Silverchair - Straight Lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Silverchairs new song- Straight Lines

I must admit when I first haedr it on the radio today at work, I was somewhat disapointed, but seeing as I had to listen to Fox all day it was repeated a lot, and it grew on me I really like it and can't wait until the album is released.
Interested to hear other people opinions on it.
You can listen to it hear

Re: Silverchairs new song- Straight Lines

You can also watch the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DrGah0GuY

It doesn't jump out at me straight away, but at the same time I don't 'not' like it either. It's a grower.

I Don't like it
Pauline_Hanson.gif

I'd like to hear one of the anti-mainstream people's views on the song. I haven't heard it myself but am looking forward to it...does it pick up where they left off with Diorama (solid album)

I'd like to hear one of the anti-mainstream people's views on the song.

Next to no orchestral stuff like on Diorama (what's there is right back in the mix). I agree with the above post, its like a bloody Coldplay song, from the annoying repetitive vocals, overuse of piano/keyboards, simplistic drumming and guitar. Yuck.

In a word: generic.

And I had hopes for this new CD being good. A couple of the other songs that I've heard on Youtube sound a lot better than this one.

I heard it this morning. I don't mind it but feel is is just aimed to be a successful chart hit, not a great song.

I agree with the comparison to Coldplay - that is the new sound they must be following. I just hope there is some more actual rock on the album

Meh. Made the mistake of having high expectations.

I'm a huge fan of 'em but it sounds like someone from Nova commissioned the song. Sounds too Dissociatives for mine, and way too 'clean' if anyone can understand that.

Hopefully there's some heavier stuff on the album, because comparing this to what I expected, it's terrible. Hopefully it grows on me.

And I had hopes for this new CD being good. A couple of the other songs that I've heard on Youtube sound a lot better than this one.
That's more encouraging then, they were probably asked by the record company to make a lead single that was a poor Coldplay facsimile...hopefully it doesn't reflect the rest of the album.

Amazing song. If anything, Silverchair are taking the piss out of Coldplay. The video is an additional hint to that.

Can't wait for the album

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh. Made the mistake of having high expectations.

I'm a huge fan of 'em but it sounds like someone from Nova commissioned the song. Sounds too Dissociatives for mine, and way too 'clean' if anyone can understand that.

Hopefully there's some heavier stuff on the album, because comparing this to what I expected, it's terrible. Hopefully it grows on me.

I though the song wasnt too bad, and what was wrong with the dissociatives. for an off-project i though mac and john did pretty well.

On another note, does anyone know the release date/month for the new album.

I though the song wasnt too bad, and what was wrong with the dissociatives. for an off-project i though mac and john did pretty well.

On another note, does anyone know the release date/month for the new album.

Nothing wrong with the Dissociatives, just didn't think the song would sound like something they produced.

The album's due for release on the 31st of March.

Nothing wrong with the Dissociatives, just didn't think the song would sound like something they produced.

The album's due for release on the 31st of March.

I spose it does, i though The Dissociatives were more alternative than this song though.

As a song, it's actually not too bad. As a silverchair song, since they USED to be a good, dark, edgy Rock band (Freak is my favourite 'chair tune), it's dissapointing. Any kind of edge they once had seems to be gone. I would even go so far to say I wouldn't even call them Rock anymore. More pop/Rock....

As a song, it's actually not too bad. As a silverchair song, since they USED to be a good, dark, edgy Rock band (Freak is my favourite 'chair tune), it's dissapointing. Any kind of edge they once had seems to be gone. I would even go so far to say I wouldn't even call them Rock anymore. More pop/Rock....

For me diorama was their best album. Orchestral, melodic, lyrically outsstanding and a good hint of hard rock - just awesome. I don't know if this new album will equal it for me, as diorama was a very coming-of-age point for them, but i am hoping that this song won't be the best, but just a commercially pleasing headliner.

very disappointing to see the new direction silverchair has gone in, the days of frogstomp, freak show and neon ballroom were the highlights for the band, looks like that is gone. i just cant seem to accept the new silverchair. i know alot of ppl like it, but for me, the band finished after neon ballroom. and its quite frustrating to see the tripe they are dishing out now when u remember how good they were. i know alot of ppl disagree but in their grunge days silverchair were one of my favourite bands and now it seems as if they have completely turned on me, to follow the mainstream style of poppish rock. for god sakes they have a crappy little piano part at the intro of this new song. doesnt work for me, just disappointing when u remember how good they were

As a silverchair song, since they USED to be a good, dark, edgy Rock band (Freak is my favourite 'chair tune), it's dissapointing.

When they hell were they ever 'dark' or 'edgy'? Must be a different 'Silverchair' to the mainstream generic rockers that I'm thinking of.

When they hell were they ever 'dark' or 'edgy'? Must be a different 'Silverchair' to the mainstream generic rockers that I'm thinking of.

At the VERY beginning they were these things. Even when they went mainstream I thought they were great but if the rest of the album is like this first song then its a big :thumbsdown: from me.

Shame cos there one of my favorite live bands

Remove this Banner Ad

Silverchair - Straight Lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Back