Sibling ruckmen can't ruck. Are we worried?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toots Hibbert

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Oct 14, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man U,Packers,Feyenoord
Watched most of the Dogs v Saints game last night. Will Minson didn't have much effect while he was rucking. Given the lack of quality rucks in the Saints side I thought it was concerning that he couldn't have more impact.

Minson could possibly improve (maybe even a lot) if he had a decent ruck coach.

Adrian DeLuca at Carlton has looked pretty useless in the games I've seen him. Doesn't look to have much upside.

Given that these guys have lots of genes in common with their brothers at Port should we be in any way concerned?

I think Minson has had a good season in the Norwood reserves. He rucks and moves well. Completely different body shape to his brother.

I dont think Deluca will be much.

Warren Tredrea has brothers who don't play in the AFL, last I checked. He must be a dud.

Porthos said:
Warren Tredrea has brothers who don't play in the AFL, last I checked. He must be a dud.
Zing!

Will Minson didn't give one of his more powerful performances last night but he is a good player. Won't delist Hugh yet.

Matthew and Brad Lloyd

It's interesting. It's simple enough to think of good/bad footballer siblings but it's hard to think of ruck brother combos to compare to. The Maddens of course, they were both top level ruckmen. I don't know whether it's a lonely profession or you just never hear of the brother. Chris Natt was a solid 200 game ruckman for Port but his brother was a 5'8" back pocket. The Keatings - Clark's done a lot more than Aaron (although injury as we know didn't help). Dunno - who are some other ruck brother combos?

Gotta rush out and do some stuff now so can't spend much time on the ruck brother combo's.

Just a couple of points though:-

I'm not arguing that the sibling/genetic factor can be taken as a strong guide but it must be a factor to some degree.

I wouldn't go writing off a footballers potential because his older brother was rubbish. But for all the bad combos there are also good ones. Burgoynes, Cornes, Abletts...

Can people say that if there is a strong performing player in the AFL and his brother is in the draft that they don't take a longer look at him for that reason?

Fully agree that Will is a different player to Hugh but I've been concerned about DeLuca's potential from early on. He did give me reason for hope and swayed my opinion a bit earlier in the year but I tend toward a negative view of him. When I look at his brother I see no cause for optimism whereas if he was performing strongly I'd be that little bit more hopeful. That's all.

i think we need a 22-23yr old ruckmen. i heard someone else saying our 2nd round pick should go towards this.
deluca is a good player, he needs someone a little older to rollover with him when lade and brogan end up going.
never seen minson or giles play though...give them one more year. play them a few times and see whether they are worth it.

Will Minson is one of the biggest thugs I've ever seen. I watched him when we played the Bullies in Darwin. He gives cheap shots off the ball and is just a thug in general... I hear Hugh is more aggressive!! :eek: :p

almqvist said:
i think we need a 22-23yr old ruckmen. i heard someone else saying our 2nd round pick should go towards this.
deluca is a good player, he needs someone a little older to rollover with him when lade and brogan end up going.
never seen minson or giles play though...give them one more year. play them a few times and see whether they are worth it.

Definately a gap in the age profile of our ruck prospects, will be interesting to see how Choco manages this going fwd.

A key to our Premiership was the way we filled the gaps in our list through trades (Wakelin, Pickett, Hardwick).

Can't see why we can't try it again. Same shopping list but with a ruckman instead of the Picket type.

More on topic, I'm not worried - these guys take awhile to develop & we have Primus on the Job.
(EDIT: & the correlation suggested in the thread title has been refuted)

I tend towards the thinking that most ruckmen are made, not born that way.

Size + attitude + development = servicable ruckman.

Even high draft pick ruckman seem to be dissapointing for most of their carreers & I don't think they are worth it when you consider the number of less fashionable ruckman that eventually make significant contributions.

I'm thinking White, Gardiner, Fraser v Brogan, Lade & Clark Keating.

Definately to early to make a call on our young rucks yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sibling ruckmen can't ruck. Are we worried?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back