Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

1 year. We've been in this situation. "Brad Hill is contracted for 2 more years, I want 2 x top 10 picks".

The problem is, Brad Hill just isn't that good and a list manager goes "Can I find a better player/s with those two top 10 picks?".

So whatever Richmond ask for, we'll ask ourselves the same thing. If the answer is yes, the trade doesn't happen.

But it won't come to that with Shai, because unless the Tigers think they can change his mind and get him to stay, this is by far the best year to trade him to us because of our draft hand. Odds are it won't be this good again for a while.
The reality is, with those picks, the law of averages says a player at those picks probably wont be better :(

Goes for both of us.

The reality is, with those picks, the law of averages says a player at those picks probably wont be better :(

Goes for both of us.
I'd back our recruiters to hit at least once with 9 and 10. Not sure what yours are like? I'd be happy to part with both for salary relief included.

Also, Shai has 6-7 years max left at his best. Probably less. While he likely is better than who you select at either pick, the chances of his best contributing to a flag for you are very low.

I'd back our recruiters to hit at least once with 9 and 10. Not sure what yours are like? I'd be happy to part with both for salary relief included.

Also, Shai has 6-7 years max left at his best. Probably less. While he likely is better than who you select at either pick, the chances of his best contributing to a flag for you are very low.
Oh dont get me wrong, we need 2 very good players over one star in our current situation and in this draft we should get that, but thats more likely with picks 9-10 rather than 9-17

I would think we would gladly contribute to his wage for the 2 early picks and expect we offer the same at GC with Rioli

But your window is approaching now…
What you need to choose is wether it’s more beneficial to bring in more kids now and having to wait for them to develop and reach their peak or bring in elite ready to go talent now that might just give you a push to the promised land… in Fyfe’s last year?

Oh dont get me wrong, we need 2 very good players over one star in our current situation and in this draft we should get that, but thats more likely with picks 9-10 rather than 9-17

I would think we would gladly contribute to his wage for the 2 early picks and expect we offer the same at GC with Rioli
Hard to disagree, but if there ever was a draft to have confidence about picks 15-25 its this year. Nobody is talking up the top end (soz about pick 1) but everyone is foaming about 5-30.

2 x firsts for Bolton is fair, 1 x first for Baker is overs.
How about if we're paying a big chunk of Boltons salary? This year and last we've lost Cotch, Dusty, Jack, Grimes. Probably going to lose Shai and Rioli as well. We're really going to struggle to get to 95% for a few years.

Hard to disagree, but if there ever was a draft to have confidence about picks 15-25 its this year. Nobody is talking up the top end (soz about pick 1) but everyone is foaming about 5-30.
Yeah your apology doesnt help mate haha

We do take solace in the apparent depth and given we have so many holes to fil, best available is easier to target than filling needs.

Salary cap space for picks is a very underrated strategy …. Legally paying more than the salary cap!!!! What’s that worth in picks?

Salary cap space for picks is a very underrated strategy …. Legally paying more than the salary cap!!!! What’s that worth in picks?
To a team to ready contend, you would think alot.

But your window is approaching now…
What you need to choose is wether it’s more beneficial to bring in more kids now and having to wait for them to develop and reach their peak or bring in elite ready to go talent now that might just give you a push to the promised land… in Fyfe’s last year?
This isn't our last trade of all time. You can't set a precedence of paying well overs otherwise you get bent over forever.

We're no doubt very interested, but we'll draw a line somewhere (IMO 9 + 10 with something decent back). The club messaging and club mouthpiece messaging (Ryan Daniels) is very clear about this in the media already.

This isn't our last trade of all time. You can't set a precedence of paying well overs otherwise you get bent over forever.

We're no doubt very interested, but we'll draw a line somewhere (IMO 9 + 10 with something decent back). The club messaging and club mouthpiece messaging (Ryan Daniels) is very clear about this in the media already.
I wonder if 9/10 for Shai and 22 gets discussed?

To a team to ready contend, you would think alot.
Well we agree to take JoM (with significant salary contribution) from the Hawks for a 2nd and Meek which is looking diabolical at this point. So I'd say a million is worth at least a good 2nd and possibly a late first. To be fair, Meek wasn't that valuable at the time.

Yeah your apology doesnt help mate haha

We do take solace in the apparent depth and given we have so many holes to fil, best available is easier to target than filling needs.

I reckon you're odds on to have someone other than pick 1 be the best player you pick. If Freo history is anything to go by, it will be the guy taken with one of our picks.

I wonder if 9/10 for Shai and 22 gets discussed?

Yeah that's the exact areas I reckon this ends up. Maybe we counter one last time from there but I wouldn't be surprised at that result.

Well we agree to take JoM (with significant salary contribution) from the Hawks for a 2nd and Meek which is looking diabolical at this point. So I'd say a million is worth at least a good 2nd and possibly a late first. To be fair, Meek wasn't that valuable at the time.

I reckon you're odds on to have someone other than pick 1 be the best player you pick. If Freo history is anything to go by, it will be the guy taken with one of our picks.

Yeah that's the exact areas I reckon this ends up. Maybe we counter one last time from there but I wouldn't be surprised at that result.
Its impossible to place a pick value on salary contributions, it would be specific to every club based on a myriad of circumstances.

And yeah we all fully expect our pick 1 to not be the best player from the draft :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its impossible to place a pick value on salary contributions, it would be specific to every club based on a myriad of circumstances.

And yeah we all fully expect our pick 1 to not be the best player from the draft :(
To be fair to you guys, they almost never are.

They are also very rarely a complete bust.

There’s no negotiations apparently. Just mutual respect and an agreed trade based on skittles and unicorns, but no negotiations.

Jeez, read a book!
Sorry I forgot where I am, Jeez, relax bro.

Goes for both of us.

Don't know about that. Clubs, Freo being a main offender, often read the room incorrectly. Better these days now Bell has restricted authority on these negotiations.
Lachie Weller for Brayshaw etc. Picks aren't easy but this draft looks very exciting if you are a Melbourne based club on the rebound. Richmond should help Shai pack his bags, he's won 2 flags, and Freo have to win one soon or they will be flagless history forever imo

Will be first and last first rounders.

If baker comes too, it muddies the water, but would potentially just be a player, or whatever we get for that player.
I think Baker is more likely to go to West Coast.
I've always believed it. and a lot journo's believe it too.

Tiger fans can you tell me what Taranto went for and whether your happy/unhappy about it?

Picks 12 and 19, ended up being 14 and 22. Great business on our end but GWS aren’t known for holding other clubs to ransom because they have so much young talent.

So yeah, picks 9 and 17 for Bolton would be a very good chance of ending up in your favour. We should make you obtain a top 5 pick and then it’s on us if we don’t draft a gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back