Should players stop running during their goal celebrations?

Remove this Banner Ad

HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just watching Tom Papleys celebration after kicking that goal from 50 today, he exploded in to a full pelt sprint to celebrate the goal.

If I'm a coach, I'd be happy he kicked the goal, but I think I'd also be slightly concerned about taking the celebration too far. He could easily have pinged a hamstring, pulled a calf, snapped his achilles, anything. Not even to start about conserving energy for when the ball is in play.

Why are players expending so much effort on their celebrations rather than saving their energy for the actual match? I think the players need to reign themselves in a bit and save their legs, so to speak. Celebrate in a way that doesn't expend energy or lead to a risk of injury.

Let's start tackling the real issues.

Just watching Tom Papleys celebration after kicking that goal from 50 today, he exploded in to a full pelt sprint to celebrate the goal.

If I'm a coach, I'd be happy he kicked the goal, but I think I'd also be slightly concerned about taking the celebration too far. He could easily have pinged a hamstring, pulled a calf, snapped his achilles, anything. Not even to start about conserving energy for when the ball is in play.

Why are players expending so much effort on their celebrations rather than saving their energy for the actual match? I think the players need to reign themselves in a bit and save their legs, so to speak. Celebrate in a way that doesn't expend energy or lead to a risk of injury.

Cheers, Kano

Handstand?

And it did occur to me as Geelong mounted a late flurry that Papley would have looked pretty stupid if they'd lost.

If he'd played in the 70s one of his teammates would have left him with a black eye after the game.
Oh yeah, it was a handstand. I knew it was something like that.

Yeah lol, over-celebration comes with a risk of looking stupid if things go wrong

Players can celebrate how they want, put a sock in it.

On a more serious note I’m always amused when a player sprints off, after being gassed. I know you need a quick rotation (although there is plenty of time after goals), but it’s funny watching a player exhausted give their last effort to…get to the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players can celebrate how they want, put a sock in it.

B....b....but its dangerous to both players and umpires.

Cameron cleaned up an umpire running and waving hus arms around after scoring. Could have ended badly all round.

I think AFL House should bring in a mid season stand rule for celebrating a goal. When the umpirre calls stand the player must stop but sure jumping on the spot waving arms is ok. But if they move off the spot after calling stand then the opposition get a 50m penalty from the centre square. Then they get moved 100m to the top of the goal square.

Wash rinse, repeat. AFL want more golas, goal reviews and advertising slots. This would be perfect to increase the fat cat executive bonuses. And talk about crowd engagement.....woo hoo the roof at Marvel will come off.

Kyle Mooney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Its Time Showtime GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Should players stop running during their goal celebrations?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back