simon buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

whats his role going to be for the club is he going to get a crack

dont expect much early doors, he's had a limited pre season so far i believe, he'll get a crack if injurys allow and best case scenario is he breaks into our midfield rotations, if not maybe try him as a pacy HB, but you never know what micks thinking, he may even try him as a tagger.

Hopefully he continues with his pre season training form, and plays in the NAB cup and practice matches, because if he is fit and in form, I rate him very close to our best 22, as a half back flanker/wingman who can add to our midfield rotation.

He is bigger then most would expect, at 189cm and he must be almost 90kgs (listed at 86), so he may be able to even play a defensive role on a medium sized forward.

dont expect much early doors, he's had a limited pre season so far i believe, he'll get a crack if injurys allow and best case scenario is he breaks into our midfield rotations, if not maybe try him as a pacy HB, but you never know what micks thinking, he may even try him as a tagger.

YOu are right, you don't, but you do get a good idea when Hine says he was drafted because we lost Cox and Clarke as attacking half back options... That gives a reasonable indication that he will be tried early on as an attaking half back.

Hopefully he continues with his pre season training form, and plays in the NAB cup and practice matches, because if he is fit and in form, I rate him very close to our best 22, as a half back flanker/wingman who can add to our midfield rotation.

He is bigger then most would expect, at 189cm and he must be almost 90kgs (listed at 86), so he may be able to even play a defensive role on a medium sized forward.

Phew. I thought we would be going into the season with only 9 medium sized defenders, but I feel much more comfortable with 10. Lucky we will get a couple more on the list next year with Perry and Young.

O'Brien, Maxwell, Goldack, Blight, Reed, Toovey, Maccaffer, Rusling (according to Brown), Reid even.

YOu are right, you don't, but you do get a good idea when Hine says he was drafted because we lost Cox and Clarke as attacking half back options... That gives a reasonable indication that he will be tried early on as an attaking half back.

Not necessarily.
It may just mean that a reshuffling will be done and a touted HFF will be moved back.

But as you said... Who knows!! :p

BTW, I think any lack of defense he had will be beaten out of him pretty quickly by MM.

Well from my observations at training yesterday, during the full ground match practice session, S.Buckley, O'Brien, Rounds and Anthony were all left up one of the ground, while "scrimmage" type situations began at the other.

The only time the ball cam up the Buckley/Anthony end was when the play was "perfect", as any mistake was followed by a whistle from a coach and play began again.

It was interesting to see Buckley standing back there with Harry though, probably gave an insight into the type of role MM and the coaching group see him playing if he is able to stay fit.

As I stated before, the one thing that got to me in regards to Buckley was his size, he was basically "huge", I'd compare him to Nick Maxwell in height and body shape.

Well from my observations at training yesterday, during the full ground match practice session, S.Buckley, O'Brien, Rounds and Anthony were all left up one of the ground, while "scrimmage" type situations began at the other.

The only time the ball cam up the Buckley/Anthony end was when the play was "perfect", as any mistake was followed by a whistle from a coach and play began again.

It was interesting to see Buckley standing back there with Harry though, probably gave an insight into the type of role MM and the coaching group see him playing if he is able to stay fit.

As I stated before, the one thing that got to me in regards to Buckley was his size, he was basically "huge", I'd compare him to Nick Maxwell in height and body shape.

Nathan Brown/Travis Cloke are huge.... Maxwell is a rake!! lol

Do you think we should come up with a nickname for S.Buckley? I kept thinking you were talking about N.Buckley Mattys.... :p

Im thinking Simo will be used as a tagger, everytime Malthouse has mentioned him he talks about how attacking he is but can he be a stopper?

So im thinking he'll be tried as a tagger at least in the NAB cup

Im thinking Simo will be used as a tagger, everytime Malthouse has mentioned him he talks about how attacking he is but can he be a stopper?

So im thinking he'll be tried as a tagger at least in the NAB cup

So if everytime MM has mentioned him, he talks about how attacking he is, and if Hine said that part of his appeal was that he could fill a gap vacated by Cox / Clarke, what makes you think he will be tried as a tagger?

I don't get everyone's obsession with taggers. You don't always need one. If you have a decent accountable midfield, then you only need taggers for the superstars like Judd, Ablett, etc. I doubt we will ever have a "tagger" full time, but for defensive roles MM will just rotate players from within the team (ie like he has done with Thomas on Dal Santo, or at times with each of Toovey, Barham, Sidey.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if everytime MM has mentioned him, he talks about how attacking he is, and if Hine said that part of his appeal was that he could fill a gap vacated by Cox / Clarke, what makes you think he will be tried as a tagger?

I don't get everyone's obsession with taggers. You don't always need one. If you have a decent accountable midfield, then you only need taggers for the superstars like Judd, Ablett, etc. I doubt we will ever have a "tagger" full time, but for defensive roles MM will just rotate players from within the team (ie like he has done with Thomas on Dal Santo, or at times with each of Toovey, Barham, Sidey.)
Woodie Malthouse has said he will be tried as a tagger at the AGM, in the balck and white year book.

Whether you see the need or not he will get used as a tagger at least once

Woodie Malthouse has said he will be tried as a tagger at the AGM, in the balck and white year book.

Whether you see the need or not he will get used as a tagger at least once

Okay, well if MM said he will use him as a tagger then I am inclined to agree with you... :)

Time will tell whether he ever actually does or doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

simon buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back