Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say Bolton is a better player than Neale at the time he was traded. he had more impact than the Freo Neale.
At the Lions no doubt Neale has become the better player. but they are completely different type of players.

Nope. His last 4 years at Freo were roughly on par with what he has since produced at Brisbane. One of those years he set the H&A disposals record and received 20 Brownlow votes in a side that only won 4 games. It's just that most people over east would rarely watch us and mistakenly think Neale transformed into a much better player at Brisbane.

Nope. His last 4 years at Freo were roughly on par with what he has since produced at Brisbane. One of those years he set the H&A disposals record and received 20 Brownlow votes in a side that only won 4 games. It's just that most people over east would rarely watch us and mistakenly think Neale transformed into a much better player at Brisbane.
Let's be real, he's been better (as much due to stepping out of Fyfes shadow and hitting hus prime as anything IMO) at Brisbane or we would have gotten a lot more trade wise but he was elite when he left us all the same.

Neale was very underrated during his time with us, I'd argue from 2016-2018 before he left he was almost single handedly carrying our midfield during those years, he was in incredible form, he only got the credit for it at Brisbane though.

I think Bolton is good, but he's not worth more than what we gave Neale up for.

Let's be real, he's been better (as much due to stepping out of Fyfes shadow and hitting hus prime as anything IMO) at Brisbane or we would have gotten a lot more trade wise but he was elite when he left us all the same.
He’s been better, but nothing that wasn’t expected as he reached his peak. Like he’s had seasons at freo that are better than some of his Brisbane seasons but his peak at Brisbane has been better.

He hasn’t done anything for them that has exceeded my expectations. He got 20 votes in a 3 win season so he was always going to win a Brownlow too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a good team where he is not the soul focus and has tall forwards he can hang around, he can be a top 10 player in the league. 2022 showed that and we were a mediocre team that year.

Freo have a great midfield group that he could add some polish to. If he was out of contract, he worth two picks 8 - 15. With the contract then it would be 3 first rounders. They don't all need to come from Freo if we can get Brisbane in the deal with trade for points.

In a good team where he is not the soul focus and has tall forwards he can hang around, he can be a top 10 player in the league. 2022 showed that and we were a mediocre team that year.

Freo have a great midfield group that he could add some polish to. If he was out of contract, he worth two picks 8 - 15. With the contract then it would be 3 first rounders. They don't all need to come from Freo if we can get Brisbane in the deal with trade for points.
Two first rounders out of contract, three first rounders in contract?

Maybe you would get the highest trade value of all time if he had actually played like a top 10 player the past two years.
You don´t get it for hypothetical uplift.

Two first rounders out of contract, three first rounders in contract?

Maybe you would get the highest trade value of all time if he had actually played like a top 10 player the past two years.
You don´t get it for hypothetical uplift.
Last year he was still a top 15 - 25 player. This year with no support he has dropped away. He is never the player that will drag a side over the line, but he is a cream on top that can finish the build.

The deal for 3 first rounders would look like
Freo Out: 7, 16, 25
Freo In: Bolton

Brisbane Out: 17
Brisbane In: 25 and Richmond picks to make up points

Richmond Out: Bolton, enough 2nd & 3rd rounders for Brisbane
Richmond In: 7, 16, 17

Sydney are so mean, not letting you have one of their best players just because.

He’s leaving in 12 months. We could offer them 3 firsts and they wouldn’t budge. They’d rather roll the dice and see if they can change his mind in a years time. They don’t value picks because of the ludicrous “academy” they get. Also asking for cola again. A bigger salary cap and free draft picks. “Isn’t it amazing Sydney stay continuously competitive”.

He’s leaving in 12 months. We could offer them 3 firsts and they wouldn’t budge. They’d rather roll the dice and see if they can change his mind in a years time. They don’t value picks because of the ludicrous “academy” they get. Also asking for cola again. A bigger salary cap and free draft picks. “Isn’t it amazing Sydney stay continuously competitive”.
They're also in the window. No way you get rid of a player that can help you to a premiership now for future picks. Funnily enough Freo in exactly the opposite position with Bolton.

I am not saying Bolton was better, Neale was very good as an accumulator that lacked hurt factor, this was the same knock on him early at the lions, he then found another level and added goal kicking to his resume a bit more frequently.

That said, they are different players but add similar levels of importance.

Neale is the cake, you build around him, then when you are ready to challenge, you add the cherry on the top that you need to take the next step. You dont win flags without either type.

Last year he was still a top 15 - 25 player. This year with no support he has dropped away. He is never the player that will drag a side over the line, but he is a cream on top that can finish the build.

The deal for 3 first rounders would look like
Freo Out: 7, 16, 25
Freo In: Bolton

Brisbane Out: 17
Brisbane In: 25 and Richmond picks to make up points

Richmond Out: Bolton, enough 2nd & 3rd rounders for Brisbane
Richmond In: 7, 16, 17
In no world do you get 3 first rounders for Bolton

I am not saying Bolton was better, Neale was very good as an accumulator that lacked hurt factor, this was the same knock on him early at the lions, he then found another level and added goal kicking to his resume a bit more frequently.

That said, they are different players but add similar levels of importance.

Neale is the cake, you build around him, then when you are ready to challenge, you add the cherry on the top that you need to take the next step. You dont win flags without either type.
You sure?

I'll ignore his few seasons because he was developing and I reckon he played forward a bit which is unfair on the gpg comparisons (although its about the same anyway).

2015-2018 (Freo)
Games: 89
Disposals: 29.6
Clearances: 6.8
Goals: 0.53

2019 - 2024 (Lions)
Games: 132
Disposals: 28.5
Clearances: 7.2
Goals: 0.45

I think this it is unfair to include 2020 due to the shortened games.

Without 2020
Games: 113
Disposals: 28.8
Clearances: 7.5
Goals: 0.41

2020 is his best goal scoring year at 0.74 gpg. Great effort, especially in the shortened games. Has not repeated anywhere near this since (i.e. never outside of Covid). His 3 other best goal scoring seasons all happened at Fremantle 0.67.

He averages less disposals and kicks less goals over his time there compared to his last 4 seasons at Freo. He averages more clearances. He was already the player he is at the Lions at least 3 years before he left Freo.

The best you could say was he had 1 clear season above his own baseline and that was during Covid at the Lions. How you judge that is up to you but I'm not buying this crap that he went to another level. He was already there.

In no world do you get 3 first rounders for Bolton
Contracted player that the club views as essential. As a supporter, I would take 2 firsts and run for the hills before anyone else has time to think. I would be surprised if a deal like the one I mentioned gets done where Freo gives up 2 firsts and 1 second for Bolton and Richmond sends back a third rounder or something back.

I have a feeling Richmond would play hardball on him because of that contract. I don't think there has been a contracted player that is viewed as so 'essential' to the team they want to leave actually leave mid contract. As they say, possession is 9/10 the law.

Lastly I believe we will be dealing with Brisbane to get their first because I think at present they can only match a pick at like pick 9 or so (with f/s discount) for Ashcroft. I am not sure they will want to go into deficit next year if those changes to points and all that go through. With a deal like this, the Tigers don't have to give up as much from our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round hoard of picks.

Looking at the stats sheet when comparing Neale to Bolton will not give you any insights

There are 20 players around as good as Neale in the AFL in doing his job, back then and now.

There are probably 3 max players in the league that can perform at Shai's level at his job

That's why Shai coming into his prime is going to worth alot more than Neale

You sure?

I'll ignore his few seasons because he was developing and I reckon he played forward a bit which is unfair on the gpg comparisons (although its about the same anyway).

2015-2018 (Freo)
Games: 89
Disposals: 29.6
Clearances: 6.8
Goals: 0.53

2019 - 2024 (Lions)
Games: 132
Disposals: 28.5
Clearances: 7.2
Goals: 0.45

I think this it is unfair to include 2020 due to the shortened games.

Without 2020
Games: 113
Disposals: 28.8
Clearances: 7.5
Goals: 0.41

2020 is his best goal scoring year at 0.74 gpg. Great effort, especially in the shortened games. Has not repeated anywhere near this since (i.e. never outside of Covid). His 3 other best goal scoring seasons all happened at Fremantle 0.67.

He averages less disposals and kicks less goals over his time there compared to his last 4 seasons at Freo. He averages more clearances. He was already the player he is at the Lions at least 3 years before he left Freo.

The best you could say was he had 1 clear season above his own baseline and that was during Covid at the Lions. How you judge that is up to you but I'm not buying this crap that he went to another level. He was already there.
Well I was sure haha

What if you take out 2024 as he hasnt had the same fanfare this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back