Traded Shannon Byrnes (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: No.17 Shannon Byrnes

Goood luck sunday shannon... Break a leg!!

So travis can play!!!!

not really! Go Shannon GO!!!!
Show everyone how quick u can move your stumps!!

byrnes1.gif

Outlook
The speedy left-footer was in and out of the Cats’ line-up in 2008, playing nine games but didn’t appear in the finals after playing in the 2007 premiership side. Played the last four games of the home and away season but was squeezed out by players returning from injury. Will have to make the most of his opportunities in 2009.

SEASON BY SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

Played nine games (9-0) but was an emergency for all three finals
50th AFL game came in rd 11 vs. Nth Melb, an 11 point win
Kicked career best three goals in a game twice, vs. Carlton and vs. Sydney
Finished 3rd in Cats VFL best & fairest

Played in AFL grand final, earning premiership medal
Kicked one goal in the grand final
Played 12 senior games (10-2) including all three finals

Member of NAB Cup winning grand final team
Equaled a career best with 24 disposals in rd 19 vs. St Kilda

Played 19 of 22 home & away games (11-8) but was emergency for the finals
Established a career high with 24 possessions vs. Eagles in rd 2. Got two Brownlow votes in that game
Claimed NAB rising star nominee

AFL debut came in rd 16 vs. Sydney at Skilled Stadium. His late 50m goal gave the Cats the lead and went on to win by 15 points
Played four games (4-0)
Played for VFL vs WAFL in state game

Was in line for senior selection when he suffered a shoulder injury late in season
Finished 3rd in Cats VFL best & fairest

Represented Vic Country at U18 national championships
Played TAC Cup with Murray Bushrangers
Selected by Cats in rookie draft

Played TAC Cup with Murray Bushrangers

Re: No 17. Shannon Byrnes

ASK Shannon Byrnes how he feels about his form these days and the immediate response is almost a sigh of relief.
"Yeah, rapt just to be playing consistent (footy) I suppose, and holding my spot in the side, not in and out as obviously has been the case the last few years," he said.
Six seasons into a career that includes a premiership medal, the 25-year-old is finally putting together the sort of footy he's always hoped to and has made the biggest strides than in any other season at Skilled Stadium.
Actually getting his hands on the ball has never really been an issue for him, it's what he's done with it that has left him battling on the fringe of the senior team.
His past two games - separated by a week out with a hamstring strain - has seen him named in Geelong's best players.
Importantly, he's winning the mental battle now as much as he's winning the physical one.
"I think I'm just in a better place in my mind now when I'm out on the field, I sort of feel a bit more comfortable than I used to," Byrnes said.
"I used to cough it up a bit, but I seem to have a bit more time out on the ground now and obviously with the boys playing well it makes it a lot easier to play well, as well."
A thorough pre-season and a maturing body have meant Byrnes is no longer tiring as quickly, which in turn is improving his disposal.
"I suppose I'm maturing a bit. My body's handled longer periods (of game time)," Byrnes said.
"I was more a burst player, where I'd come on for spurts, and if you don't play well in those bursts then you don't play well, pretty much.
"But now I'm able to stay out on the ground for longer periods of time, it gives you a bit more of a chance to get yourself involved in the game, and whether it be even just defensive pressure rather than getting your hands on the footy, it's about how you get involved and I think that's helping me play better."
Byrnes' disposal efficiency so far this season is 77 per cent, which, although he's had less possessions, is comparable to midfielders Gary Ablett (76 per cent), Joel Selwood (76), Jimmy Bartel (73) and Joel Corey (72).
In every season in his career, Byrnes has finished the year having kicked more behinds than goals. This season he's kicked 10.4.
This year Byrnes, Mathew Stokes and Travis Varcoe have played six of the first 10 games of the season together - already more games than they've played together in any season before.
In the past, there seemed to only be two spots for those smaller, pressuring players, but not anymore.
"Over the last couple of years I suppose that's tended to be the case, but I think the last few weeks have proven that the three of us can rotate together and work pretty well," Byrnes said.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/06/04/75555_gfc.html

Re: No 17. Shannon Byrnes

[youtube]OVz-2K6Iw3U[/youtube]

Never thought I would be seeing a Shannon Byrnes highlight package!

Had a very good year.

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back! (Nine senior players remain

# 2 Billie Smedts

Height - 189cm Weight - 79kgs
Drafted 2010 - pick 15, 2011 Games - 0

The knock about young kid from Warrnambool who's father Alby played VFL for the Saints and Bulldogs entered season 2011 hoping to break into the senior side as a utility player capable of playing as either a medium sized forward or back, with the feeling that the club may have ear marked him for a position in the back half and for awhile pre-season for 2011 started looking promising for our #15 pick in the 2010 draft until early 2011 when during pre-season training he started to notice some pain in his back. Scans lead to the discovery in early May that Billie had a issue with bone spurs on his hip joints that would require surgery to correct.

The surgery was completed successfully and was at the time expected to see a 12 week recovery time but the club thinking of Billie's long term health decided to have him sit out for the year and allow him to fully recover in time to be right to take part in all the pre-season training for season 2012.

Billie has joined the players as part of the training camp at Falls Creek and has been taking part in all of the drills and sessions in a bid to impress the selection committee in hopes of being able to get a game in 2012 something that all Cat fans look forward to seeing.

"I feel like I'm starting my career with Geelong now," Smedts said.

"The first thing is just to get through the pre-season and get my body in the best shape I can, so that when the NAB Cup comes around I can hopefully put my hand up and get a few games.

"I hope I can show some things to 'Scotty' [Cats coach Chris Scott] that he likes, so he'll put me in the team for round one, which would be a nice little reward."

Smedlts in a recent interview with GFC.com.au on his pre-season so far

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back! (Nine senior players remain

Shannon Byrnes – 104 games, 99goals, 2 premiership medallions

Put your hand up which group are you in?

Group A sees real value here. A pocket rocket in the must play category – links up – provides defensive pressure – goal a game player.

Group B sees the number 17 as cause for despair . Head disappears into hands as he lines up for goal or is forced towards the boundary on his right side.

There can be no fence sitting with Shannon Byrnes you either love him or he drives you nuts.

Byrnes got the call to join the hoops in 2002. The country lad (Shepparton) accepted the offer of a place on the GFC’s rookie list and the journey began. At 175cm and “a bit” one sided, it was a bold choice by Geelong’s recruiting staff.

Byrnes spent the necessary year in the VFL in 2003 – (third in VFL B&F) before making his senior debut in 2004 vs Sydney .

2005 and 2006 saw Byrnes star.
Well in Bigfooty forums anyway, as posters vented their frustration or praise for this lightning quick fumbler. No one was able to resist taking a side. On the one hand Byrnes was just what the modern game required- grass blistering speed and the endurance to be involved all over the ground – and often. He had very quick hands and the ability to move the ball on to advantage with deft touches. In fact if you didn’t whatch closely you missed a lot of the good stuff.

The bad stuff stood out clearly for all to see. How many times did your head disappear into your hands as Byrnes got trapped on his right and refused to use it? Sometimes he turned back into traffic only to be nailed … hard. Turnover.
Then there was goal kicking. You could see Shannon concentrating so hard on set shots that he would tense and miss ….almost every time. Shots on the run got sprayed. Fingernails were being destroyed all over the state watching Shannon in action.

2007 was a watershed. For the GFC and all its longsuffering supporters. Shannon was just Shannon for another season and won his way back into the senior side and played in all three finals. He had a premiership medallion but people who like to talk footy and decide on a player’s value were still arguing his worth.

2008-2009 saw Shannon begin to blossom. OK 2008 was not a lot different but hauls of multiple goals became more frequent and he was able to find a way to get the ball between the biggies. He was emergency for the granny (some say we lacked leg speed that day!). 2009 and Byrnes finds his feet and establishes himself as a better than handy small forward. Third in the B&F, 35 goals and a last quarter of the grand final that is hard to forget. His endurance and speed repeatedly allowed him to break away and pump the ball forward. Medallion number two sat easily on his chest.

2010 Byrnes had another very good year. 35 goals, high tackle count, high possession season. His polish began to show especially as he became a reliable shot at goal. He was getting value for effort.

2011 Injury plagued what could have been a great year for the little bloke.

2012 at 27 Shannon has much to offer. He will need to keep improving however as Cowan, Motlop, Shredder and others begin to press for places and Varcoe and Stokes mature. Byrnes though, has that rare turn of speed and the ability to get to the ball in open space and move it on efficiently that cannot be taught. In fact should he ever realize how much talent he has ( and he learns to kick 20m on his right) he could surprise even this admirer.

The fact such an accomplished player could not make it into the 2011 premiership team says volumes for depth at the GFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back