Should we be renamed the Fremantle - Walyalup Dockers?

Remove this Banner Ad

So that's your family. What about those who have thousands of years connected to the land. That's the point of the indigenous rounds. You and Posh have no interest in the indigenous recognition of first nations people at it shows.
What about them? They represent 3% of the population. Fremantle has more meaning to more people.

I don’t really care about recognition. For my entire life I have witnessed an unending series of feelgoodery towards the indigenous and yet on any practical measure they are still as disadvantaged as ever. If it makes your heart warm that’s nice but I don’t care.

Instead of everyone doing comments and then people getting upset at those comments why don’t whoever started this thread put a poll up?

I reckon it will show the majority on Bigfooty would reject the proposed name change

Recent referendums showed exactly why a poll is not appropriate, resulting in more confirmation bias and greater separation.

It wouldn’t be decided on a thread here anyway. I won’t be changing this thread to a poll, it is a discussion.

Recent referendums showed exactly why a poll is not appropriate, resulting in more confirmation bias and greater separation.

It wouldn’t be decided on a thread here anyway. I won’t be changing this thread to a poll, it is a discussion.

Exactly

What about them? They represent 3% of the population. Fremantle has more meaning to more people.

I don’t really care about recognition. For my entire life I have witnessed an unending series of feelgoodery towards the indigenous and yet on any practical measure they are still as disadvantaged as ever. If it makes your heart warm that’s nice but I don’t care.

Wow!

What about them
They represent 3% of the population

Your attitude says it all

So that's your family. What about those who have thousands of years connected to the land. That's the point of the indigenous rounds. You and Posh have no interest in the indigenous recognition of first nations people at it shows.
Your virtue signalling gets quite tiresome

That's not even relevant as even that 3% don't use the tern Walyalup to describe anything. Taking away that it's not actually the indigenous word for Fremantle, has anyone actually used it in conversation ever when referring to the city itself?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not even relevant as even that 3% don't use the tern Walyalup to describe anything. Taking away that it's not actually the indigenous word for Fremantle, has anyone actually used it in conversation ever when referring to the city itself?

This is what I was getting at. My indigenous mates from Freo/Hamilton Hill/Coolbelup and Cockburn never used this word for Fremantle.

And my indigenous friends in Midland can't agree on what it means and some of the older one's mock it.

Anyway, it shouldn't change and I hope it doesn't.

Can’t believe I got sucked into this pathetic thread 😡

Posting this thread I had way too much faith in the internet / Freo Bigfooty. I still stand by it as a suitable route the club could take (but probably never will).

Apologies to the mods and any affected posters for any angst / issue caused.

Being very close to many indigenous peoplefrom the Southern Regions of Perth. Fremantle and down the coast.

I have never ever heard any of them use the term Walyalup for their mobs or their name of the land.

They do use many other names for their mobs.

So whilst it maybe used by some of the local mobs it is not representative of all of them

What is your issue? A no doesn't add anything to the thread
The thread title is a question

The post is a valid answer to the question

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we be renamed the Fremantle - Walyalup Dockers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back