bother to pick up the phone. They won’t do this, and there’s a reason why this theoretical negotiation tactic is rarely used in the AFL where reputation and trust are paramount.

I’m pretty sure we get deals done buddy. We’ve paid up and bent over many times. That’s the one thing we have a track record of.

Picks have changed now from my initial post. Looks like 9,10 and ~17

But I’d still split 10 with a willing partner.

Richmond can have 9 and another first. We’ll squeeze what we want out of pick 10 from our end. If it MUST be 9 and 10, then I’ll assume Richmond pay a decent chunk of his contract or there’s other adds on towards Freo, future picks, a reduced requirement to add Baker etc.

I would think that the amount of media work being done from the Bolton side (as distinct from the Richmond or Fremantle sides) is showing the hand a bit.

Richmond and Freo are passengers in this. Bolton wants to come back to WA, Ryan Daniels has reported that he has approached the clubs.

Fremantle is heavily down the path with Chad Warner and that's where their focus will be.

The very interesting thing will be which of Richmond or Sydney want the top ten picks first, since both will probably walk away if the other gets them and neither will see anything close to two top ten picks end of 2025 for those same players.

So I'd expect Sydney to knock Richmond out of the door to get past them to Freo to make the trade first.

I would think that the amount of media work being done from the Bolton side (as distinct from the Richmond or Fremantle sides) is showing the hand a bit.

Richmond and Freo are passengers in this. Bolton wants to come back to WA, Ryan Daniels has reported that he has approached the clubs.

Fremantle is heavily down the path with Chad Warner and that's where their focus will be.

The very interesting thing will be which of Richmond or Sydney want the top ten picks first, since both will probably walk away if the other gets them and neither will see anything close to two top ten picks end of 2025 for those same players.

So I'd expect Sydney to knock Richmond out of the door to get past them to Freo to make the trade first.
There is no real reason for Chad to leave Sydney, more of a chance to stay. Unlike Bolton... he also offers what Chad doesn't have HUGE X-factor.
I think Bolton will for pick 10 & F1.

There is no real reason for Chad to leave Sydney, more of a chance to stay. Unlike Bolton... he also offers what Chad doesn't have HUGE X-factor.
I think Bolton will for pick 10 & F1.

I think Chad and Shai are fairly similar in terms of their expected impact at Fremantle in 2025. Both will spent stints forward, both in the middle, both give a burst and spark, Shai with some more leap.

Both kicking 30 odd goals this season. Both with WA partners.

9, 17 and future first (say 15) for Warner, 10 and 26 for Bolton.
Probably too light for both to be honest and I doubt we’d get much cap relief from the Tigers either with those picks which we would likely need to bring them both in.
I’m an eternal optimist though - if it happens I’m getting my “Flagmantle 2025” tattoo the day after trading closes !!🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m pretty sure we get deals done buddy. We’ve paid up and bent over many times. That’s the one thing we have a track record of.

Picks have changed now from my initial post. Looks like 9,10 and ~17

But I’d still split 10 with a willing partner.

Richmond can have 9 and another first. We’ll squeeze what we want out of pick 10 from our end. If it MUST be 9 and 10, then I’ll assume Richmond pay a decent chunk of his contract or there’s other adds on towards Freo, future picks, a reduced requirement to add Baker etc.
Buddy heh….

You are using negotiating tactics based on the clubs being transactional rather than a mutual partner they need to sustain a healthy long term relationship with.

This ain’t like going in and buying a car as a one off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back