Shaun Rehn

Remove this Banner Ad

servo

All Australian
Apr 29, 2000
adelaide
Anybody want him?

What are Adelaide likely to get in return?

Is Ayres to blame?

How long will he last?

Will Adelaide miss him?

Who is Shaun Rehn?

Anybody got some answers?

Rehn, one of the best ruckmen ive seen. Behind only Dempsey and Madden (really cant split those two). If the Hawks were (and its looking fairly likely at this stage) to somehow pick him up *NOT FOR CHICK THOUGH* through trades/draft picks, im ready to take the punt. I still think he is good for at least two/three years. Yes the knees are a factor, but really he was desperatly unlucky with the rubber pad that did his 'good knee' and the other knees have been sound since the 2nd reco.

A gamble yes, but with the thin ruck stocks at the Hawks one i think they may be prepared to take.

How about.....

Rehn to Hawthorn
Chick to West Coast (sorry Grendel, but's gaining momentum)
Gehrig to Collingwood
Sav(!) to Bulldogs (surely if A Jarman suggested it there must be some merit?
wink.gif
)
Darcy to Adelaide.....
+ any 'minor' players and draft picks incorporated.

Opinion here is that Fraser is days away from signing a contract with the Pies (Mick's been here this weekend), in a deal involving 5 clubs (including Hawthorn). The worry is still just who Collingwood have to trade.

Time will tell.

I would love to have Shaun Rehn at St Kilda.

Despite his age being somewhat similar to Monkhorst who was clearly finished before we took him, Rehn could very well turn out to be a Paul Salmon and play for another 3 or 4 years.

Yes, he has had 3 knee reconstructions. However, that is three years that the rest of his body has not sufferred from the wear and tear of AFL footy.

The article from the AFL website suggested we were the frontrunners for him because we have the first pick in the preseason draft. Whether this is the case is another question. And I doubt the crows would be stupid enough to let him go for nothing.

In my opinion, he would be an excellent recruit but there is always going to be a question mark over his knees.

Rehn was a good player before his injuries but is now just a huge risk..a risk not worth taking..but wait..the down and out clubs will fight over him..give away early draft picks
and end up with nothing but a crock who cant jump..if the Crows end up with Luke Darcy they will be the big winners

PS Anyone want an Ex Essendon Dud called Calthorpe..maybe Hawthorn can add to their collection ie Barry not so Young and not so good.

Go Roos

Please someone take Calthorpe. Rehn is probably a bit of a risk, but he is still a fine player, who could be of value to the Hawks.

The latest I have heard is that Collingwood will be offering Mal Michael plus draft picks to secure Gehrig.

Another recruiting stuff-up from Collingwood.

Haven't they learned from the Schauble experience ?

Mal Michael is one of their best players, I cannot for the life of me believe that even the hapless twits in charge of recruiting at Victoria Park would be so dumb as to risk so much for a player such as Fraser Gehrig.

Fast foward now - its Round 6, 2001 Collingwood has just lost its sixth straight game, this time against Sydney. Mal Michael has kicked 4 goals in a workman-like win for the Swans while Andrew Schauble restricts a half-fit and seemingly disinterested Fraser Gehrig to 2 handballs and 1 kick.

Don't laugh Pies fans - it will happen.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY, YOUR GOOD PLAYERS OR YOUR DRAFT PICKS ON FRASER GEHRIG.

Its not too late - tell Judkins, McGuire and Malthouse to stop - NOW.

Trading Schauble wasn't a mistake.

He was finished at Collingwood. If Leon Davis realises his potential it will be a win-win trade.

I don't know how many times you've seen Mal Michael play but my description of him would be a poor man's Fraser Gehrig. He is even more inconsistent than Gehrig. I'd take that trade.

You are more than welcome to him Jaffa (and this NOT sour grapes because Sydney look to have missed out)

If the powers that be down at Collingwood really, really think that Gehrig is worth :

-$500,000 a season
-2 priority draft picks, and,
-Mal Michael

then good luck to you.

If I am wrong, I'm sure all you guys will be lining up to shoot me down but I don't think I am wrong.

He is just not worth it - look at what your club is prepared to sacrifice in order to get him - and I thought McGuire was a shrewd businessman ?

Hmmmm.

We haven't got any priority picks to trade. From my understanding our fist two selections at the draft won't be sacrificed.

As for his contract, we have to pay someone the money. The AFL rules state that.

I know he's inconsistent and if we did,as you said, trade Mal Michael and our first pick (3rd overall) then I wouldn't be too happy. Yet my mail is that won't be the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be very strange & sad to see Rehny playing for someone else. I wish I could be charitable & say good luck but stuff him. I wont say what I hope happens, you can guess.

Anyhow now we have to get something for him. If we don't then someone at the Adelaide Footy Club should pay big time for letting this situation occur.

The latest I've heard is Rehn to Hawthorn, Chick to West Coast, Gehric to Collingwood & Michael & Sav to Adelaide.

I don't watch Collingwood much so I don't know much about Michael. Can he play?

While a few 'ready-made' players haven't been that great at Hawthorn. The Fish, Woodsy, Lord and Rock have been very useful.

That outweighs the others in my estimation. And the Rookie recruiting has been very good

Hawks fans should take note that Ablett and Tuck played well in the VFL ressies PF, and Greene is already the second pick next year.

I know what id like to feed Young or is that to WHO id like to feed Young.......

The Chick for Rehn doesnt hold water. No matter whats being said, Chick is either going to win or be runner up (to Holland) at the Hawks this year. Does anyone really think that we would trade (even if he wants to leave)for a ruckman (a good one but with dodgy knees and 30 years old) who has already walked from his club. Maybe if the Coasters or Freo held the first or second choice in the pre-season and the risk was that they would get nothing for him. But that isnt the case and so its very unlikely to happen.

Pess,

I think you might have a winner with Steven Greene. I know that the saints have tried to woo him across to Moorabbin but he was too young/wasn't born when Russell played for the saints and the kid grew up as a fanatical hawks supporter.

It is a similar situation between Richmond and Collingwood in their chase for Jason Cloke.

Now when Robert Harvey's son is ready in 16 years time, he is OURS!
biggrin.gif

Why are sons of former St Kilda players so keen NOT to play for the Saints. Macintosh, Lawrence and Greene?

Don
I'll give you 3 guesses though most people would only need one.
Sorry Sainter I'm not putting your team down, I've always had a soft spot for the Saints, I was just answering Dons ?.

------------------
Mantis

I will give you all some perfectly good reasons why the above players did not choose to play for St Kilda.

MCINTOSH - Spent his whole life in WA. Why wouldn't he want to play for a local side?Besides, his Dad was a St Kilda great but was homesick and went back to WA. Also, if a team wants to draft a player under the father/son rule, it has to be used as a second round pick. Can anyone tell me what number McIntosh was drafted by the eagles? A VERY late draft pick if my memory serves me correct.

LAWRENCE - Same reason. He had lived in Queensland his whole life. Why would he not want to play for the local Queensland side? All his Dad had to do was sit on the bench for one game. As a 16/17 year old kid, he had the luxury of not having to move to the other side of the country like most kids. I thought it was fairly obvious that he would make the most of the opportunity to stay home and play for Brisbane

GREENE - His Dad was a premiership hero at Hawthorn while he played for a team that were pretty much last all decade in the 1980's at St Kilda. And remember, his Dad played for our team before he was born. Steven grew up as a Hawthorn fanatic and idolised many of the Hawthorn greats. So once again, he was always going to play for Hawthorn if he had the opportunity.

Yes, it always easy to take pot shots at a team like St Kilda. Especially coming off a season where we have finished last again. Just do not think that we will lie down and accept it.

And with the petty bickering between supporters of different clubs in here recently, I am a very proud St Kilda supporter and always will be.

Good riddance.
wink.gif

Shaun Rehn seems to be one of those sportspeople who play for the love of the game, rather than for supporters, team mates, media or anyone else. I get the impression he can’t understand why anyone should be interested in how he plays or what he does.

The only difference between this year and last is Gary Ayres. If he is disenfranchisng senior players then it’s terrible news for the club. It’s sad to know Rehn will never play for Adelaide again and it will be a shock to see him in another team’s jumper and, worse, playing against us. It also appears Adelaide won’t receive any decent compensation for him, which just makes his departure even worse. Fortunately we have depth in ruck, but losing a champion because he’s unhappy at the club is a terrible thing. Ayres won’t last long at this rate.

Can you imagine how incongruous it will be when Shaun Rehn plays at Football Park next season and is roundly booed? Many booed Modra, who was ousted by the club, so what will they do to Rehn? I don’t think I could stand that.

To Daniel. I'm disappointed that Rehn has chosen to leave, but I'm not sure Ayres is completely to blame. No-one really knows what's going on down at Crow Land, but I've heard rumours that Rehn has been very bad-tempered this year, after coming back from his third knee re-con. If he has a problem with the Coach, and this is affecting his relationships with other players, then he has to go. The Coach/team is bigger than one player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaun Rehn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back