Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

9 & 27 for him. Even Caroline Wilson for goodness sake’s says he isn’t worth 2 first rounders. That leaves 10 and 17 for Warner and if that falls through, add baker with the 17.

Bolton and Warner in the same off season would be huge and I believe we have the picks to just make it happen. We also have Erasmus, Sturt and Brodie to throw in as sweeteners. Erasmus being a previous top 10 pick.

Is Peter Bell still the Dockers list manager?

If so..

1724767056645.png

I've done some back of the envelope calculations which I posted on our board and think we can get Warner and Bolton, but like you say it needs a large contribution from Richmond. And we can't get Baker, and/or there may be some collateral damage with losing current best 22 players. But it won't be Brayshaw.

I was thinking we'd give up 9+10 and Richmond pay 400k. But I don't think we have to go crazy with 3 x firsts and get Richmond paying 600k+.

We would have had the room for Warner and Baker before the Bolton news dropped. So if we put Baker in the bin, then we might only need to find a few hundred K for Bolton. There are rumours Switta and Sturt are on the move, so that would be something a bit unexpected (and/or forced) and we can replace them with rookies/cheaper options to push the Baker money up to get Bolton.
We will see.

You can only back end so much cash.

If you had to pick one Warner or Bolton who would you pick?

Because it’s unplanned I just can see a circumstance that you can add both and not lose a significant player otherwise like 40% of your cap is going to like 4 players and then then next 10 get 40% and even if the rest of your list is on lowest possible still doesn’t work out.

I know TPP goes up, but with all the young guns going through you are putting all that groups re-signing at risk…..

Hahahaha came on here to see the Freo fans try to contort TPP to squeeze in $2.5m per year extra for Warner and Bolton and wasn’t disappointed.

Only way this makes any sense is for Richmond to take on >50% of Boltons wage and at that point you are looking at all 3 firsts….
Wonder if Freo fans will start to see sense soon. We can afford to take on a huge portion of his wage (for 2 years) if it means getting more picks in the door. We won't be paying anyone else.

So assuming Brisbane keen to trade pick 14 for points if Freo and Richmond trade all if their picks in 20s and 40s to Brisbane that could bring pick 14 into play.

So Richmond can get 3 1sts
Freo get to keep a 1st
Freo get Bolton with Richmond paying significant salary
Freo sign Brayshaw long term
We can get Brisbane's 14 without Freo's help. The Bolton deal is separate.

GC trade 6 and 20
Richmond trade 39, 47 (Lombard points) and Rioli (pay full salary in 2025 and half in 2026)

Freo trade 9, 10, 17, 27
Richmond trade 20 + Bolton (front-end his contract and Richmond pay his full salary in 2025 and half salary in 2026)

Freo get a key piece of their premiership puzzle, paying lower salary, while keeping a 1st round pick to enable possible 2025 trades for Warner
Richmond get 2 mid-1sts, an upgrade on a late 1st, and a 2nd rounder as compensation for losing a 4-year contracted dual premiership player who's a star in the right team

Leaves Richmond with 27, 29, 41, and 57 to trade to Brisbane for 14

Sorry I meant excluding your pick 21. Think Brisbane would get more than your later picks but maybe I’m wrong.

Assumed using our pick 27 and keeping your pick 21 would be better for you.
We will want to keep 21. It's incredibly valuable to have the first pick on night 2 of the draft, especially this year when the draft is still very strong up until pick 25-30. There's a possibility of getting a future 1st rounder for 21.

Man the value of salary being thrown around is ridiculous, I think its justified, but its still ridiculous.
Surely they have to bring in a limit of how much salary a club can buy, it probably wont be until after a club wins a premiership with it

We will want to keep 21. It's incredibly valuable to have the first pick on night 2 of the draft, especially this year when the draft is still very strong up until pick 25-30. There's a possibility of getting a future 1st rounder for 21.
That was my point. I think you would need 27 and 29 to get Brisbane talking not 29 and picks in 40s.

Man the value of salary being thrown around is ridiculous, I think its justified, but its still ridiculous.
Surely they have to bring in a limit of how much salary a club can buy, it probably wont be until after a club wins a premiership with it
I’m sure if it is heavily exploited by a West Australian club the loophole will soon be closed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC trade 6 and 20
Richmond trade 39, 47 (Lombard points) and Rioli (pay full salary in 2025 and half in 2026)

Freo trade 9, 10, 17, 27
Richmond trade 20 + Bolton (front-end his contract and Richmond pay his full salary in 2025 and half salary in 2026)

Freo get a key piece of their premiership puzzle, paying lower salary, while keeping a 1st round pick to enable possible 2025 trades for Warner
Richmond get 2 mid-1sts, an upgrade on a late 1st, and a 2nd rounder as compensation for losing a 4-year contracted dual premiership player who's a star in the right team

Leaves Richmond with 27, 29, 41, and 57 to trade to Brisbane for 14
GC trade 13 + 20 for Rioli + 29 (GC uses pick 6 themselves; Rioli valued at pick 9)

Freo trade 9, 17 + 27 for Bolton, 20 + 39 (Freo keeps one of 9 or 10 for Bo Allan; minor pick swap to facilitate the Brisbane trade; Bolton valued at pick 6)

West Coast trade 23 for Baker

Pick 22 received for Jack Graham (band 3)

Brisbane trade 14 + 52 for 23 + 27

Leaves Richmond with 1, 9, 13, 14, 17, 21, 22, 41, 47, 52 to use or swap. I don't see any other trade partners in the top 10. Maybe St Kilda if they receive band 1 compensation for Battle.

GC trade 13 + 20 for Rioli + 29 (GC uses pick 6 themselves; Rioli valued at pick 9)

Freo trade 9, 17 + 27 for Bolton, 20 + 39 (Freo keeps one of 9 or 10 for Bo Allan; minor pick swap to facilitate the Brisbane trade; Bolton valued at pick 6)

West Coast trade 23 for Baker

Pick 22 received for Jack Graham (band 3)

Brisbane trade 14 + 52 for 23 + 27

Leaves Richmond with 1, 9, 13, 14, 17, 21, 22, 41, 47, 52 to use or swap. I don't see any other trade partners in the top 10. Maybe St Kilda if they receive band 1 compensation for Battle.
So Richmond essentially pony up Bolton, Rioli, Baker and 39 and get 9, 17 and 23?

Haha where do we sign?

Unfortunately we have a group of supporters who would be happy if we went to the draft every single year so we can keep saying we have "so much potential" as we are young.
Or are conscious of the salary cap and don’t want to repeat the Neale episode and push out a brayshaw to fit a 900k flanker

Wonder if Freo fans will start to see sense soon. We can afford to take on a huge portion of his wage (for 2 years) if it means getting more picks in the door. We won't be paying anyone else.

What does Bolton do that makes him more worth more than say one top 10 pick?

What makes Bolton worth more than 800k a year?

To me he is 30 to 35 goal a year forward with as many behinds as goals, who kicked 40+ goals in the year before he was going into free agency to get Richmond to pay him a bit more.

He is also poor defensively.

Haha yeah im sure this will be the way it all goes down.

Well I’m certain it won’t. I know you’re being sarcastic. People are allowed to throw up scenarios, that’s the fun isn’t it?

Otherwise let’s just all hit pause and discuss after trade week?

What ends up happening from your end? Put it out there.

For what it’s worth, here was my suggestions on our board.

Gold Coast have 6,13 and 20
Freo 9,10 and 17
Richmond Bolton and Rioli

Here I go:

GC give 6, 20 get Rioli and 17 left with 13,17 values Rioli at ~8

Freo give 9,10,17 get Bolton, 20 and Richmond’s future 2nd values Bolton at ~4

Richmond give Bolton, Rioli future 2nd get 6,9,10

Sprinkle all sorts of later round picks or later round future picks around.

We still have a pick in the first round albeit the last one.

The alternative is sub out 10 for our future first, which would clearly be preferred but I think Tigers will go hard at 9 and 10.

Maybe swap 17 with our future first.

Thoughts?

For us - it means giving up 9 and 10. A 3 pick downgrade late in the first round. Getting Bolton and Richmond’s future 2nd.

I’m aware giving up 6 would seem crazy for GC. This was based around Richmond WANTING 6,9 and 10

Well I’m certain it won’t. I know you’re being sarcastic. People are allowed to throw up scenarios, that’s the fun isn’t it?

Otherwise let’s just all hit pause and discuss after trade week?

What ends up happening from your end? Put it out there.
Rioli for pick 6 and we are probably paying a portion of the next couple of years in his contract.

Bolton for 9 and 10 and we probably pay a high percentage of his contract for the next two years.

Baker to Freo for 17 or West Coast for their second rounder.

Now put yours on the line….

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back